Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boston Cream Pie

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 18:18

At least 45 years ago I used either a Betty Crocker or Pillsbury package mix to make a Boston Cream Pie. It was good enough to serve to company. I can't recall how many decades it has been since I made one and my DIL recently asked for one. I couldn't find a mix in Wegman's or the local Mom and Pop store so I ordered one to be made by the Wegman's bakery. I have no idea how good or bad it will be and it cost $10.50. I didn't even ask about its size but I figure about the size of a single cake layer. Does anyone know of a current package recipe?

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boston Cream Pie

I've never made one from a package, but I can recommend this recipe. I've making this version for 35 years.

Boston Cream Pie
This cake has been a favourite since 1978.

Source: Woman's Day Old-Fashioned Desserts
(minor changes)

1/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffly. Add the egg and
beat until creamy.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add alternately with
the combined milk and vanilla.

Turn the batter into a greased and floured 9-inch round layer cake pan.
Bake in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes, or until the cake springs
back when lightly touched in the center.

Cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool completely; Place
the cake on a serving plate and split horizontally into two layers with
a serrated knife. Carefully remove the top layer.

Fill with the chilled Cream Filling. Replace the top half and pour the
warm Chocolate Icing over the top, spreading only to the edges. Chill.
(When allowed to stand for several hours, the filling seeps into the
cake, making the cake and filling seem almost as one.)

Cream Filling

1/2 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk

Combine the sugar, flour, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in the
milk. Cook over low heat, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
Boil, stirring for 1 minute. Beat the egg yolks slightly. Gradually
stir in about half the thickened sauce. Return to the heat and cook.
stirring 2 or 3 minutes longer to take away the flour taste. Remove
from the heat and blend in the butter. Strain into a bowl. Cool for a
few minutes, then blend in the vanilla. Cover and cool, then chill.

Chocolate Icing

2 squares of chocolate
1 cup sifted icing sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt the chocolate and butter the microwave on medium low power. Stir
until smooth, and blend in the icing sugar and hot water. Stir until
smooth and slightly thickened (do not beat). Stir in the vanilla. Use
immediately.

o

According to the link, Betty Crocker still makes a BC pie mix. I also saw references to a Duncan Hines mix, but some also mentioned not finding it anymore.

Well GW says my link is invalid & won't let me post it, but I Googled "Boston Cream pie mix" & came up with the result.

o

I made one from scratch for Easter from the Cook's Illustrated cookbook. Grandma used to use the Farm Journal recipe.

I've never made one from a mix, though, and don't remember seeing a mix anywhere locally.

ANnie

o

My mom used that same mix to make our Boston Cream Pies and it was very good --- yes! good enough to serve company.

o

I've never made one from a mix, but I have made Ann_Ts, recipe and it is excellent!

o

Ann T--Your recipe looks like something I want to try. I was turned off by the recipes that said to use instant vanilla pudding. Also, I will continue to search for mixes since some apparently still do exist. thanks everyone!
Nancy

o

Nancy, I'm just wondering........Wouldn't a Boston Cream Pie/Cake Mix, also include an instant pudding for the custard?

~Ann

o

Ann--
The mix I used had a good tasting cream filling, that's why I would like to find the same mix now. However, with all the healthful reduction of fat in recipes the old mix formula may not be the same.
Nancy

o

I haven't seen a mix in years and I used one all time time. I'm copying Ann T's for sure as it looks so yummy. The custard mix was included in the box along with a one layer cake and chocolate icing. Just talking about that mix the other day with my husband. He said he would love to have one. Did a store search again and no luck so now will make Ann 's. Thank you.

o

I was prepared to offer Ann T's recipe as soon as I saw the title of this post, but she beat me to it.

Boston Cream Pie is one of my husband's favorites and I was looking for a good recipe to make it for Father's Day a couple years ago. Ann T offered hers and it has become a family favorite.

o

Ann, how do you think this recipe would be if I used reconstituted powdered milk for the milk? I bought powdered milk for recipes that use milk because we never have milk on hand (other than coconut milk), but I generally use it in pancakes or other recipes with stronger flavors. Should I use coconut milk instead? I think I would like the coconut flavor. Or should I just buy a pint of milk?

Lars

o

Lars, I don't see why you couldn't use powdered milk.

I wouldn't use the coconut milk, but that is just a personal preference. I wouldn't want my Boston Cream Pie to taste like coconut.

~Ann

o

Thanks - I'll try powdered milk. It's worked well in other things that I've baked, and since there is chocolate in the pie, it should be fine.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here