SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaun_gw

What's For Dinner? #272

shaun
16 years ago

Tonight was Chicken Cacciatore with penne pasta and Garlic Rolls. UM UM Good!

Comments (102)

• canarybird01
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ann how I wish we could get nice thick pieces of halibut like yours. It looks just perfect. I recently bought some of what was labelled "halibut" here but it was just a thin small fillet of fish and didn't have that flavour or chunkiness. Guess I'll have to wait until we get to Sidney again. Oh and I have bought fish there at that place in Sidney down on the dock...the one painted bright blue.
    I did find fish in Canada to be expensive though.

Marigene I'm sure you could give those wrinkled potatoes a try but I don't think they would have the same flavour as those we buy. There are some unique potato varieties here which apparently are only grown in Canary Islands and in the Andes mountains of South America, from where these Canary potatoes originated. The climate in both places is apparently similar. There are several types of these old varieties, called papas bonitas, (beautiful potatoes), papas negras, (black potatoes due to the outer skin colour) and the tastiest and most sought after which are the papas bonitas yema de huevo (called egg yolk potatoes because of the inner golden colour.) All these varieties are floury, starchy potatoes with a wonderful flavour not found in others. They are also expensive. Sizes run from walnut shell size, to that of a golf ball and largest is as big as a hen's egg. All are riddled with many indented eyes.
    Here are a couple of photos I took recently in a local street market.

The prices for the best of these is 8 Euros per kilo which works out at US/CAN $6.40 per pound - not cheap. Another variety in the photo is at 6 Euros per kilo or $4.80 per pound. And beside them is a normal potato at US/CAN 65 cents per pound.
    Here's a website in English with interesting facts about the Canary Island potatoes, with a lovely photo of ancient varieties.

Getting back to what we've been eating....apart from a lovely Parisian schnitzel in the Austrian restaurant the other day, we finished the deli chicken yesterday, having it cold with mango chutney, roasted potatoes and another mixed salad. We sat outside on the patio in the sun, despite a chilly breeze, and finished off lunch with a mixed fruit plate, which included our first honeydew melon of the year, topped with sugarless peach yoghurt and almond crumbles.

We're going to have salmon again today. Sun is beautiful and the blackbirds are really going for that dry catfood I've put outside on the patio. I hope they leave some for the cats!

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: A Second Site in English re Canary Island Potatoes

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness as usual all the meals look and sound great.
    Some mighty fine winging Kathleen, both the chicken and the Alfredo ish ! LOL

Ann that halibut looks perfect, so lovely and moist. Must pick some up at the fishmongers today.

Marigene the quiche looks amazing. I'm still a quiche virgin...can you imagine?

Stacey that picture is fantastic! I've never seen flatiron steak here. Would I know it by another name?

Sharon as always your picture send me dreaming.

Here is what we had for dinner last night. No idea what got me craving some! LOL

• Related Discussions

Thermador Model SMW 272--replace the microwave

Q

Comments (106)
    Another huge thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed to this thread. So much info here for a very specific problem that we all share. I too have Theramador SEMW272BS/02 combo with a MBBS/01 microwave (made in 2004). The microwave went out about 3 months ago and I just wish that I had found this thread sooner! I ended up purchasing 3 separate microwaves trying to make them fit in the space and the to the trim/sheet metal spacers (luckily I was able to return all of them once I found this thread). Big thanks to @Oren L your note about measuring the distance of the front feet was 100% accurate and I was able to get the LG LMC2075ST within the hour from the Best Buy near me. This was a total hallelujah moment (not only that I found this thread, but it was actually in stock). As others have mentioned, once you have the correct replacement, the trim fits just right (except for the back panel because of the back bulge) and the process is really quick and easy (about 1-2 hours). For those of you who have searched through the bowels of the internet searching for this information... congrats, you have found the holy grail! You have probably been told by Thermador, home appliance dealers, and various repairmen, that what you're trying to do is impossible. This thread proves the power of the internet bringing us together to share information is so powerful. As others have said in the thread, this info will save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars and hours and hours of time (this isn't hyperbole if you've found this thread because you have the same problem). If you gain valuable info here, please continue to pay it forward by posting your experience for the next person.
    ...See More

Zone 5a - Marvin LoE 272 or LoE 366

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for all the great advice. Another thing I thought about, especially in response to Eastbay10's message above, is that winter here lasts 8 months or so, versus a short summer. So winter considerations should have more weight in this decision and 272 glass would be better. On the other hand, I will say that even in the winter, that bedroom gets very warm on a sunny day, due to its unobstructed 3rd-floor SE exposure. So in that case, perhaps 366 glass would be better. Sigh. I am concerned about the amount of tinting I might notice with the 366 glass. I love my view of trees and sky out these windows, and wouldn't want that altered or diminished. And, it should be noted that right now I have 1991 Pella Prolines with clear glass, rotting sashes and tons of draft. So new Marvin Ultimates with 272 glass would be such an enormous improvement. Relative to that degree of improvement, windows with 366 glass may only be a small margin better than 272 against the sun so as not to be noticeable except for more tint of my view. What do you think? Any other advice or response to my thought process would be welcome. This post was edited by Mrs_Nyefnyef on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 13:31
    ...See More

