SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicavanderhoff_gw

When to Freeze Bread Dough & Moral Support

jessicavanderhoff
12 years ago

After making it abundantly clear that all of the real grownups were busy that day, mom has selected me to make Easter dinner. My confidence in my ability to pull this off is approximately equal to her confidence in me. I am trying to do as much ahead of time as possible; we'll get a precooked ham and my stepdad will throw a bunch of stuff on the grill.

Naturally, I've got a lot to prove. Both personally and on behalf of the younger generation (my cousins and sister and I) as we are new to hosting holidays.

My question is about freezing dough for rolls. What I would like to do is make the dough, shape it, let it rise, and freeze the risen dough, then pop it straight into the oven and have instant fresh-baked rolls. However, I cannot find any precedence for this. The closest I can find is that I can bake the rolls halfway and finish baking them from frozen, like a homemade version of brown-and-serve rolls. Has anyone tried either of these techniques?

I am also in the market for one more really impressive make-ahead dish. Something that looks like much more work than it is. Ideally, a side dish, and something that can either be served room temp or cooked/heated in a medium oven. (I think I'll have one at 350 or so, and another on very low to keep stuff warm).

Comments (28)

• annie1992
    12 years ago

OK, first the rolls. I've baked them completely and then frozen, wrapped in foil to reheat and they're pretty good. I've also don'e the "brown and serve" method which wasn't bad. My best results were from shaping the dough and freezing it before the last rise, then letting it rise n the counter and baking right before serving, if that's possible. Frozen dough stays OK in the freezer for a month or so before it starts losing its "oomph".

I'll have to think about your "side dish". Potatoes or vegetable, or do you care?

Annie

• claire_de_luna
    12 years ago

Oh. Well Annie's the real expert, but I haven't had luck with the Brown and Serve method, which I tried doing in a trial before Thanksgiving last year. I also tried freezing the dough, and letting the dough rise overnight but found that once again, my meal was ''waiting on the d*mn rolls'', which was the thing I was trying to get away from. The method that worked best for me is to go ahead and bake the rolls, and reheat them in the oven. They will taste fresh, and it's truly the easiest way to get dinner on the table by a certain time.

I don't know if you want to serve corn with dinner rolls, but I have a recipe for Corn Pie, which came from a Mennonite connection. It's very good, and I really like it with ham. If you'd like the recipe, let me know and I'll post it.

• Related Discussions

In Need of a Name Shredded Beef Twice Baked Sour Dough Bread

Q

Comments (19)
    Whatever happened to my photo? From now on I just may have to use total word descriptions. Season your meat any old way you like to have it seasoned. I used the Penzeys only because I got a nice collection of jars for Christmas and love their blends. Before Penzeys (BP) I would use the old fashioned garlic, pepper, fennel, oregano, bay leaf routine with anything else close to my fingers on the spice shelf. I made a meat pie the other night and used steak seasoning for the ground chuck, it worked out fine. Good luck and let us know how it turned out. I plan on collecting all of the names into one post along with the suggestions I am getting from other sources. You guys are the best, though. Here is a link that might be useful: traveling and cooking with grandpa
    ...See More

freezing homemade bread dough?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hints for freezer bread dough: -Find a recipe that is designed for freezing the dough for the best results. There will be more yeast and sugar and less salt in a recipe destined for the freezer. There is more yeast because the yeast action is slowed once it's in suspension in the dough. The salt regulates the yeast, so less of it will help optimize a quicker rise. If using your own recipe the rule-of-thumb is to double the amount of yeast. -Use Active Dry Yeast instead of fast-rising or instant yeast. Active Dry Yeast is more tolerant to being frozen. -Lean dough breads freeze better than enriched. -Use bread flour instead of all-purpose. The extra gluten will help the loaf rise better. -Honey is also a better choice than sugar whether you are freezing the dough or freezing the baked loaf because it helps maintain moisture in the loaves. -Suggested freezer time is 2 months at 0-degrees F. If your freezer isn't that cold or the temperature fluctuates, I certainly wouldn't stretch it out much longer than that. -Grainlady
    ...See More

Dough rising too quickly in refrigerator & bread tastes acidic?

