Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very thin cut bottom round: uses and kind of heat?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 18:34

I asked my husband to pick up thin cut beef of stir frying or fajitas. He came home with thin cut bottom round. From what I can tell, this will be too tough for either one of what I wanted it for. Or am I wrong? It's supposed to need braising.

I am thinking of cutting it into strips and using the pressure cooker, then making a gravy with it. Like my Mom's simmered steak, though I don't know what other people call it. Does this cut lend itself to pressure cooking? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very thin cut bottom round: uses and kind of heat?

Another way to use that cut is to stuff it, roll it up, and tie in a couple places with kitchen twine or plain dental floss. Then you can brown the rolls, add liquid to come up about halfway, cover and simmer until tender, turning the rolls over once or twice. You can thicken the cooking liquid and use it as a gravy.

Stuffing ideas are endless. The last ones I made, I spread the meat with fig jam and covered with fresh spinach leaves.

o

I have a pair of OXO kitchen and herb shears that will cut a thin cut of raw meat like this into the small pieces you want. I find this pair of kitchen shears invaluable in the kitchen. We don't always need to cut with a knife, and the shears does a better job on slippery meat, like chicken, or when removing the skin from chicken. The shears come apart so you can easily clean them after each use.

Partially-frozen meat also cuts more easily if using a sharp knife.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: OXO Kitchen and Herb Shears

o

I use flank for fajitas and tacos but don't see why it would not work. I slice it partially frozen for easy super thin slices. Skirt is what i used recently and was very good but did need more than my usual 1-2 hour marinade. Skirt has more flavor but can be tough and chewy if not careful.
Roulades, rouladen, or brachiole all great uses for that cut as mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here