Cardinal LoE-272 + i89 vs LoE-272 | Milgard Ultra and Fleetwood

Q

Comments (8)
    I think you may have been look at the centigrade side of the chart. Seattle hasn’t reached 0F since 1950. Since 2010 the record low has been 14F. https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/WA/Seattle/extreme-annual-seattle-low-temperature.php The design day temp is 24F http://www.seattle.gov/documents/Departments/SDCI/Codes/SeattleEnergyCode/2012SECWAAppendixC.pdf The RH numbers from cardinals site are indoor levels. In my neck of the woods I can’t conceive of a house naturally getting to 50% indoor humidity when it is 20F outside, and out average outdoor RH hovers around 65% at that time of year. That said, I certainly defer to Windows on Washington’s real-world experience in your area. You climate is sufficiently mild that there may not be much practical benefit from i89. If the home is tightly sealed enough such that you have an indoor RH in excess of 50% when it’s well below freezing outside, you probably should have an ERV/HRV. High indoor humidity when it’s that cold out will likely cause other problems over time.
    ...See More

Low e 272 Upstairs Windows With Clear Glass on Bottom Windows?

Q

Comments (12)
    Jan, thanks and I totally missed the Seattle in your original post... I think LoE 180 (179 has been discontinued) might be the ideal solution for you. The U-factor would be slightly higher (worse) than if using either 272 or 366, but Seattle is a mild climate where the difference is minimal. LoE 180 is intended for high solar heat gain applications and because of that it's usually installed on glass surface 3, but in your case I would request it on surface 2. Surface 2 versus surface 3 would result in less solar heat gain but has no effect to the U-factor. In your climate I think that blocking a bit more summer solar heat gain matters a little more than allowing more in winter since winter doesn't see much sun. Really more a personal observation than measured data, so ultimately your call. And visually you won't be able to tell the difference between clear glass and glass coated with 180. Who is the window company??
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    15 years ago

Marigene, that is one gorgeous looking Quiche. I've come back to look at your picture a few times since yesterday. I'm seriously craving quiche.

Sharon, yes that is the place. Halibut is around $15.99 to $17.00 a pound around here. But the place in Sidney was a little less. It was either $13.99 or $14.99 a pound.

I love all the different varieties of potatoes that are available to you.

Sharon, I've have a craving for Shepherds Pie now too.

Kathleen your dinners always look so good.

It was raining here yesterday so Sandra and I went into Victoria for the day. Weather cleared up there and it was a beautiful day with some sun. We visited with Matthew, had lunch at my favourite Mexican place, and wondered around Oak Bay for a bit.

Got home in time to get dinner in the oven. We had Osso Bucco, based on Lidia's Roasted Veal Shank recipe and I made a risotto to serve with it. My favourite reason to make osso bucco is so I can eat the marrow.

Breakfast yesterday was a Blackberry Scone Cake.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Ann, that blackberry scone looks decadent. Your friend is lucky to dine at your table!
    Chase, that looks delicious! I never think to make that..
    I had flat iton steak at a restaurant. It is slowly showing up here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak
    Give it a good name and you can charge more, LOL like the expensive restarants menu put every single thing they use to impress...and charge more!

Ginger, that sounds like a fun place. Cooked in diesel, LOL
    I am sure my gkids would love the ambience!

CB, I wondered about those wrinkled potatoes. Lately, the potatoes I have had do not have a good flavor, red or white. Maybe they are old at the store. It will be June till we get new local potatoes. I have taken to smelling them before I buy them. Some have a distict moldy smell, and you can taste it too..not good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flat iron steak

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Well as usual, this site is like scrolling through a gourmet food magazine, with all the esquisite photos and recipes.

Everyones photos are simply amazing. Once a thread has been started for awhile I usually scroll from the bottom of the page upwards. It's getting to be that I can tell who's posting by their photos, before even seeing their names,lol.

I have been cooking, just not taking pictures. Dinners have either been too rushed, too late or not very photogenic.

Meals around here have been, Bacon and tomato on toasted 5 min artisan rye/potato/onion bread with parsnip chips (loved the chips)! Next I made Molly Stevens "Nonna's Braciole" with spinach ricotta gnocchi and a green salad. The braciole was amazing,great flavour. Next I made Molly's "Neapolitan Beef Ragu", basically a pot roast which is braised,and the resulting sauce pureed over pasta served with chunks of the meat. Last night I Shredded the leftover meat, mixed it with the leftover pasta and sauce, put in a casserole topped with four cheese italian and smoked gouda. Served with some more homemade artisan bread and a salad. (I liked last nights better than the first).

I did make dessert and managed to get a picture. I made AnnT's Strawberry roll. Only subs I made were to add about 1/4 c ricotta, and 1/4 tsp almond extract to the filling mixture. As I didn't have cake flour I took out 1 1/2 tbsp flour from the measured 3/4 c and replaced it with 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch. Turned out heavenly!

