Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
7 day cooked Quinoa safe to eat?

Posted by Melissaki5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 18:51

I made a chili last friday and one of the ingredients was cooked quinoa. I was thinking of doubling the recipe so I doubled the quinoa and then of course it was too much so I had some leftover and planned to make a quinoa tabouli (sp?) later this week. Well it was a very bad week and I never had time to do so and the quinoa is still sitting in my fridge. Is it safe to eat? I did a search and am getting different answers.
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 7 day cooked Quinoa safe to eat?

Well, I would . . . As long as it doesn't smell or taste off, if it is pasty that's a bad sign.

o

It depends on how cold is you refrigerator, how much salt you used, and what else is in it.

If it is just quinoa, what is the worst thing it can turn into, wine?

dcarch

o

Personally, I would toss it, but would consider it borderline safe if:

-The refrigerator temperature has been colder than 39-degrees F.

-Not a lot of opening and closing the refrigerator (which raises the temperature each time).

-It doesn't smell sweet(ish) or fermented, or has mold growing on it,

-It hasn't been in-and-out of the refrigerator - moving from a safe cold temperature to room temperature several times during the week. As an example, families who take milk out of the refrigerator and let it sit for a prolonged time at room temperature before placing it back in the refrigerator may find their milk sours faster than someone who uses what they need and immediately places it back in the refrigerator and maintains the colder than 40-degrees F food safe temperature. The longer it sits at an unsafe room temperature, the faster bacteria grows.

-I would also suggest it be thoroughly cooked if you decide to use it, and not used for a cold salad type dish.

There are so many spelling variations for "tabouli", they all look misspelled to me no matter which one I use ;-).

Tabbouli, Tabbouleh, Taboula, Tabouleh, Tabouli, Tabboulé or Taboulé (and probably others)

-Grainlady

o

There's only one spelling, so far as I know, it's just not in our alphabet: تبولة‎ t

:D

o

Thanks for the replies I decided to toss it because I again did not have time to use it today and figure I'd rather not risk getting myself or Dh sick to save a dollar in quinoa. Dh's father past away last Friday night and it was quite a rough week. Today we had to meet the priest at the grave site for a prayer and ritual of eating koliva (wheat berries mixed with raisins walnuts and parsley) and tossing some of it on the grave.

o

Condolences to you both.

o

I'm sorry to hear about your FIL.

o

Sorry about your stressful week and loss.
I'm glad you tossed it. Sometimes emotional stresses can weaken your defenses and leave an opening for digestive turmoil. A normal healthy week and all might pass fine but i have a 3 day limit, DH will take that to 4days. My pups have no limit.
I treat any cooked grains just like any other leftovers. Cool quickly and into the fridge. Freeze what i don't think i will be used within a couple days. After 24hrs i like to bring any leftover back up to a hot temp before using.

A forum exists somewhere for chefs and caterers that help each other through some trying recipes dealing with large quantity. Pretty interesting and difficult getting all the elements prepped and safely. One company does prepared meals for the elderly and has in-house testing. They have witnessed a change in cooked grain after 36hrs even quickly cooled and kept very cold. So they limit the use to 24hrs for safety reasons.

Our systems are designed to easily deal with day to day toxins/bugs/environmental crud.
Best to not intentionally add more stress to that process.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here