Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breville Pie Maker?

Posted by Bumblebeez (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 18:09

Do you have one? Like it?
Williams Sonoma carries it and it was prominently featured in the recent catalog.
I am Very intrigued with this but am still on the fence.
I do wonder how good the crust turns out.
I think it's about $80 right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breville Pie Maker?

Bumblebeez,
A friend, and a cook that I really respect posted recently about the Breville Pie Maker. Monique, posted on her blog - La Table De Nana.

At that price I would definitely go for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: La Table De Nana - Petites Pies

o

Thanks, Ann, that was helpful. I'll get it.

o

It looks interesting. I have 8 small individual pie tins that I use when I want to make a variety of pies. I saw the Breville Pie Make on ebay for $49.95. Don't know if that is the model you are looking for or not.
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: BREVILLE BPI640XL PERSONAL PIE MAKER W/ FOUR 4

o

The only negative I've heard is that you have to use cooked ingredients (ie. chicken or apples, for instance). It doesn't cook the apples thoroughly if you are planning on using raw apples as you would when you make a regular sized apple pie. If you plan on making a from-scratch apple pie you will either have to make your own apple pie filling beforehand or use store bought. Other than that I've heard good reviews about it.

o

Similar unit and less expensive (looks the same to me) made by Nostalgia Electrics for $25-$30 available from Sears, Home Depot, and also Bella Cucina for $30 at JC Penney.

I bake for farmers market so this would make my Fridays so much simpler. Everyone loves little pies and I have been making empanada style hand pies (circle folded over and baked) that takes tons of time to crimp those dang edges. Having a big pan of cooked filling would be so much easier, I imagine, than hoping each pie's filling was baked through.

Nancy

o

We used to have something similar about 20 years ago ~ and we loved it! My young son at the time, became the expert pie maker ~ we had some very interesting fillings (sardines anyone? :~).
As to the quality of Breville, I own 2 of their appliances-The Smart Oven and an electric Wok. Both appliances are well made and are used often.
I would not hesitate to buy an appliance made by Breville.

o

It was just on sale at Williams Sonoma for $50. If you wait, it may be on sale again. I read the reviews. Some said that the edge of the crust burns.

o

Thanks for all the ideas! I am going to wait and see if it goes on sale again. I haven't had the best of luck with refurbished items lately so if I can get it new from WS for fifty, I will.

o

bbz, sign up for W-S email notifications. That is how I heard that it was $50.

o

If you have a local Walmart you might want to look at the Nostalgia Electrics 4-Pie Countertop Bakery for $24. I don't know if the quality is as good as a Breville or if the pie size is the same. Just FYI.
Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Nostalgia Electrics 4-Pie Countertop Bakery, PIE-400

o

Interesting conversation I just had with a customer rep at Williams Sonoma. I called to ask about the email offering of the Breville at $50. The customer rep didn't know anything about it but put me on hold to speak to his supervisor. His supervisor told him that the e-mail sent out was a "random e-mail", sent to a certain selection of people who are on their e-mail list (hello...I'm one of them and have been for quite a while). The e-mail selection was randomly done and had a reference number attached, so if you were one of the lucky ones who happened to be interested in purchasing the Breville it was your lucky day (and for the rest of us, I guess it wasn't our lucky day).

I've been a customer of Williams Sonoma for many years so to hear this was not especially comforting. I was on my lunch hour and didn't have time to go into a discourse with the supervisor, but you can bet that when I get out of work today I'll be making a phone call to WS and asking for the reduced price. $50 for a Breville kitchen electric is well worth it, especially since we love pies.

o

I bought one of these (sale price had jumped to $79.95 in their catalog) and thought I would give a report. As I'm not fond of making pastry I used a good brand of butter pastry from a local specialty market.

Made a thick bechamel and added (medium) diced chicken breast, diced baby carrots, and sauteed onions/garlic. The bechamel was seasoned with McCormick lemon pepper, hot pepper sauce, and 1/4 tsp Herb de Provence spice blend. I added 1/2 cup grated Parmesan and a good handful of chopped flatleaf parsley as well.

Tips:
- the Breville suggestion of 1/2 cup filling is accurate. Keep the diced food size small to medium, no larger. These pies are mostly crust, not much filling.

- Cut the pastry circles out as the unit is preheating and have all of them ready, laid out on flour-sprinkled cookie sheets if you're doing more than one batch (which makes 4 pies). These really do cook fast, so you need everything "mis en place" - ready to assemble. Keep the remaining dough circles in the frig so the dough doesn't get oversoft, especially when it's a butter pastry.

- Williams-Sonoma's proprietary tool for lifting the pies out honestly does work like a charm and is probably well worth the $12.95 it costs.

- The Breville crimps edges like a champ. But the moment you put the pastry in, it's starting to cook. You don't have time to fuss over the edges, especially if the bottom pastry circle shifts around and leaves an open side. I stopped using the press-in tool, and found putting the filling in was enough to push the bottom pastry into place.

- It seems to cook the tops faster than the bottoms. On the second batch (I was making 8 chicken pot pies), I lifted the lid and let the pies cook on the bottom for 1 minute longer before taking them out.

- Since the filling has to be pre-cooked, I don't really see how this saves a whole lot of time for anyone. The one thing it does to save time is that closing the top crimps those edges into a nice decorative pattern that really seals tight. Despite a creamy filling, there was no leakage on any of the pies, even the one where I barely had enough pastry left so it has no outer rim at all.

Summary:
Overall, it's a sturdy, well-made small appliance. Roughly about the size of a small waffle iron. No on-off switch; plug it in and it's on.

Whether it's worth the price or not will depend on how often you use it. There's still some countertop mess with the pastry circles, and of course anyone needing more than 4 pies has to factor in the double or triple cooking time - using custard cups, one could bake 18 of these sized pies all at the same time using an oven.

I think I'd like this more if I could bake one large 8" pie rather than 4 small ones. We're not big carb-loaders so it's a lot of crust in proportion to the filling amount. OTOH, I'm making something with no preservatives or filler, with a minimum of fuss - not such a bad deal.

Still, the speed is pretty impressive if the small quantity works for your household. I have a fairly large gas oven but no air conditioning, so it's a minimum 15 min. to evenly heat up the oven...to make 4 or 6 pies would hardly be worth the tremendous heat the oven would add during one of our heat spells, before/during/after the baking.

The Breville heats up in 5 minutes and the pies were done in 8 min. exactly. Cooldown was about 15-20 min. but the overall heat amount was relatively small; my exhaust fan handled it just fine.

We'll see how much I end up using this. But my DH, who adores pot pies, was very happy with his dinner tonight!

Photobucket

o

It's now $49.95 at Williams Sonoma through Monday, September 3.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here