{{gwi:1516364}}

{{gwi:1516365}}

{{gwi:1516366}}

Shelley

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Nancy, thank you for the recipe. Chicken is de-frosting for tomorrow!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Shelley, that strawberry roll looks very good! I love ricotta too!

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Shelley that strawberry roll does look good!

Sharon I haven't made shepherd's pie for ages but I bet yours was delicious.

Looks like a yummy osso bucco Ann. We do see them here sometimes in the supermarkets and I used to make them.
    I loved the taste of osso bucco when I visited Italy years ago.

I'm in a bit of a rush to get to Pilates so will continue with our lunch yesterday....I roasted some paprika/garlic potato wedges, steamed broccoli and carrot, made a small salad and sauteed almond crusted salmon in a non-stick pan.
    We sat outside again as the weather is balmy again. We have another wind from the east, bring hot Sahara winds and sand.
    I love the dry heat as it is so comfortable.

Our blackbirds are getting bolder as they now eat more dry catfood than the cats! One even walked inside the house yesterday looking for food. Hmmmmm. Our jade plant is in bloom in the garden. (Crassula Ovata.) It's grown into a very big plant, about 3 feet high and wide.

Happy Weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Oh Ann, you had me at the pie...that pie...mmmmmmmm. And I'm on my way for some of that scone cake. There must be some left?

Shelley, I have eyed that strawberry roll, too - yours looks wonderful.

Beautiful quiche, salmon and halibut - and Sharon - I was glad scott wasn't looking over my shoulder - he would be bugging me to make shepherd's pie. I can't remember if I ever have! And he loves it!

I will have to check out that thread.

kathleen, I love how you wing it. I haven't mastered that yet...:-)

Nothing much to add, I guess. scott is home now, so will probably actually cook a bit.

Stacy

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

Wow! Everything looks fantastic!

I finally remembered to take pics before digging in.

Last night was a tossed together Bacon, Onion, Asparagus Quiche

With a bug hunk of French Bread (thank you Ann T!).

The night before we had Blackberry Crisp (yeah, there's servings missing in the photo--LOL)

I don't always read WFD, but when I need inspiration....this is IT!!

Deanna

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Okay, so now I am craving quiche, rhubarb pie, halibut, blackberry crisp, steak and burgers!

It's been raining here for the last couple of days. I think today I'll make up some stuff for the freezer for days when I don't feel like cooking.

Last night I made Scallopine di Pollo, based on a recipe that supposedly is from Macaroni Grill restaurant. Even Tim loved it and it had artichokes in it! LOL

Yesterday I had a nice bowl of French Onion Soup. I made a batch on Sunday and froze most of it, but had a cup extra so it made a nice lunch!

Over the weekend I tried a new dessert recipe, Blackberry Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Blackberry Compote. My photo isn't all that great, but WOW, they were good! Definitely going to make them again!

Tonight we are going to a friend's for lasagne dinner. I am bringing Champagne Grapefruit Sorbet that I posted on Jessy's grapefruit thread. It's really good, and will make a nice, light dessert for a heavy meal.

Linda

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Last night we had chicken tacos - Costco rotisserie chix, lettuce, homemade pico de gallo (chopped tomato, onion, cilantro drizzled with lime juice and a little olive oil, S&P), green salsa, plain yogurt instead of sour cream. Black beans with melted cheese on the side.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Linda, please share the recipe for the Blackberry Panna Cotta.

Purty Please!

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Here you go Terri. Much easier than it looks, too. I didn't make the compote, I just melted some blackberry preserves in a small saucepan and added some fresh berries and a dash of lemon juice.

Blackberry Buttermilk Panna Cottas
    with Blackberry Compote

For panna cottas

3/4 lb blackberries (about 3 cups)
    1 1/4 cups well-shaken buttermilk
    2 3/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (from two 1/4-oz envelopes)
    1/4 cup water
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons blackberry syrup, store-bought or homemade (see cooks' note, below)

For compote

1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup crème de cassis
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/2 lb blackberries (about 2 cups)

Special equipment: 6 (6-oz) molds (preferably nonreactive)

Make panna cottas:

Purée blackberries with buttermilk in a blender until very smooth, then pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing on and then discarding solids.

Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl and let stand 1 minute to soften.

While gelatin softens, heat cream and sugar in a saucepan over moderate heat until hot, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved. Stir cream mixture and syrup into blackberry purée, then pour through cleaned sieve into a bowl. Pour mixture into molds and chill, covered, until firm, at least 8 hours.

Make compote while panna cottas finish chilling:

Boil water, crème de cassis, and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally, until syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, then pour syrup over blackberries and gently stir to combine.

To serve panna cottas, run a thin knife along edge of molds to loosen if necessary and dip molds in a small bowl of warm water 3 to 5 seconds, then invert panna cottas onto plates and gently lift off molds. Spoon berries and syrup over and around each panna cotta.

Cooks' notes:
    To make blackberry syrup, heat 1/4 cup blackberry jam with 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until jam is dissolved. Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl, pressing on and then discarding solids.
    Panna cottas can be chilled in molds up to 1 day.
    Compote can be made 2 hours ahead and kept at room temperature.

Linda

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Linda, that Panna Cotta looks wonderful!

