Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Community Growing its Own Food

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 17:31

I thought this was really fascinating. Imagine an America where individual towns and villages grew their own food for local self-sufficiency. Click around the website to see what all they're doing...it's wonderful. I'm more than a bit envious of their initiative. I stumbled across their website through checking if an etsy order I placed a couple days ago had shipped. Speaking of etsy...I've supported individual artisans from America, Canada, Hong Kong, Bulgaria, and Uruguay instead of big corporations. Fun.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Local - Todmorden, England

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Community Growing its Own Food

Thank you so much, tricia for sharing that site! It is fascinating, and a great example of where we could grow in this country.
Mabel

o

Makes me want to get out in my own village and start organizing something similar!

/tricia

o

Sounds like a plot to me! (Yuk yuk) In 2010 I weighed everything my garden produced, and calculated its value at the closest comparable rate I could find -- usually my local Farmer's Market. It was over $2,000. Imagine if more families tried gardening. Even if they had small gardens for mostly fresh eating it could be a big savings.

I'm going to be tracking my garden again this year, and working on a journal article with my Master Gardening Instructor -- maybe it will convince more people to try home grown food.

o

People in England are really into gardening. Someone I work with is in our London branch. She just has a tiny apartment, Two of the windows have flower boxes in which she grows radishes and lettuce. At one time she and some friends had a little plot outside the city. She just marvels at pictures of my yard and how many vegetables and berries I grow. And it's only 1/4 acre!

This past Saturday one of the local shows featured a local guy and his book that came out recently. It's called Straw Bale Gardening and the author is Joel Karsten. People from Alaska, Dubai, Saudi Arabia - everywhere have shown interest in it. It lengthens the growing season and is perfect for places like Dubai that don't have good soil. Joel grew up on a farm and moved to the cities and bought a house with really bad soil. That is what led him to come up with this idea. That and sometimes the growing season in Minnesota can be considerably shorter than others.

Basically you treat a bale of straw with nitrogen for two weeks to condition it. Then you dig holes in the top and side and put in plants. The bale starts to decompose feeding the plants. In addition the bale is 35 degrees warmer than the temp outside because of the composting affect. You can start your plants earlier and tent on chilly nights. I ordered the book. I might try 1 or 2 bales this year seeing as our season is late getting started. I think I will plant tomatoes and compare the plants to my ones in pots on my deck. Tricia - seeing that your soil was damaged by Sandy this might be something you want to try. As soon as I pick up the book I'd be happy to share the info with you if you are interested. Two words ......... heirloom tomatoes!

o

This will be my first year with bale gardening our season is so short being in zone 2 plus we only have clay not helpful for growing. We still have 3 feet of snow. I can't imagine any community near here that would be self sustaining with just gardens. I set my bales out in the fall so they would be ready to plant when the snow melts I can't loose precious days waiting for them to cool down when they start to decompose. Setting them out in the fall speeds things up. I hope it yields a bumper crop I have 6 bales in one spot and 2 in another.

Here is a link that might be useful: bale garden set up

o

I've used the straw bale system in the past for cucumbers and melons, it worked really well. I now have a small hoophouse but I might try that system again for a later planting of cukes, thanks for the reminder!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here