Q

Comments (12)
    I wouldn't reduce the yeast or you may find you don't have enough yeast activity to get good ovenspring. According to Shirley O. Corriher in her book, "CookWise", when retarding (chilling) dough overnight or longer, it influences the bread in three ways: -Enhances flavor. The cold temperature forces the yeast into dormancy so it is no longer gobbling up all the available sugars. The bacteria then can feed and produce some of their flavorful acids, which add subtle complex flavors and enhance keeping quality. Acids produced at cold temperatures 30-40-degrees F) are wonderfully flavorful, and even at cool temperatures are good. -Reduces ovenspring and loaf volume. Chilling for a period as long as overnight reduces ovenspring (oven rise) and reduces loaf volume. Alcohol that was made by the yeast from the beginning changes to a gas in the hot oven and is a contributor to ovenspring. During a lengthy cold period, alcohol simply evaporates from the surface of the dough and some goes to vinegar. ...Chilling reduces the carbon dioxide in the bubbles, which contributes to a slight change in texture and possibly slightly reduced ovenspring and loaf volume. -Opens texture slightly. Chilling dough retards the action of yeast and influences texture, though much more subtly than breadmaking method. Another point about refrigerator doughs... Enriched recipes designed for the refrigerator (such as Betty Crocker - Potato Refrigerator Dough) include mashed potatoes (or instant mashed potato flakes). WHY? Lloyd M. Maxon, author of "The Baking Book" and a microbiologist who specializes in yeast biochemistry explains... Mashed potatoes - or any pureed vegetable - is vital for refrigerator doughs because it preserves moisture in the dry climate of a fridge. A regular yeast dough would dry and become unworkable more rapidly. These refrigerator dough recipes are great when you want to make the dough ahead of time and the next day use a portion to make hot dog or hamburger buns, cinnamon rolls another day, and dinner rolls yet another. -Grainlady
    ...See More

Mixing bread dough

Q

Comments (5)
    Clair,you're kitchen looks a lot cleaner than mine when I make bread. I made 7 loaves yesterday,and there was flour from one end of the kitchen to the other. LoL on using the sink...I put mine on a chair so I can really punch and knead it...us short people do have to improvise from time to time. By the way,many of my friends think I am nuts to make homemade bread every week,but once you get use to it,it's hard to go back to store bought. Love the picture by the way! Eliza Ann
    ...See More
  • jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, both of you. I have made cheesy potatoes and stuck them in the freezer, and I also plan to make couscous. Others will be bringing asparagus and salad. So, anything else would be fine, either starch or veggie, healthy or not healthy. Not potato, I guess, since I already made some. Claire, I'd love to see the corn pie recipe. What went wrong with the brown-and-serve for you?

• claire_de_luna
    12 years ago

Jessica, they just didn't turn out beautifully golden brown the way I expected them to, nor have the lift I wanted from them. It seemed the browning was more uneven than I anticipated, and they didn't have that just baked look. I could probably perfect my technique, but I didn't have the time to mess with it. I tried it twice, and wasn't relaxed about how it would turn out. Baking the rolls ahead just eliminated all the stress, which is what I was after.

This is so simple, it doesn't seem like it would taste so good! (And people seem to love anything served in a pie plate...because it's PIE. Have you noticed?) Here's the corn pie recipe, which I served with ham and green beans:

Award Winning Corn Pie

l-l/4 cups Reduced Fat Club crackers
    l/2 cup melted butter

2 T. butter
    l cup milk
    2 T. flour
    l/4 cup milk

2 cups fresh or canned corn
    l/2 t. salt
    l/2 onion, minced
    2 eggs, beaten
    Parmesan cheese, grated

Combine cracker crumbs with melted butter, and line a 9" pie pan.

In a small saucepan, add 2 T. butter with l cup milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 3 minutes.