And Deanna, the blueberry crisp too!

Sharon, what a healthy delicious looking dinner.

Blackbird in the house,,oh my. my superstitious nana would be upset about that! lol I would just freak out..

Stacy, you will be winging it soon. It becomes second nature, a little of this and that to your tastes!

Last night was blue night, so we had marinated London Broil, crispy onions and parmesan potato slices...and c##n, which was from Fla for 20 cents ea and much better than I thought it would be,,nice and sweet.

Tonight was pink night and we had chicken pot pie...

Tomorrow night will be no color night,lol, we are going to a family First Communion followed by a luncheon, so we will be on the road early and back late..

• san_
    15 years ago

kathleen--your table settings always look so wonderful to me! and this is a GREAT place for ideas on what to cook. right now the idea of sharon's entrecot steak with mushroom cream sauce and linda's Blackberry Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Blackberry Compote are leading the way on my wish list--i think the picture is just beautiful!

grocery prices are getting just plain gross but yesterday i was lucky enough to find dry sea scallops at just $10/lb so i bought 8 of them. i pan-fried them in a mix of oil and butter with nothing more than salt and pepper and a bit of lemon juice and wish i'd bought another 8 of them--they were wonderfully tender and sweet! we grilled some crusty bread and spooned on chopped cherry tomatoes, red onion, basil and black olives, that had been seasoned with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. doesn't get much simpler than that but it was really good! i haven't really got anything in mind for tonight yet but guess i need to get something together...

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

As usual wonderful looking meals and pictures. I love coming to WFD.

Worked early this morning and then came home, cleaned and then worked in the yard the rest of the day. Dog tired but put on a pot roast to cook along with potatoes and cabbage. Not my typical hot weather meal but doing some clean out of the freezer. It hit the spot once we were done in the yard.

I've attempted several times to post my picture but it will not let me. Hmmm...don't know what is happening.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

The manager of the local grocery has put out a pile of corned beef with a sell date a week from now at $.99 per pound, so I bought 5 or 6 to put in the freezer...and cooked one last night.

I've been baking corned beef lately, with various glazes, but this one I did in the crock pot, and when I came home I took out some juice in which to cook the carrots, celery, potatoes, turnips and cabbage.

Thinking that such a pedestrian (but tasty) dinner needed some dressing up, I decided on an eggplant salad to start. Grilled eggplant is marinated in my red wine vinegar, olive oil, cumin, coriander, s & p, then tossed with slices of tomato, cucumber and sweet onions, to serve on a bit of red leaf lettuce. I just remembered though, why the dressing seemed too strong...I was meant to put a dollop of yogurt on top just before serving and I forgot. It would have cut the dressing a bit.

Oh well, next time. :D

Dixiedog, I can't figure out how to post pics either. I have read the forum instructions, which are as clear as manual instructions usually are.

Anyone know how to post a pic from a computer file, and willing to explain it? Or do you have to post your pics on some web page and insert them from there?

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Rachelellen you must first upload your photos to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket, PictureTrail or one of the many others and then post here the link to your photo from that site. You can't load a photo directly from your computer to here as you can on some galleries. Once you've signed up to a photo hosting site and have uploaded your photos to that place, we can give you plenty of help and encouragement on how to get them from there onto a page here. Good Luck :-)

Oh how I love the look of anything with blackberries! One of my favourite fruits to be eaten from a bowl or baked into Linda's or Deannas's desserts. Are you getting the berries fresh from somewhere?

Kathleen your tables are always lovely. And so is your chicken pie!

It has been getting warmer and warmer here as we're under the influence of a Sahara wind from the east.
    This morning it reached 104 F in the shade....40 Centigrade! And the humidity is a dry 15% when it normally is 63% around our house.
    I've closed all the doors and windows to keep in the cool air yet my computer mouse is still grating across a layer of fine sand on my desk.
    Feels good though but we're drinking lots of water this morning.
    Suzie doesn't yet want to come in the house as she's found a cool corner on the tiles.

Yesterday I had a craving all morning for ravioli with Gorgonzola sauce, so after Pilates I walked (slowly) to the supermarket and bought fresh pasta, milk, cheese and salad ingredients. I made the sauce without cream, but rather used 2% milk and a little evaporated milk, butter, white wine and a whole 4 oz (100 grams) of gorgonzola. Oh it was so good....and as always with another salad. I altered the recipe on the link below to avoid the cream.

Happy Saturday everyone .....hope you have mild weather...not to hot...not to cold and definitely with no snow! :-D

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: Gorgonzola Sauce Recipe

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

OOPS..meant to write not TOO hot or TOO cold!
    (Wish we could correct typos!)

SharonCb

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Shelley, beautiful Strawberry Roll. What is nice about that cake is you can get creative with the filling. In the past I've used mascarpone cheese instead of regular cream cheese.

Deanna, I really need to make a quiche. Between your beauty and Marigene's I am seriously craving Quiche.

Kathleen, I'd love a serving of your Chicken Pot Pie. Looks delicious.

Sharon, great looking pasta.

Dinner Thursday night was Prime Rib. This beef was soooo good. It was from the local farm/butcher.

