Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easter cake?

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 17:03

I'm having 18 or 19 people for Easter dinner and would like suggestions for a cake to make ahead. I was thinking I could get away with one cake if I did it in a 9x13 pan....or is that pushing it?

I was thinking of the lemon bars, or maybe a butter cream cake with my favorite chocolate frosting. But I'm not sure. I thought about apple cake, but I just don't want to deal with all the apples on top of the other cooking I'm doing.

What do you usually have/serve for Easter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easter cake?

When I think of a cake for Easter, I go with something like a pineapple upside-down cake or a yum-yum cake!

The yum-yum cake should be perfect to make ahead if you have the refrigerator space. I just make my favorite yellow cake recipe in a 9x13 and then the usual yum-yum topping (cream cheese & pudding mix, crushed pineapple, then cool whip or whipped cream)... and I usually top with some m. cherries for Easter. The size should be adequate for that number of people, especially since they'll be eating a dinner first, right?

This post was edited by party_music50 on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 20:22

o

This is my favorite for Easter! Carrot cake sandwiched around a layer of cheesecake. It's a bit of work but so good - the flavors are perfect together.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(photo from Beantown Baker)

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrot Cake Cheesecake

o

Europeans eat Simnel cake at Easter. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10634/easter-simnel-cake
The marzipan balls represent the Apostles.

o

I'd recommend baking a 9 X13 hot milk sponge or butter sponge cake and cutting up strawberries for a strawberry shortcake. Both can be done a day ahead of the dinner so all you'd have to do on Easter would be to whip up some cream for a topping.

o

Since I'm doing the cooking, I'm not looking for something too difficult...I'll have my hands full as it is...

The yumyum cake has possibilities as the pineapple will go good with the ham...

I've not heard of the Simnel cake...looks very interesting, while the carrot/cheesecake looks absolutely decadent!

I appreciate the suggestions....any more ideas?

o

Here's our version of the yum-yum cake, although we call it orange coconut cake and it's often on our Easter table. I usually make it about 3 or 4 days ahead of time and pop the entire frosted cake in the freezer and then remove it and set it on the counter to defrost when we're starting dinner.

ORANGE COCONUT CAKE

1 box Duncan Hines golden butter cake mix
1 can mandarin oranges, including any liquid in the can (11-oz.)
4 eggs
1/ 2 cup cooking oil like Crisco oil

Mix together in a large bowl and beat with mixer until oranges have broken up and are distributed through batter, about 4-5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl. Divide batter evenly into 3 greased round cake pans and bake at 325 degrees 20-35 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and set aside on racks to cool.

1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 small package INSTANT lemon pudding mix
1 (7 oz.) package sweetened flaked coconut
1 (8-10 oz.) container of Cool Whip (can use low fat but not the fat free)

Mix pineapple and pudding mix until smooth in large bowl. Add coconut and mix. Blend in cool whip gently but thoroughly.

Assemble cake, spreading a lot of cool whip mixture between layers. Frost sides and top. Chill overnight in the refrigerator. Notes: finished cake can be frozen and then defrosted in the refrigerator. You can also bake it in two pans; just increase the cooking time.

photo 100_0789.jpg

o

Our traditional Easter cake, baked in my mother's cast iron mold, served with other desserts.

Chocolate cake with 7 minute frosting, toothpicks holding the ears on. There is always a fight over who gets the head.

I don't know what year this pic is from, it always looks the same. Tastes better then it looks.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Wow! So many wonderful ideas. I haven't had a strawberry shortcake in a long time. The orange cake looks great and I love being able to freeze ahead of time. That lamb cake looks beautiful, but quite a bit of fussy work to make it so lovely....

o

Maddielee, all the bakeries at our farmers' markets have those lamb cakes in different sizes at Easter time. They sell both undecorated and decorated versions. Yours looks so pretty.

o

My MIL used to always buy an Easter egg cake from a bakery...they were always prettier than they tasted.

o

My SIL makes the most DELICIOUS chocolate chiffon cake with a DREAMY (cooked?) butter cream icing that's creamy but NOT overly sweet. NOT a major dessert person, but will definitely have a piece on SUnday... and maybe request another slice to take home!!

o

The chocolate chiffon sounds wonderful...I've found a recipe on line that sounds similar....that might work out well for us...esp if I can put little bunny sprinkles on top.....

o

I made the chocolate chiffon cake for Easter and it was divine....a real hit!

Everything came out so delish. I was especially impressed with the Easter ham...all but the ham bone disappeared, and it was the easiest thing I ever did. I sprinkled some brown sugar in the crockpot and put the ham in, face down. The tail stuck up too high so I covered it with a piece of foil as a tent to keep all the condesation inside, then I covered it again tightly to the crock pot in foil. It was tasty and tender.

o

A foil covered crock pot? Now why didn't I think of that? Makes perfect sense when a bone or huge roast prevents the lid from fitting as it should.

Thanks for this tip!
Teresa

o

Glad you found the tip helpful, but I can't take credit...I read it on the internet!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here