To l/4 cup milk, add flour and mix to a smooth paste. Add slowly to the milk mixture, stirring constantly until thickened (around 2-3 minutes). Cool slightly.

Add the corn and onions to the milk mixture; mix in the beaten eggs. Pour into cracker crumb pie shell and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

Everyone likes finger food, I think. I'd go with sliced celery, carrot sticks, tiny mushrooms, cauliflower and broccoli florets, radish roses, and sticks of jicama. Make a bowl of sour cream dip by mixing with dry Knorr's Vegetable Soup & Dip Mix, or, a packet of dry Taco Seasoning (everyone tries to guess what it is but don't tell them). All of that can be put in baggies or wrapped in plastic wrap and served chilled. The dip must be made ahead for the flavors to meld anyway. The platter can be made up a day ahead, covered and chilled.

For a WOW side dish - easy to prepare ahead and the taste is wonderful plus it only takes 15-20 minutes to bake - roasted vegetables a la Ina. I use ANY combo of veggies - cut up butternut squash (1/2" cubes), asparagus (snap the very ends - if they don't snap they are tough so go up towards the tip a 1/2" and try snapping again), parsnips (1" cubes) (if you've never eaten it please do try - I always get raves for this roasted mystery vegetable), small 1" cubes of yellow potatoes, summer squash cut in rounds (if you can find them this time of year), slivers of red sweet pepper (or other color except green), red onion cut in wedges, carrots steamed first then cut into oblique ovals, slices of garlic, and/or, eggplant in small 1 1/2" pieces. Put everything into a big baggie or a large bowl and sprinkle on peanut oil (I couldn't find a small bottle of it in reg grocery stores but Wal-Mart has it) that would be about 1 tsp per cup of veggies, and sprinkle with coarse salt (Kosher is good, regular table salt you'd use much less) and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper (if you don't have peppercorns and a grinder - buy "restaurant grind"). All the veggies should have a light sheen of oil (not too much) and if you taste, there should be the distinct bite of salt and pepper - it will smooth down when baked. Bake all your choices on a cookie sheet on a single layer at 400F for 15 to 20 min or until everything is tender, flipping them after half the time so that they caramelize equally. Serve now or let cool/refrigerate, and reheat at 350F for 10 minutes. Yes, there is a lot of chopping involved but you can do it over the next few days and refrigerate. I actually keep several bags of roasted veggies in the freezer to pop into the oven before unexpected company arrives. You can add herbs and such but I find them distracting to the true rich flavors of the roasted vegetables (rosemary, basil, oregano, sage. whatever sounds good to you- totally optional). Only your taster would discern the proper seasonings to use.

Nancy

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

First of all Jessica, I can totally relate to your need of moral support. I first joined CF many years ago in a panic when my mom turned over Christmas dinner to me, with a few requests like, "We want an organic turkey." Being vegetarian, I had never even roasted a chicken!

As for another impressive dish, I just got back from a family function and my aunt served a fresh cut pineapple and man was it delicious!! Nothing beats that in my book. I could hardly stop eating it! Another thing to try would be pineapple upside down cake, which is impressive but I don't know if you need a dessert. The fresh pineapple is something that people don't always take time to make and it is super easy and super delish.

Something else I make that is surprisingly easy and suprisingly well received is fruit compote made from dried fruits like orange infused prunes, apricots, dried apples, golden raisins and maybe dried cranberries or cherries. Other dried fruits will work as well, whatever you like. Simmer in cider or sweet wine or grape juice, with a cinnamon stick and a hunk of candied ginger. Serve with a dollop of vanilla yogurt or that honey greek style yogurt, or vanilla pudding. Would also be OK just plain. Probably be great with the ham. Can make in the crockpot. Serve it warm and spiced, it will be a hit. Frankly, even plain old homeade applesauce is great. I use Ina Garten's recipe with brown sugar, orange juice and a pinch of allspice, you can Google it.