Friday night's dinner was simple. Grilled boneless chicken breasts with a side of Pasta Aglio E Olio. Didn't take a picture.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Wow, great looking photos since last night.

I am on Photobucket but it is not letting me post pictures. I have posted in the past. Also each time I come back here now I have to log back in when I didn't have to do that before.

Tonight we had hamburgers on the grill along with roasted potato wedges and salad. We got the burgers off the grill just in time as a huge thunderstorm came through.

Berries with cream for dessert.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Oh my, where to start? Everything looks so good.

First I want Ann T's halibut and some of that rhubarb pie. Mine isn't quite ready yet, LOL, it's about an inch tall.

SharonCB, I'm so happy to see Suzie's weather report and Tigger and his "friend". I missed the kitties.

Kathleen, I love that blue and yellow table.

San, I'm always happy to see you here, I'm glad you got rid of that dial up. I just did that myself, it's amazing how much faster things go!

It's cold here, just below 40 and windy. It was just 70 last week but that's April in Michigan, LOL. I've been "under the weather" pretty significantly and haven't been cooking to speak of, but today is Saturday and I managed to pull myself together enough to make a pot of bean soup and some corn muffins. I chopped up some bacon for the muffins, Ashley made it a couple of days ago and there were still slices in the refrigerator. If you can imagine, leftover bacon, it's never happened before here! Oh, and Elery grew the beans, they're some kind of pinto I think.

{{gwi:1516383}}

{{gwi:1516384}}

{{gwi:1516385}}

OK, I'm off to make some donuts!

Annie

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Can I sneak in here with a Plain ole Down Home Roast Chicken with Stuffing and Gravy.

Of course there was Cranberry Sauce, a Salad and Cheesecake w Coffee.

Yes Kathleen, I like your table settings. Big Showoff !!!
    LOU

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

SharonCb, thank you for responding off topic. I really did try to figure it out from the "help" section. Now I have a web gallery, and still can't figure out what to do with it to insert a photo in a post.

I'm sorry to interrupt a thread...I'm sure there must have been others who couldn't figure this out without someone holding their hand...tried a search but didn't find a thread on the subject. HELP! :(

By the way, y'all are making me hungry!

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Lou, Can I come to your house for dinner? That looks sooo good!

Annie, your soup and corn muffins with bacon looks so good. I hope your feeling better soon!

Ann, your prime rib looks divine! I am suprised your friend is only staying a week with the meals you cook her. If it was me, you would never get rid of me,lol.

Sharon, both your salad and your pasta has me drooling!

Linda, thanks for the panna cotta recipe..omg does that ever look good. Your chicken and soup look wonderful too. I have never been to Macaroni grill, but have always wanted to go.

Marigene, Ann's right, your quiche looks mouthwatering. Really loving your food photos lately!

Keep up the great cooking everyone!

Shelley

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Lou .....what a great chicken dinner! Love the colour of the bird and I bet the dressing was wonderful.

Annie I hope you are feeling better today. You sure have been cooking up a storm again!

Love the look of that mashed potato, gravy and Yorkshire pud on Ann's plate.

Rachelellen ...here is a thread that may help you post pictures. If not, just speak up and I'll send you a pm or another link. At present most uploaded photos are more than 60 Kb but it helps keep the thread running smoothly if open pics are under 150 Kb.

It's so bloomin' hot here that most people on the islands are staying indoors it seems, according to a local Tenerife chat forum. The air is laden with dust and many folks with breathing disorders can't go outside. Added to that we now have forest fires here and on the next island of La Gomera. We're lucky that our house stays quite cool, especially in our bedroom, but I did change the winter sheets for some nice crispy summer ones.

Yesterday we stayed home for lunch. I used up the rest of my salad ingredients and added diced, cooked potato, chopped green onion, hard boiled eggs, and some of that lovely white bonito tuna from the Bay of Biscaya, Northern Spain.
    Accompanied by a cold white wine...my favourite Viña Sol and a crunchy rye baguette..

This morning at 8:30 am it was over 100 deg F in the shade (38.3 C)! Not complaining though.
    Our heavy flannelette sheets dried outside in the sun in less than an hour.

SharonCb

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Wonderful looking salad Sharon. I love cold potatoes in salads. Wow..100 deg at 8:30 in the morning. That's a little warm alright. How hot does it get by mid day early afternoon? With those temps you won't be needing flannelette sheets.

Dinner friday night was shrimp curry and garam masala green beans with almonds. The beans were a lovely side with the curry.

{{gwi:1516387}}

Last night we had chicken pot pie topped with herbed feta biscuits.

{{gwi:1516388}}

Shelley

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Oh Shelley, your chicken pot pie has my mouth watering. And herbed feta biscuits. Wow. That would put it over the top.

Sharon, another one of your salads that Moe would just love.

Lou, your roast chicken looks perfect. I had the same idea last night. Roast chicken is probably both Moe and my favourite dinner. I got home from work last night at 6:45 and dinner was on the table by 7:00. I roasted two small chickens so I could take a chicken sandwich to work today. Standards sides, homemade dressing cooked separately, rutabaga, mashed potatoes and fresh asparagus.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Thanks SharonCb! I'm all set now...except I have to start remembering to take pics!

