SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Grape schiacciata

User
10 years ago

What a Sunday night treat. All from accidental foods that appeared at just the right moment. Grapes at church this AM..from a friend...pizza dough with Semolina that I made night before last and 1/2 left...Herb de Provence from a trip to NOLA and our fave Italian grocery...go figure..French Provence:) Anyway..here is the result. Served with a lovely pasta dish that I threw together. Conchiglie con Salsiccia e Peperoni. If you want recipes let me know...would love to share ! c

rising :

baked with Herbs de Provence and raw sugar and EVOO:

pasta and wine and bread !

yum...

Comments (15)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

pasta and wine and bread !

Life is wonderful!

dcarch

• maggie2094
    10 years ago

That looks amaze! Is schiacciata like focaccia? I would love the recipe...can just imagine it on a cheese board.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

I agree, Maggie, it does look amazing, and I'd also love the recipe.

Annie

• jvanderh
    10 years ago

How lovely! Thank you for sharing :-)

• caliloo
    10 years ago

I make this quite often - yours looks awesome! And sometimes I do change up the grapes for savory toppings more like a focaccia....

Alexa

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have never made focaccia so can't say but I think the formulas for the crust are sweeter and more oil when you make the grape one. My crust was a semolina based crust from James McNair's Pizza . The next time I make this I will use the recipe on Wild Yeast for her crust. My pic looks exactly like hers but I want to just see how it turns out.

crust:
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 c warm water
    2 tsp ADY - combine these and let foam

2 1/4 c "OO" pizza flour
    1 c semolina

1/4 c EVOO

Mix all together and knead till smooth. This is a lovely dough ! Let rise one hour. Fold fold and let rise 1 hr in the fridge till puffy. Take out and shape for pizza ...let rise 30 min. What I did was save 1/2 the dough so it was in the fridge 2 days. Wow..it was lovely dough. I simply folded about 200grams of whole seedless grapes into the cold dough. I then let it rise on the counter for an hour. I patted it out till it was still pretty thick and pressed another 50 grams or so of whole grapes into the top. Let rest another 30 min and brushed heavily with EVOO and sprinkled with the raw sugar and the Herbs. I placed in a preheated 400 oven and baked about 35 min till it was 212 internal temp. Yum...

Pasta dish if from The Italian Country Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper

saute 1# sliced sweet Italian sausages till brown. Add 3c red wine and simmer about 20 min. Set aside. Saute 1/2 chopped med. red onion, several cloves garlic minced, 1/2 med stalk chopped celery with leaves, 1 large sweet red pepper diced in EVOO. Add one hot chile to saute and remove after the saute is done. Add a handful of fresh basil leaves at end and sprinkle of dried oregano. Add 14 oz can crushed Italian tomatoes and all of sausage mixture. Simmer 15 min and set aside to rest ..preferably in the fridge overnight to let flavors blend. Don't over cook..this sauce is best cooked just till blended and then let it rest. Serve over med shells. grated parmesan.

Thank you for the sweet comments !! It is a meal I am going to repeat often this Summer. I want to try black grapes that you have to remove the seeds...that is the kind you see mostly in the recipes I looked at. c

• maggie2094
    10 years ago

Can't wait to try! Does sound like delish combo.

10 years ago

"--- I want to try black grapes that you have to remove the seeds...that is the kind you see mostly in the recipes I looked at. c---"

How about swamp grapes? Very different in taste and texture.

dcarch

• cloudy_christine
    10 years ago

Looks great! I'm definitely going to make it. I will try to get away with other flour because I have so many different flours now I don't want to buy 00.
    I'm curious about what wine worked well with both the concentrated acidic tomato sauce and the sugared schiacciata.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

maggie let me know and post pics...on a side note it is delicious left over for breakfast !!

dc...hm...I am in the land of swamp grapes ! I personally never eat them..taste like eyeballs and have a very thick skin ! Just my review of them . I think you don't want to large or juicy a grape for this bread. Will let you know when I try different grapes.

cloudy ! haha..cheap ! It was a Gnarly Head Pinot Noir. Was quite good actually. Let me know how your bread turns out and what grapes you use..please post pics. c

• caliloo
    10 years ago

Trailrunner - last time I made Schiacciata I used the tiny champagne grapes - if you can find them they were wonderful on this. And I am howling at your description - "....taste like eyeballs and have a very thick skin ! LOLOLOL! Def something I will not be in a hurry to try.

Alexa

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alexa...what you should REALLY be asking yourself is " how in the H#4% does she know what eyeballs taste like LOL ??" I actually meant that they feel like eyeballs in your mouth :) But you get my drift. I have read that the champagne grapes do very well in this..now I just have to find them....small AL town...we'll see. You make it and post pics . c

• artsyshell
    10 years ago

Looks wonderful. I have made something similar in the past, but mine didn't have semolina in the dough. I'll give your version a try. Thanks!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ss...please post back ! Most recipes don't have semolina..I was using my pizza dough. At the link below on Wild Yeast she uses it too. It is very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: grape schiacciata

10 years ago

I love to eat those eyeballs. :-)

They have a very distinct sweetness and texture. There are the green ones and black ones here sometimes in the stores selling from $5.00 to $8.00 a lb.

The thick skin make them easy to peel. Bedside tasting good, I eat them because:

âÂÂ---------To date, in vitro studies have shown positive effects of muscadine phenolics against blood, colon andprostate cancers. -------âÂÂ

dcarch

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida