SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicavanderhoff_gw

When to Freeze Bread Dough & Moral Support

jessicavanderhoff
13 years ago

After making it abundantly clear that all of the real grownups were busy that day, mom has selected me to make Easter dinner. My confidence in my ability to pull this off is approximately equal to her confidence in me. I am trying to do as much ahead of time as possible; we'll get a precooked ham and my stepdad will throw a bunch of stuff on the grill.

Naturally, I've got a lot to prove. Both personally and on behalf of the younger generation (my cousins and sister and I) as we are new to hosting holidays.

My question is about freezing dough for rolls. What I would like to do is make the dough, shape it, let it rise, and freeze the risen dough, then pop it straight into the oven and have instant fresh-baked rolls. However, I cannot find any precedence for this. The closest I can find is that I can bake the rolls halfway and finish baking them from frozen, like a homemade version of brown-and-serve rolls. Has anyone tried either of these techniques?

I am also in the market for one more really impressive make-ahead dish. Something that looks like much more work than it is. Ideally, a side dish, and something that can either be served room temp or cooked/heated in a medium oven. (I think I'll have one at 350 or so, and another on very low to keep stuff warm).

Comments (28)