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Thank you Linda!

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    15 years ago

End of vacation, back to work tomorrow, so we had a nice family dinner. We all got to sit down together! Made a recipe from Ann's Appetizer cookbook. Artichoke bottoms and Lemon-Crisp Crumbs. I cheated and used canned Artichoke bottoms. It was very good! A keeper! and the kid's requested Woodie's Chicken Piccata!

{{gwi:1516390}}

{{gwi:1516391}}

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Lou, your chicken looks perfect! And that is why I set the table, Lou, just for you!

Carol, the chicken looks good! Did you get your 4 , 50 lb bag limit at Costco?? I think we may use 10 lbs a year!!

Ann, delicious looking chicken, and the beef looks perfect.

Annie, I'd love a muffin, and the soup must have been delicious if E. grew the beans. I dont know what we would be eating if I had to depend on dh's veggie growing! ;)

Shelley the biscuit topped pie sounds very good! Do you have a recipe for the biscuits you would share?

Sharon, wow, that is HOT! Hace muy calor...

Tonight we had salad with feta, and a stuffed pork , with apple brandy compote and sweet potato..

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Sharon, your salads always make me drool! They always look so fresh and flavorful!

Ann, you're kidding me, right? How can you make an entire chicken dinner in 15 minutes?????

Annie, I hope you're feeling better. If that soup don't make you well, nothing will! MMMMM

Lou, that chicken looks mighty tasty! And it's been since Thanksgiving since I had stuffing!

All the talk and pics of quiche lately gave me a craving. So tonight was a rendition of Sue's hash brown quiche. I added some sauteed mushrooms & spinach as well as some leftover steamed asparagus. Made it with swiss and fontina rather than swiss and jack. It was delish, that and a big green salad and I called it dinner! Makes a big pan, too so I froze half for another day.

I made 5 mini meatloaves yesterday for the freezer, too. So I have Navy Bean soup, French Onion Soup, Meat Loaf and Quiche all frozen for nights when I don't feel like cooking!

Time to take a break from the weekend and relax with a scoop of the Champagne Grapefruit Sorbet. It turned out wonderfully!

Linda

• anotherlinda
    15 years ago

Everything looks so delicious, my tummy is growling. Calm down, there :) grrrrrllll

Ann T - I'm almost certain that your rhubarb pie (4/21) is the same recipe we have enjoyed for years. I adore that pie! Always make a couple when hot house rhubarb is available.

Linda

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Lou your chicken did look great! I also am wanting to know how Ann made a chicken in 15 minutes. Did hubby have it in the oven while you were still at work?

I have a whole chicken defrosting in the frig. for tomorrow night and I want to know both of y'alls secrets. I actually was planning on doing it on the grill but tomorrow is calling for rain all day plus I have to work and take my car to get my windshield replaced - grrr...dump truck in front of me and threw a rock.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Dixie, that would be a good feat wouldn't it? That should have read I got home at 5:45 and dinner was on the table by 7:00 PM. I always roast chickens at 500°F. Moe had the oven turned on when I got home so I just had to put the chicken in the oven. It came out after about 45 - 50 minutes and rested while the veggies cooked.

Linda, that Rhubarb Pie recipe is one of Madame Benoit's recipes. Madame Benoit was Canada's answer to Julie Child.

Ann

• anotherlinda
    15 years ago

Hello Ann,

My recipe came from my mother's 1950 "Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook". Here's the directions:

Beat slightly 3 eggs. Add 2 2/3 tbsp milk. Mix together and stir in 2 cups sugar, 4 tbsp flour, 3/4 tsp nutmeg. Mix in 4 cups cut-up pink rhubarb. Pour in pastry-lined pie pan, dot with 1 tbsp butter. Cover with lattice pie crust. Bake until nicely browned. 400 degrees 50 to 60 minutes. Serve slightly warm.

I'm curious if Madame Benoit's recipe is similar?

:) Linda

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Linda, Very similar.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Rhubarb Pie
    ===========
    Source: Madame Benoit

4 cups rhubarb, cut in to 1/2 inch pieces
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    3 tablespoons flour
    pinch of salt
    juice of 1/2 small lemon
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    pastry for two crusts
    1 tablespoon sugar

roll out dough for bottom crust and line pie plate with pastry.

Beat eggs lightly, and then stir in brown and white sugars, flour,
    lemon juice, salt and extract. Mix in rhubarb.

Pour into pour in to pie shell.

Roll out remaining pastry and cut into strips. Weave pastry strips
    over top and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar.

Bake in a 450°F oven on bottom shelf for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to
    350° and move pie to middle of the oven. Continue baking for 25 to 35
    minutes.

• anotherlinda
    15 years ago

I want to try your recipe next time. The two recipes are similar in that they both have a custard filling which combines so nicely with tart rhubarb, but instead of nutmeg as a seasoning, Madame Benoit uses lemon, vanilla and brown sugar. It sounds SO delicious...saw some nice pink rhubarb at the market yesterday, think I'll pick some up tomorrow and give it a try.

Thank you, Ann!

