Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adolph's meat tenderizer?

Posted by bob_b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 18:42

Does this stuff work? If so, is it at the expense of flavor and/or texture?
RB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adolph's meat tenderizer?

Here's a thread full of info from 3 years ago!

Here is a link that might be useful: Adolph's

o

Adolph's is available here,
In S Texas.
I use it quite regularly.

Some posters in the linked thread say it affects the texture and flavor of the meat.
Personally, I find this only happens if too much is used.
Used according to the directions,
It works very well.

Some of us, as we age,
Tend to develop a few problems with chewing,
With dentures. etc.
Meat tenderizer is a God send!
Much easier (and cheaper)to keep on hand,
Than pineapple juice is.
Doesn't change the flavor of your meat.
Also allows for 'last minute' decisions about what to cook.

Just remember to adjust amounts of any other seasoning
(that contains salt)
You might be using.

Rusty

o

If you aren't using the seasoned stuff, there is no salt....it's just papyin, an enzyme that breaks down the fibers in the meat.
As said in the thread linked, I don't like what it does to the texture of the meat....even if you only use a little. I don't like the mouth feel of "partially pre-digested meat"....because that's what it does.
But It's great for bee stings!
Linda C

o

Read the label.

"Original" has salt listed as the first ingredient.
"Seasoned" has several different spices in it.

I stand by my original statement.

I've added a link to their web site,
You don't have to take any one's word for it,
You can check it out yourself.

And no, I have no connection with Lawry's, Adolph's,
Or any one else.
Just setting the record straight.

Rusty

Here is a link that might be useful: Inhgredients

o

Bob, you would be better off using a particular cooking method suited for tougher cuts of meat than to use meat tenderizers. Or you can also pound meat to tenderize. Just depends on the cut.

Linda's "partially pre-digested meat", is the perfect description and why I made the above suggestions.

Ann

o

Having worked in a steakhouse where we got the primal cuts of meat and then cut them into steaks ourselves, I can tell you that most commerically processed meat is tenderized before you buy it. We would soak the steaks in tenderizer before serving and it was a BIG problem if we ran out of the stuff, because everyone's steak would come back as tough. Lately, I've been purchasing meat from a Korean grocery store chain here in Atlanta. Was enjoying their lower prices alot until I bought some filet mignons for the holiday. They were tough as could be. I finally figured out that they probably don't tenderize the beef before selling the way we are used to. So I use Adolphs for this. Works great. I do use less salt when I have used this, and agree that you can use too much which makes a mealy texture on the meat surface.

Susan

o

Many, many years ago when my mom and grandmother were teaching me how to make pot roast I remember being taught to use Adolph's. I don't remember when or why I stopped using it but I haven't used it in over 20 years I'll bet. I don't think mom uses it anymore either. I don't remember a bad texture from it though, only delicious pot roast. Now yall have made me hungry for pot roast.

o

Yes, I think the papain in meat tenderizer breaks down the proteins in bee venom/stings. I know it helps, as does a paste made of baking soda.

When we owned the bar, we used to buy a liquid meat tenderizer and used that on the steak, and it made them very tender.I thought it was actually "mushy", customers loved it.

Because I'm so strange about texture, I don't use meat tenderizers, I do think it changes the texture (otherwise, how would it be more tender?). Dad loved the stuff, though, and I attributed that to the fact that I still have all my teeth and Dad had dentures which occasionally made his mouth sore.

I do have a handy little gadget that has a bunch of metal spikes that is used for tenderizing meat, but it changes the texture too. I don't necessarily find the changed texture to be offensive, but it's more like cubed steak.

As usual, to each his own. I don't think you'll know if it's offensive unless you try it. If you don't like it, take it from the kitchen and put it in the bathroom for bug bites and bee stings.

Annie

o

Annie - Are you talking about a jaccard? I've been tempted to buy one and experiment. Do you use it much?

o

I have used Adolf's meat tenderizer and Adolf's original meat marinade for 30 years. Swear by it. Makes all meats more tender and flavorful. Trouble is, it is very hard to find in our local grocery stores. I now buy cases online in one year supplies so I have it on hand when I am grilling steaks and roasts. We like to marinade the meat overnight in the refrigerator in a vacuum bag to infuse it well. Then to the grill next day. Beef just does not get better than a tri-tip roast cooked medium well on the BBQ after first marinading overnight in Adolfs.

Read the label. No real worrisome ingredients. Papaya extract "papain" is the active one. But, since salt is prominent as well, we don't add additional salt to the meat. The marinade supplies all that is necessary for flavor.

o

I've used Adolf's meat tenderizer for for 25 years at least. It does a fine job. The only time I had a problem was when I put it on the meat too far ahead. That time, it did mess up the texture of the meat. It's not something to be left on marinating over night. I just tenderize about a hour before grilling. Adds great flavor. After the tenderizer is on, then I rub the meat with Gravy Master. Makes a fine steak!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here