Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need idea for a potato side

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 17:12

This weekend is the weekend we put the boats in the water and the whole "fam damily" will be here and hungry!

I'm planning smoked ribs, BBQ rotisserie chickens, slaw with a cream dressing and fresh homemade rolls but I'm stuck on the starch.

There will be 12, maybe 14, of us so sweet potato fries, oven fries and potato skins are out. Don't want potato salad either , too darn cold out plus I'm serving a creamy slaw.

The only thing I can think of is baked potatoes with all the trimmings.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need idea for a potato side

Have you ever made crispy roasted smashed potatoes? They are easy, delish and good for a crowd - you can do most of it ahead of time:

Lots of recipes, here's one from fine cooking...not sure where I first saw them, but they are always a hit. pioneer woman also has a recipe on her site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smashed potatoes

o

Chase, here's an easy scalloped-type potatoes dish that would double well. You might want to browse the Potatoes Cookalong, too.

Delmonico Potatoes from the Red Coach Grille
6 - 8 servings

6 medium potatoes, boiled in skins, then peeled
salt & pepper to taste
1 c. Parmesan cheese
2 c light cream/half-and-half

In a buttered 2 1/2 qt baking dish, coarsely mash potatoes.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper & Parmesan. Cover with cream. Do not stir.
Bake at 425 degrees about 25 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #15: Potatoes

o

Parmesan potatoes are easy and would go well with what you're having. Recipes vary but it's basically large hunks of potato (usually peeled), olive oil, butter, garlic, parmesan cheese, choice of herbs, salt & pepper. Roast at 350-375 til nicely golden (45min - 1h).

o

Crashed potatoes.....boil potatoes and when they are fork tender, put on a foil covered cookie sheet, cover the foil with olive oil...fairlky good coating of oil, put the potatoes oin the sheet and take a glass or a masher and smoosh each one....add butter salt and pepper, garlic and perhaps a little rosemary. Pop inrto a 425 oven until a little bit crisp.
Can be done ahead but for the final "crash and burn".
Linda C.....with inspiration from Ree Drummond

o

I like this one. Easy, surprisingly tasty, makes a lot, can be made ahead, and keeps at room temperature.

Potatoes Fontecchio
From the Silver Palate Good Times cookbook.

5 1/2 pounds red new potatoes

8 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 1/2 cups best quality olive oil

1 large or 2 small bunches fresh mint, stems removed, leaves finely chopped

2 tablespoons coarse (kosher) salt

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350.

Scrub the potatoes and prick each one about 6 times with a fork (this may take longer than you think!). Place in a shallow roasting pan and roast for 2 hours. Cut each potato in half.

Toss the potatoes with the garlic, oil, mint, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.

Serves at least 8.

o

Barnmom, your potato recipe is similar to the Greek potato salad I make all summer long. The potatoes are dressed with olive oil and lemon with a lot of chopped red onion & parsley added. I like the idea of garlic and fresh mint. Typical Greek flavorings. I'm going to have to give that a try soon. I love picking up baby potatoes at the farmers markets. So easy to use and so versatile. Thanks for the recipe.

o

Sounds like lots of fun.
This is really easy with a good payoff:

POTATO GRATIN WITH BOURSIN CHEESE

• 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 - 5 oz pkg Boursin cheese w/ Herbs
  • 3 lbs small red potatoes, thin sliced
  • Salt and Pepper

Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. In saucepan, melt Boursin cheese with the cream. In the baking dish, layer 1/2 the potatoes, salt and pepper, pour half of the cheese mixture over, and repeat the layers. Bake 1 hour at 400.

•  o

Too cold for potato salad??? Not if it is a warm oil and vinegar one full of bacon. The perfect tang to go with BBQ and creamy slaw.

And you can make it a day ahead, chill overnight and re-heat in a crock pot while you are busy with others things.

o

You should post more often on Hot Topics. Been one of the busiest threads all week. LOL

o

If you like garlic, this is stupendous! But you can always cut the garlic down if you prefer....