Something I make for an appetizer that is easy peasy is equal parts Gorgonzola cheese crumbled and cream cheese, to make a spread. Add toasted chopped walnuts. Serve with bruschetta or your favorite crackers. Apple and pear slices soaked in lemon-water to preserve their color go good with this. Or you could do spinach dip and hummus with pita chips, which seems to be always a hit with my crowd.

Oh, and another easy cool thing to make if you are serving alcohol is white sangria. Get a dryish white wine, Spanish wine if you can find some, add 7-Up, Peach brandy or Cointreau, and some cut up fruit like organges, grapes, strawberries or cherries. If you're tea-totallers, find a recipe for a tea or herbal tea-based punch.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

I've never made it, but ratatouille has always intrigued me. A bunch of veggies roasted and then served at room temperature.
    Do you think something like that would be possible?

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the fantastic ideas. I think we have roasted asparagus coming, so I'll have to skip the roasted veg. Lpink, I've done Thai coffee caramel ice cream, strawberry swirl cheesecake, and will attempt chocolate cake with cream cheese icing tonight, so I guess I'd better hold back on any more desserts :-) That compote sounds fantastic, though. Also, I figure we should switch mothers. Mine is vegetarian today. I really like the idea of dip or an appetizer. Rattatouille is a great idea for a weeknight dinner! :-)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well....you have a ham and "something" tossed on the grill...presumably meat.
    Then you will have dinner rolls....and I agree the best way is to make them, bake them, wrap tightly in foil and freeze reheat at 300 for about 30 minutes before you eat....if from frozen....for 15 minutes if they are thawed.
    And you will have cheesy potatoes and couscous...I sure don't see that you need any more starchy stuff.
    You don't say what kind of "salad" someone is bringing....green leafy salad? Jello salad?
    Sounds like you need either a green salad like the broccoli salad posted below, or a fruit salad.

Ingredients:

* 2 bunches broccoli, florets only (5 to 6 cups florets)
    * 3/4 cup sweet onion chopped
    * 1/2 cup golden raisins
    * 10 to 12 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
    * Dressing:
    * 1 cup mayonnaise
    * 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    * 2 teaspoons sugar

Preparation:
    Separate florets from broccoli stalks. Save the remainder of the broccoli for another use or freeze for later. Combine salad ingredients; top with dressing mixture. Chill and serve.

For a fruit salad I would mix fresh pineapple chunks....but canned would be OK too, apple slices ( the pineapple will keep it from browning) halved red and green seedless grapes.
    Amounts don't matter...just so it looks pretty....then if you want a dressing, mix 2 teaspoons of lime juice and 1 rounded tablespoon of brown sugar with a cup of soulr cream and mix into the bowl just before serving.
    You can cut the fruit and refrigerate over night as long as you don't add any sugar or dressing that would create a lot of juice.
    Good luck....you'll do fine!
    What's for dessert???
    Linda c

• John Liu
    12 years ago

How many people are you hosting? Will you all be eating at a table, or will paper plates be balanced on knees etc? Will the weather be right for summery food, or are you still having cold and wet days? How much prep time do you have ahead of the meal, and what time is the meal? Are you looking for desserts in addition to sides and appetizers? Finally, are you sticking to pretty traditional fare - nothing really ethnic?

I gather that, so far, the main is a ham (you'll honey glaze it?) and some grilled meat; there will be cheesy potatoes; and some sort of green salad and asparagus is coming. Seems you just need hors d'oeuvres, one more side, and a dessert - and maybe an extra side in case someone else falls down on the job?

Off the top of my head, with a nod to spring and Easter themes, maybe:

Easy hors d'oeuvres:
    - Deviled eggs
    - Buffalo wings
    - Cheese plate
    - Antipasto plate

Easy sides, pretty traditional all:
    - Pasta salad
    - Corn fritters or home made French fries - not really make-ahead, though
    - French onion soup or some other soup, if it'll be cold
    - Some non-tomato pasta, like carbonara, pesto, al fredo based
    - Vegetable kabobs, to do on the grill

Dessert
    - No real ideas, but there certainly must be dessert!