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

Not surprisingly, everything looks good.
    I haven't had time to contribute lately, but I will, hopefully in the next dinner thread.

Sol

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Thank you Steel Magnolia! I made the Italian dressing that you posted and it is a hit here. I used half Champagne vinegar and half white balsamic and was very happy with that combination. Max and I had it on a simple side salad on Saturday along with grilled lamb chops and asparagus. But the real indication of success was at dinner last night when DMIL, who generally eats only three or four bites of salad, no matter what the dressing is, finished her plate! I too, like the little bit of thickening that the mayo adds, without making it really a "cream" dressing. Next time I'll double the recipe. It's a keeper!

I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been reading late at night. I wish we could buy halibut as wonderful as Ann's, and that I could make a strawberry roll as perfect as Shelley's, and that I had Annie's bean soup and bacon corn muffins, and SharonCB's fruit plate with honeydew, and Linda's blackberry panna cotta, and Lou's roast chicken, and...

Instead we started out yesterday with scrambled eggs and popovers. I considered these moderately successful.

It's the first time in years that I have tried to make popovers here. They were always a success when we lived in Illinois. At this elevation they have always looked like hockey pucks. After researching popovers at high altitude, I decided to try one recipe posted for altitudes a little lower than mine and keep a log and work my way through variations in technique that I found on the web. The variations in "best" that I found on the web were convection vs conventional oven, cold start vs preheated, and bread flour vs AP. This version included, preheated convection oven and bread flour. I wrote it down. Anyone out there in CF land living above 5000' have a success recipe to share?

We invited DMIL for dinner to quietly observe Orthodox Easter with her so she would not be alone remembering traditions shared with her family. We had a CD playing of the Russian Easter Liturgy, which I remember hearing so much at home growing up, although my mother had become Roman Catholic as a young adult. It's really hauntingly beautiful.

Back to dinne; we had roast boneless pork loin, apple slices cooked with a few dried cranberries and cinnamon, green beans with a little tomato bruschetta mixed in, scalloped potatoes, and tossed salad with SM's Italian dressing.

We finished with decaf cappuccino and Pecan Pie Cupcakes - not really cakelike, more like dessert bars baked in muffin tins. But with only five ingredients, six if you count the vanilla I added, they were quick, chewy and good.

Lee

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Yum, Lee, could you post the recipe for those pecan pie cupcakes?

Annie

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Yes please Lee, those look wonderful!

Kathleen, your table looks beautiful,as does your dinner.
    The biscuit recipe was from another blog site, which I think I posted on another WFD thread. Here's the recipe for the biscuit crust, if you want the recipe for the pie part let me know.

Feta herb biscuit crust for chicken pot pie,

2 cups all purpose flour
    2 tbsp baking powder
    1 tbsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tbsp black pepper
    1/2 c feta cheese crumbles
    1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
    6 tbsp cold unsalted butter cut in 1/2 inch pieces
    1 1/4 c well shaken buttermilk
    1/4 c mixed chopped herbs (chives,rosemary,thyme and sage)
    2 green onions

Oven 400F

Sift together flour, baking powder,b.soda,salt and pepper in a med. bowl. Add cheeses and herbs and toss to coat. Blend in butter in a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir just until a dough forms. Drop biscuit dough onto chicken pie filling in 8 large mounds, leaving spaces between biscuits. Bake until biscuits are puffed and golden brown and filling is bubbling, 35-40 min. Let stand ten minutes before serving.

Dishesdone, sorry your holiday is over, but your meal looks great!

Ann, as usual your meal looks fabulous. Btw, don't know if you saw the other thread regarding the deli you told me about (I know you have been busy with company). Just wanted to let you know I loved it and had a great time shopping there, and will definately go back. Thanks again!

Dinner last night was Vermont cheddar five minute artisan bread (cheddar wasn't really from vermont, I used an aged white,lol)

{{gwi:1516395}}

Served it with Pasta e Fagioli, which was simmered with smoked porkchops, and parmesan rind, to which was added miniautre cheese ravioli.

{{gwi:1516396}}

Dessert was a double chocolate cupcake filled with nutella, topped with choclate ganache, and belgium chocoate flakes.

{{gwi:1516397}}

I have been trying to work on getting better food photos. Read not to use a flash and that has been helping. If anybody has some good tips I sure would love to hear them.

Thanks!

Shelley

• disneyginger
    15 years ago

Annie, I hope you're feeling better, that bean soup looks so good that I almost could smell-a-monitor it!

Kathleen, your tablescapes always are so beautiful, and that salad had me wanting to have it right now!

Dishes, the artichoke bottoms looked so good! I have never seen a recipe where artichokes were done that way. I read recently that artichokes are a "super" food for nutrition, so would you mind sharing your recipe?

Lou, your chicken looked so good! I haven't made a whole chicken dinner in a long time. I think it's time to pick a few chickens up at Costco!

Ann, I am not one for prime rib, but that meat looked like the word "succulent" was created just to describe it!

lsr, I would love the recipe for the pecan pie cupcakes too and will be looking to see it posted.

This thread has gotten to me. This week, I am using up all my "gotta go" potatoes and making a shepherd's pie. I haven't done one in about two years.

