Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can you handle the smell?

Posted by CLBlakey (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 17:25

We had to delay Easter dinner due to health reasons so am cooking the Prime Rib today. Its only been in the oven for an hour and already I am going crazy with the smell............................how do you stop your selves from running to the oven and grabbing the bone to rip off a hunk. I feel like a hungry wolf waiting to gnaw on my prize.

spelling edit

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 17:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can you handle the smell?

CL, so glad that you are enjoying your Easter dinner today and hoping the health issues are not serious.

I am exactly the opposite . By the time I have prepared and cooked dinner I'm very often uninterested in eating it. I'm totally turned off.

I wish it wasn't that way but almost always that is how I feel......bummer.

o

Chase, I'm the same as you. I never eat a holiday dinner that I've cooked. I lose my appetite whenever confronted with large quantities of food. It will also happen when in a restaurant and serving sizes are gigantic...I see the plate and literally can't eat a bite.

Enjoy that prime rib, CL! I also hope the health issues were not serious and have gone away.

/tricia

o

Chase -health issues not too serious Thanks. If I had that I think i'd be a lot skinnier. LOL

tricia - I was typing as you posted only 1 month left of this dang medicine and hopefully I won't have these issues again.

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 17:53

o

OMG, I'm the same "no appetite after cooking large". At Christmas this year my nephews asked "Aunt Cathy, why don't you ever eat at the parties?". I'm sure my guests wonder why I'm overweight.

So, to answer the OQ, I the aroma and a nibble of the horseradish herb crust does me fine.

o

I have a very small family where I live most live 12 hours away so I normally only cook for 2 or 3 but leftovers for days. Dinner is done and I was unable to wait for the roast to finish before I lopped off a bit..............................to taste you know.

o

LOL, CLBlakey, that's how Elery is, he has to have that taste, he cannot wait.

I'm in the group that doesn't want to eat it after I've spent a couple of days cooking it. By the time dinner rolls around, I've completely lost my appetite. That's fine, I spend my time taking pictures and playing with the grandkids, I can eat any time!

Annie

o

I am uninterested in eating dinners that take a lot of effort to cook too-generally when entertaining.
However, it is usually because I sample everything during the process!

o

I have a chicken roasting right now and I'll need to gnaw on a wing while it's resting. You have to make sure it tastes ok, don't you?

o

This is one reason I don't use the crock pot too often!

o

I am with Katie on this...must test before serving. The wing and the oysters on chickens are the cooks treat!

o

I was thinking maybe sous vide might be the way for me to go cooking in a bag in water must tame those glorious smells. Hubby laughed at me today and said "some women buy clothes others jewelry but you are happy with a good roast" tis so true. I am still full from supper yet the house still smells so good I don't know if I will be able to sleep. And don't get me started about fresh baked bread..................................

o

"I was thinking maybe sous vide might be the way for me to go cooking in a bag in water must tame those glorious smells. ------"

LOL! I was just going to say. You are correct, with sous vide there is 0 smell in the house.

My 4.5 cubic foot smoker is an indoor smoker, it has practically no smell either.

dcarch

o

The aroma of food gets me more than the sight of it. Once I smell it, I've got to have it. Maybe that's why we lose our appetites when our noses are stuffed.

That could be the new diet fad! Nose plugs.

o

I don't think I can make overnight food in the crock pot anymore. Last time I made chicken broth that way, my normally placid dogs were up half the night whining and scratching the side of my bed!

o

Speaking of dogs, my mutt has a fairly normal amount of tail wagging when I cook something good. But when I cook lamb, she goes absolutely nuts, jumping up and down.

Guess it's in the DNA to salivate over gamy stuff.

o

The one aroma I can't resist is star anise. I often use it in a cooking sauce for short ribs or pork shoulder and always seem to end up taking the pan out of the oven for a sample.

I try to stay away from planning meals that are so fatiguing to make that I don't enjoy eating them. I also don't like being a guest at a dinner or party where the host(ess) is so frazzed out by making every single item "gourmet" or totally from scratch that he/she can't even carry on a conversation.

o

I also, after smelling something cooking all day, feel as though I am "full" from the smell. Now something that does not take long to cook, I am all over that!

o

My dog cries the whole time while the chicken is cooking..............Back to bread once I said it I could not stop thinking about it. Who has ever picked up a fresh warm slice and held it to their face and inhaled deeply. Funny there are men in white coats coming up my driveway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here