Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which lemon curd recipe?

Posted by dedtired (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 18:03

I baked a white cake and I want to make lemon curd to put between the layers. I'll frost it with whipped cream and sprinkle coconut on it.

Which recipe for lemon curd would you use? The one that calls for a cup of lemon juice sounds like it might make your toes curl, but I don't know.

#1 Yield Makes 1 1/2 cups

3 large egg yolks, strained
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup lemon juice
6 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces

or

For lemon curd

2 1/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup fresh lemon juice
4 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Do you have a better recipe? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which lemon curd recipe?

A friend gave me this recipe. It includes her adjustments for Meyer lemons. I've only had the Meyer lemon version and it's delicious.

Lemon Curd:

Grated rind of 2 medium lemons*
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 cups sugar**
1 cup butter
4 eggs, well beaten
Combine lemon rind, lemon juice and sugar in top of double boiler. Add butter. Heat over boiling water, stirring, until butter is melted. Stir in eggs and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to pile slightly, about 15 minutes. Cool thoroughly.

*Meyer lemons are larger than other lemons, so use your judgment.

**Since Meyer lemons are sweeter than others I reduce the sugar to 1-3/4 cups of sugar. I have also reduced the butter to 3/4 cup and added 1/4 tsp salt. So, again, use your judgment.

YIELD: Sufficient to fill 15 regular tart shells or 4 dozen miniature tart shells.

o

I have this one from colleenoz, it's delicious and fast and easy. The notes are Colleen's.

Lemon Butter  (Colleen’s)

4oz butter (NOT margarine)  
3/4 cup lemon juice  (about 3 lemons' worth)  
all the rind from the lemons, grated  
1 cup sugar (I use superfine)  
4-5 eggs, thoroughly beaten  

Put butter, sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind into a micro-safe bowl.  Cook on high about 3 minutes, stirring halfway through.  Butter should be melted and sugar dissolved.  Beat in eggs and microwave in 30-second bursts until it thickens, about 2 minutes.  Whisk after each burst.  Cool and pour into sterilised jars.  Cover immediately.  Store in refrigerator. 
Sneaky notes:  
If you are making a _lot_ of this, for gifts, etc, I peel the rind off with a peeler and drop it into the blender.  Then cut off the white pith with a paring knife.  Making sure there are no seeds, drop lemon flesh into blender.  Whizz it up until the rind is pulverised.  You should end up with about 1 cup of juice/rind mix per batch, to account for the rind and aeration.  You can double or triple the recipe, just use a bigger bowl and adjust the times.  
I also use the blender to whizz the eggs.  If they are not totally beaten, you can get little white strings from the egg white which don't look great.  
If you overcook it and it separates, beat up an extra egg.  Gradually mix separated (sounds much better than curdled, doesn't it?  ) mixture into egg.  Repeat if necessary.  

Annie

o

Here's the one I use....but keep in mind how much of the stuff do you want?
Keep in mind that the one with 4 eggs and 4 yolks will make a LOT of lemon curd....but then what;s wrong with that?
This recipe has stood me in good stead for many years!

Lemon curd

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 stick cut into bits

Preparation
Whisk together juice, zest, sugar, and eggs in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Stir in butter and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until curd is thick enough to hold marks of whisk and first bubble appears on surface, about 6 minutes.
Transfer lemon curd to a bowl and chill, its surface covered with plastic wrap, until cold, at least 1 hour.

o

if you go to Allrecipes.com you can pull up a good lemon curd recipe and the beauty or simplicity of it is that is made in the microwave. It's quick, good and dependable.

o

Thanks, everybody. Yes, I have a feeling that the recipe with one cup of juice will be way more than I need.

I will save all these ideas. Tonight I will go with an easy one! Figure it's one thing I can make in advance, but it's already nearly 9 pm. I guess I have the energy for this. I still have some cleaning as well as the cooking tomorrow.

You guys are the greatest. Thanks again.

o

I'm a bit late to comment for this time, but the recipe with 1 cup of lemon juice is more likely to make your teeth hurt (too sweet) than make your toes curl. Compared to the first recipe, the amount of egg is scaled up about in proportion to the lemon juice (1 egg plus 1 yolk per 1/4 cup of lemon juice vs. 3 yolks in the first recipe) and the butter is scaled up a little less (3 tbsp per 1/4 cup of juice instead of 4 tbsp). It's lower fat with a whole egg instead of two of the yolks and less butter so it may feel less rich.

There is a lot higher ratio of sugar than I've ever used in lemon curd and no zest so the sweetness may be overwhelming and the lemon flavor less deep. By volume, the ratio of sugar to lemon juice is 2.3 to 1. In the first recipe, it's 1.5 to 1. That's also about the ratio in a recipe I've used from Sol. In lindac's recipe it's 1:1 which is still probably not too tart.

Lemon Curd from Sol's Meringue Daisy's recipe:

Lemon Curd

4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
3 fluid ounces lemon juice
4tbsp (2 oz) unsalted butter, softened
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

In a heavy non-corrodible saucepan, beat the yolks and sugar until blended. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, but still liquid enough to pour. Don't allow the mixture to boil or it will curdle. When the curd has thickened, pour through a strainer. Cool, and store in airtight container in the fridge. The curd will continue to thicken in the refrigerator

o

You are all so smart. I'll be making lemon something-or-other again soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here