And, I am channeling into the quiche spirits I think, because tonight I am making a quiche lorraine. The best and simple recipe I found was in my 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook. I will try to remember to take a picture before we eat it up.

Last night ended up being a "grab a leftover of your choice". Our granddaughter had some spaghetti and meatballs, my husband ate a couple of hot dogs and finished off the carrot salad, and I had leftover halibut (I tried to make it like Ann's, but apparently, my little frozen pieces just aren't up to the quality of ann's fresh buy it off the dock!). And, we all had seedless watermelon that was very good!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Thank you, Shelley! Your pics look good, and it is all about the light, as I have learned and I am still trying to improve. Many use a tripod too, and Stacy recs the grow light, LOL!
    The bread and the cupcake look so good! I just made a triple recipe of banana choc chip, loaf, cake and cupcakes. Any time the neighbors have brown bananas they arrive at my door...and then they get back a baked good! I don't know if this is a good thing!! lol
    I would like to try the cheddar bread you made..
    Thanks, Ginger. Love those grab it dinners, cleans out the frig!
    Hi Sol, good to see you here!

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Shelley, your Cheddar cheese loaf looks outstanding. I need to mix up some more Art. in 5 dough.

Here is the recipe for the Pecan Pie Cupcakes, from Recipezaar, and a link to the blog where there are several photos. I think the blogger used light brown sugar and I used dark brown.

I read through a lot of comments about this recipe and one very important tip is to remove the cakes from the pan almost immediately after they come out from the oven, or they will stick, stick, stick. I used foil baking cups and thought they would come out easily after about 5 minutes of cooling time. After all, there is a TON of butter in these. They stuck. I put them back in the oven, which was turned off but still hot, for five minutes and then immediately and carefully took them out of the pan one at a time and peeled the sides of the foil down. When all had their sides peeled and flattened out I freed up the bottoms and let them finish cooling on the foil pieces. The outsides are crisp/crunchy all over and the insides soft. Not really a cake texture but easy and good. I liked them even better the second day (made these Saturday night for Sunday's dinner but Max and I each tested one on Saturday). I made 12 in a regular size muffin pan since I don't have a mini pan and baked them for 30 minutes, but remember everything takes a little more time here.

Lee

Pecan Pie Cupcakes Recipe #61081

My aunt gave this recipe to me. These are wonderful little snacks!

by Dreamgoddess

33 min : 15 min prep : 24 miniature cupcakes

1 cup chopped pecans
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2/3 cup butter, melted
    2 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
    3. Spray a miniature muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
    4. Fill each 3/4 full.
    5. Bake in preheated oven for approx.
    6. 18 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pecan Pie Cup Cakes

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    15 years ago

Disneyginger, the recipe is from Ann's cookbook! I used canned artichoke bottoms and Sauvignon Blanc was all I had in the house.

Artichoke Bottoms with Lemon-Crisp Crumbs
    Sanford Winery
    * 2 prepared artichoke bottoms (recipe below)
    * Olive oil, divided
    * 1 teaspoon Vin Gris
    * 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    * Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    * Lemon-crumb stuffing (below)
    * 4 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
    * 4 slender lemon wedges

1. Brush bottoms with olive oil to cloak. Sprinkle with Vin Gris and lemon juice.
    Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

2. Spoon half of the stuffing into center of each bottom; gently press to held in place.

3. Arrange bottoms in a shallow baking pan.

4. Bake in a 375°F oven until heated through and crumbs are rich golden, about 10
    minutes.

5. Remove to serving plates. Sprinkle with parsley. Garnish with lemon wedges to add
    drops of juice to taste.
    Makes 2 servings.

Prepare artichoke bottoms:
    * Remove leaves, fuzzy choke, stem and tough dark green part of bottom from 2 very
    large artichokes; trim bottoms smoothly.
    * Cook bottoms, covered, in boiling slated acidulated water (juice from a slender
    wedge of lemon squeezed into water and remaining part of wedge dropped in) just to
    cover with a split clove of garlic and about a teaspoon of olive oil until tender.

* Drain, plunge into ice water for a few moments to stop cooking; drain well and dry.

Crisp lemon - crumb stuffing:
    * In a small heavy frying pan over medium heat, cook and turn 1/2 cup fine soft fresh crumbs of French- or Italian-style white bread in a generous 1 Tablespoon olive oil until crisp and golden.
    * Remove from heat, add 1/4 teaspoon mashed anchovies (drained filets packed in oil), 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel, a generous 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves, about 1/8 teaspoon salt, a generous grinding of black pepper and 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley. Mix well.
    from Thibeault's Table - Appetizers

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Thanks Lee for the recipe!

Thanks Kathleen for the photo tips. I have a tripod, I guess I need to start using it. Thought of a grow light or flashlight. Need something as night time is so dark here. The bread and cupcakes were very good, thanks. Lucky neighbours you have..I think they have the better deal though,lol.

Shelley

• mashymoo
    15 years ago

WOW! Im a new member and already I have seen so many recipies that I can't wait to try out on my unsuspecting family!!!
    Thank you so much!