SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chase_gw

Hot Cross Bun Question

chase_gw
11 years ago

I know many of you regularly let dough do a slow rise or even freeze dough but I've only ever made breads in one step...ie the same day.

I want to make Hot Cross Buns for Easter morning but my day Saturday is way crazy with a large Easter meal.

I need to make the dough Friday but not bake until Sunday morning. Could I make the dough Friday and place in the fridge after the first rise but before shaping, or should I shape and refrigerator?

I don't want to bake and then freeze. I really want them fresh from the oven and the house smelling great Easter morning.

This is the recipe I use.

Hot Cross Buns

4 1/2-5 cups all-purpose flour, divided

2/3 Cup sugar

1 (1/4-oz.) envelope rapid-rise yeast

1 Tsp salt

3/4 Tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon

1 Cup milk

1/4 Cup water

1/3 Cup unsalted butter, cut up

2 large eggs

Vegetable cooking spray

2/3 Cup currants and mixed dried fruits

1/3 Cup golden raisins

1 Tbl all-purpose flour

1 egg white, lightly beaten

1. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, and next 4 ingredients in mixing bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, stirring well. Set aside.

2. Combine milk, 1/4 cup water, and butter pieces in a saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until butter melts. Cool 5 minutes (to 130').

3. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture, and beat at low speed with dough hook attachment 2 minutes or until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition. Beat 3 more minutes. Reduce speed to low, and gradually beat in enough remaining flour (up to 2 1/2 cups) to make a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Beat at medium speed with dough hook attachment 5 minutes.

4. Scrape dough into a large bowl coated with cooking spray, and lightly spray the top of the dough.

5. Cover and let rise in a warm place , free from drafts, 1 hour. (dough will almost double in bulk.)

6. Punch dough down, and turn out onto a floured surface. Combine 2/3 cup currants, 1/3 cup raisins, and 1 Tbsp. flour, stirring to coat. Knead about one-fourth of fruit mixture at a time into dough until all fruit mixture is evenly dispersed.

7. Divide dough into 20 equal portions; shape each portion into a 2-inch ball. Evenly space dough balls on a parchment paper-lined 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; cover and let rise in a warm place (85'), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Gently brush tops with beaten egg white.

8. Bake at 375' for 15 minutes or until buns are a deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Cool buns 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack.

9. Spoon icing into a zip-top plastic freezer bag; snip a 1/4-inch piece from 1 corner of bag, and pipe an "X" on top of warm buns, forming a cross. Serve remaining icing with buns, if desired.

Makes 20 buns.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry