Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is this?

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 18:19

Just now I found 3...that's right, 3! unopened jars of hoisen sauce in my pantry. Plus, there is an opened one in the fridge. I found these while looking for the oyster sauce to make beef lo mein. I don't know how this happens!

I have been know to "stockpile" jars of mustard or more vinegars than I could ever use, but hoisen sauce?

Do you find that you stock up on some items that you have plenty of? Please tell me that some of you do this too???

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is this?

Mustard and mayo. I discovered multiple jars of both as I was cleaning out the cupboards this winter. The dates on the jars were good so they were donated to a foodshelf.

o

I just found 4 cans of Sichuan mustard greens in a cupboard, so yes I have stuff! I also found 5 or 6 kinds of dried raisins, golden raisins, currants, cranberries, dates, figs etc. I have no idea why I have all this fruit. I must have wanted to make fruit cake or something. We also have about a dozen jars of peanut butter. This was the reason for my search, I needed peanut butter for the suet cakes. I also found 5 kinds of rice noodles and wrappers , and 3 kinds of maple syrup, and various starches (potato, tapioca, waterchestnut powder, wheat starch). And a can of soda we purchased at least 3 years ago and moved from Massachusetts to New Mexico.

The bigger mysteries lurk in the fridge and freezer where anything can appear without notice. DH just discovered cooked baby back ribs. I found a tiny container of oil from anchovies (this is for the cats) in the fridge.

Don't we all have food hoarded everywhere? I'm prepared for a siege.

Cheryl

o

I have many such things. I call this unpremeditated stockpile my "401k". I don't have to buy Asian sauces, BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, dried beans, vinegar, hairspray, lipstick, moisturizer, q-tips, or cleaning products for the rest of my life. Or as the HG suggested, we could barter.

o

My particular obsession seems to be jarred roasted peppers. Of course, I do use a lot of them, but whenever they are on sale, I feel the need to "stock up" and get them home to discover I already have 3, 4, 5 jars in the house. Oh well... like I said, I do use a lot of them. My current favorite recipe (which I use over lots of stuff) is:

Roasted Red Pepper Coulis
Ingredients
3 large red bell peppers (can sub jarred roasted peppers)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Directions
1.Roast the red peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the peppers are blackened all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and let cool completely. Peel the peppers and discard the skins, seeds and cores. Coarsely chop the peppers.
2.In a food processor, combine the peppers with the olive oil, shallot and vinegar and puree until very smooth. Season the coulis with salt and white pepper.

o

I think I have three or four jars of hoisen sauce,

I use about 1/2 a jar for making BBQ ribs each time and 1/4 jar for roasted pork each time.

dcarch

o

dcarch, maybe you could offer up that BBQ rib recipe so she can use up that hoisen sauce.

The older I get, the harder it is for me to remember what all I have on my basement storage shelves. There was a time when I knew every little thing and I could even go to the grocery without a list...HAHA...those days are long gone now! GAH!

o

There is a certain mustard I really like ( Louensenf , medium) which is only get available in the city, so when I'm there I buy 3 or 4 jars..........problem is I'm there quite often!

Alexa, what do you use the coulis with...I have tons of red roasted peppers in the freezer.

o

dcarch, I would love that hoisen BBQ sauce recipe! I was thinking I would cook some chicken thighs today and could use your tried & true recipe.

Teresa

o

Teresa, I don't have a habit of cooking with recipes, a very bad habit I admit. And there has been complains and complains on this CF about that.

I happen to be having BBQ ribs and roasted pork this afternoon, I will try to post my sloppy cooking habit later.

dcarch

o

I don't usually cook with recipes either . Most things I just wing but I can describe what I do and often have. Even when I use a recipe I rarely use it as written.....which makes duplicating it difficult I will admit!

We love ribs and I'm always looking for ways to change them up. Even if you just describe what you do , given it's a sauce we can likely tweak to our like.

o

I think many, if not most of us here do not use recipes.

But, if someone asks me for a recipe, I can usually give them an idea of what I did, with approximate measurements so that they can then make it or adapted it again to suit their own taste.