Potatoes Savoyarde

1T unsalted butter, melted plus
    3T unsalted butter cut into small pieces
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2T finely chopped fresh parsley
    1-1/2c shredded gruyere cheese
    1/4tsp freshly ground pepper
    2-1/2lb potatoes, unpeeled and sliced
    1-1/2c chicken stock

Preheat oven to 375F. Brush 2qt. baking dish with melted butter. In small bowl stir together garlic, parsley, cheese and pepper. Layer 1/3 of the potatoes in prepared dish and sprinkle 1/3 of the garlic/cheese mixture over the top. Dot with 1T of the butter pieces. Repeat the layers once, and finish with the remaining potatoes. Pour the stock and then the remaining garlic/cheese mixture, dot with remaining butter pieces. Cover dish with foil buttered on one side. Bake 30 minutes, remove foil and continue baking until potatoes are tender and top is brown and crusty, about 30-40 minutes longer. Serves 6

(from Williams Sonoma)

A little different, but super good....

Wild Rice Salad
    Ina Garten

1 cup long-grain wild rice
    2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    2 navel oranges
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp fresh orange juice
    2 tbsp raspberry vinegar
    1/2 cup green grapes, cut in half
    1/2 cup pecans, toasted
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1 scallion, white and green parts chopped
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1. In a medium saucepan over high heat combine rice, 4 cups water, and 2 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Drain and return rice to the pan. Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
    2. While rice is still warm, place it in a mixing bowl. Peel oranges with a sharp knife, removing all the white pith. Cut between the membranes and add the orange sections to the bowl with the rice. Add the olive oil, orange juice, raspberry vinegar, grapes, pecans, cranberries, scallions, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Allow to sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature. Serves 4 to 6.

Linda

o

With what you are serving, I think baked potatoes with all the sides is my favorite choice.

o

Wow, Sharon, you SHOULD post more often. This brought out Peppi, Cathy (Mustangs), Kathleen and Linda (doucanoe)! I miss them all when they don't post for a while.

Ah, yes, back to potatoes. I love 'em all ways but with your menu I'd vote for Peppi's hot potato salad or a scalloped potato kind of dish. Or maybe twice baked.

See, I can't make up my mind about potatoes either, I like them all, but no baked beans?

Annie

o

Thanks as usual, think I'll go with a Chipolte Sweet Potato Gratin originally posted by MQ and the potato salad described by Peppi for the wimps.....but Peppi I need a recipe!

o

My family loves this potato salad.

Loaded Baked Potatoe Salad

8 baked potatoes, cubed (half peeled or half with skin)
    6 slices bacon, diced & crisp cooked
    6 green onions
    2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
    16 ounces sour cream
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup Miracle Whip

Crumble bacon and slice onions (including tops).
    Combine sour cream, pepper and Miracle Whip.
    Add to potatoes.
    Add bacon, onions and cheese (reserve some of each for top).
    Mix with potatoes.
    Top with reserved cheese, onions, and bacon
    Bake or serve, as is.
    We prefer it cold or room temp.

o

Or make a big pot of mashed potatoes, stir in sour cream onions and shredded cheese. Top with more cheese and butter and bake. All the flavour of twice-baked without the work! (We love leftover mashed this way)

o

I am so sorry, to see this so late. I found the following at pinterest... and did it myself. Turned out GREAT. The picture is from pinterest.

Photobucket

Crispy Potato Roast
    Serves 8
    Ingredients:
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
    4 shallots, thickly sliced lengthwise
    Coarse salt
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes (optional)
    8 sprigs thyme
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, combine butter and oil. Brush bottom of a round 9-inch baking dish with some butter mixture. With a sharp knife or mandoline, slice potatoes very thinly crosswise.
    2. Arrange potato slices vertically in dish. Wedge shallots throughout. Sprinkle with salt and red-pepper flakes (if using); brush with remaining butter mixture. Bake 1 1/4 hours. Add thyme and bake until potatoes are cooked through with a crisp top, about 35 minutes more.
    *Please note that the recipe is the photo is doubled.

Moni

o

WOW does that ever look good. Looks like a perfect dish for a crowd!

o

It was perfect for a crowd. I used my BIGGEST pan, and used grapeseed oil, as my vegan daughter was coming... and I used the herbs I had... rather than thyme...

and it was absolutely delish! I got to make it again.. in a smaller amount, and remember to take a picture.

Moni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here