Ann

o

I feel so much better now I think I would be called a recipe abuser I look at the pics read the ingredient and make my own. As for stocking up sage is the culprit in my home because I really don't like turkey every time I cook one I think I must be out of sage not sure why but last time I noticed I had 3 full packages plus 2 open jars. I think I should start making stuffing with fried chicken.

o

Chase - this is where the original recipe came from, but I like it on baked/broiled fish or chicken. Also very tasty on other omelet type things with other fillings.
Alexa

Mushroom Spinach Soufflé Roll Rolled Omelet
Ingredients:
4 T. butter
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
2 cups milk
6 eggs
2 bunches cleaned fresh spinach OR 2 10-oz packages frozen spinach
1 lb. mushrooms
8 oz cream cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
Melt butter in a sauce pan, blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the milk, bringing the mixture to boil. Stir constantly until thickened. Cool mixture. Add the egg yolks and beat. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold them into the cooled sauce. Line a greased jelly roll pan with waxed paper, then butter and flour the waxed paper. Pour the soufflé mixture over the waxed paper, spreading lightly to form an even layer. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until nicely browned. While soufflé is baking make the filling. Sauté the spinach and mushrooms in butter until tender and liquid has been reduced. Add the cream cheese and mix well. Season to taste. Set aside but keep warm. Turn soufflé immediately onto a towel. Carefully remove waxed paper. Roll up lengthwise with the towel inside. After a minute or so, unroll. Spread filling evenly over the soufflé. Roll up jelly roll style with the help of the towel. Serve immediately!
This can be made the night before and reheated at 325 degrees in the morning.
Roasted Red Pepper Coulis
Ingredients
3 large red bell peppers
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Directions
1.Roast the red peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until the peppers are blackened all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl and let cool completely. Peel the peppers and discard the skins, seeds and cores. Coarsely chop the peppers.
2.In a food processor, combine the peppers with the olive oil, shallot and vinegar and puree until very smooth. Season the coulis with salt and white pepper.

o

At one time I had three or four jars of capers because I could never remember whether I was out when I saw them. I do keep one in the cupboard and an opened one in the fridge. I do stock up on chili sauces when I find interesting ones, but I go through them rather quickly as well. I have several different types of Thai curry paste, but they have different flavors, as do the three or four bottles of soy sauce that I have. On Saturday, I found Yuzu juice at Surfas, and so now I will not have to buy Ponzu sauce and can make my own. My Yuzu tree has just started putting out blossoms, and so I'm expecting fruit by fall but will have to wait and see. The Yuzu juice was expensive, but I expect it to go pretty far. I'll probably freeze part of it. I don't expect the bottled juice to be as good as the fresh that I will get, but it should be good enough to add to soy sauce to make Ponzu. Now I have to remember not to buy Ponzu sauce, but I am out of it, and am getting low on soy sauces.

Lars

o

I always have multiples 'cause we maintain a one-year food storage program. But, I always know what's there by my spread sheet that we've trained ourselves to use faithfully. This summer & fall we'll be shopping like crazy people 'cause we lost so much in Sandy. BTW, freeze-dried stuff doesn't hold up very well in a flood! (grin)

Lars, we really like Ponzu sauce and use it frequently. I don't know how to make it. Do you have a recipe?

/tricia

o

Here are the ingredients I use (or will use) for Ponzu sauce:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Yuzu juice, or (1/4 cup orange juice + 2 tbsp lemon juice)
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar (can be sweet, if preferred)

Mix ingredients together and store in a jar or bottle in the fridge. I use lime juice when I do not have lemons, and I do like to vary the citrus flavors. I use less orange juice when I have Meyer lemons. You can vary it however you like, but the Yuzu has a distinctive flavor that you cannot exactly reproduce with other citrus. I have a Yuzu/red pepper sauce that I like also, and it is made with yuzu zest and chili plus salt. It's pretty expensive also and only comes in tiny jars, and so I will make that also when I have Yuzu fruit.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here