What in this list or the other posts sounds good? You can pick and we'll find you recipes.

You know this, but you'll want to get all the shopping, table-setting and non-food prep done the previous evening. Leave the whole day of, free for cooking.

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

I thought of that salad too Linda, the broccoli kind. Might be overkill with asparagus, but some people don't like asparagus. Probably the same folks who don't like broccoli, lol! The nice thing about ratatouille (not just for this meal, but in the future) is it can be made the day ahead or earlier in the day. It benefits from "marinating" a bit. The great thing about fresh fruit or a fresh fruit salad is it goes well with the richer desserts and some folks, (like me) prefer it to dessert. But you can serve fresh fruit for an appetizer too!

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda, leafy green, and desserts are above. That brown sugar sour cream combo sounds delicious.

John, 10-15 people, paper plates on knees, forecast calls for 70's and thunderstorms. Dinner is either at 2 or 4, it's still under negotiations. I prefer to do most things this week, but will have time before the meal if necessary. Luckily, I've pawned off the prep work (shopping and buying plates and whatnot) on mother dearest. Ethic sounds good. Maybe something with noodles, or a dip, or plantains? Ok, I really haven't decided. Now that you mention it, I haven't given any thought to the ham. I think I prefer savory to sweet. . .

Claire, my post saying thank you didn't show up. Thank you for the recipe!

• lsr2002
    12 years ago

Jessica, for what it's worth - I think you are one of the "real" grownups. just look at how much thought and planning you've put in already. I know you'll be a great hostess - be careful though if too many others think that, you'll get asked/told to host again.

I would definitely second Linda C's suggestion for sour cream and brown sugar. I do that a lot as a sauce with fruit, the brown sugar just dissolves into the sour cream and it is yummy. I probably use more than a tablespoon to a cup but you can just do it to taste. I've never tried it with lime but that sounds wonderful.

Good Luck with everything; I can't wait to hear how your day goes.

Lee

• annie1992
    12 years ago

jessica, I will admit that the brown and serve option was my least favorite of the three, and freezing the dough and then allowing it to thaw and rise before baking can be time consuming and difficult to time correctly. In your situation, I think I'd bake ahead, then reheat, truthfully, but the others are options.

You have a leafy green, or I'd suggest Mustang's proscuitto and fig salad, it's amazing and everyone always asks for the recipe. Well, except Ashley, who doesn't like figs, LOL

To expand on L's theme of fresh pineapple, a fresh fruit salad might be nice, or this salad from doucanoe (Linda)and Eating Well, which would also suit your currently vegetarian mother. I seldom fiddle with mangoes, they're just too slimy, slippery and time consuming, but this would be an exception:

Roasted Corn, Black Bean & Mango Salad

8 servings, generous 1/2 cup each

2 teaspoons canola oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups corn kernels, (from 3 ears)
    1 large ripe mango, (about 1 pound), peeled and diced
    1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can black beans, rinsed
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    3 tablespoons lime juice
    1 small canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (see Ingredient Note), drained and chopped
    1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the corn mixture to a large bowl. Stir in mango, beans, onion, bell pepper, lime juice, chipotle, cilantro, cumin and salt.

Per serving : 125 Calories; 2 g Fat; 0 g Sat; 1 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 26 g Carbohydrates; 4 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 245 mg Sodium; 223 mg Potassium

Yes, you are definitely one of the grownups.

Annie

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I suppose I really could just shape and bake them in the morning, as long as the other side dish is low maintenance. I didn't mix up the dough until last night, so it should still be fine on Sunday, perhaps with a nice sourdough flavor. It'll keep me entertained so there are still some mohitos left when the family arrives.

I really appreciate the votes of confidence :-D

That salad sounds fantastic, and so does figs and prosciutto! Now I'm having trouble deciding . . .

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

You can get presliced frozen mangoes sometimes in the freezer section of certain groceries. And you can add a dab of mango chutney for the mango flavor in these salads too. Peaches can also sub for mangoes. I sliced my finger bad one time prepping a fresh mango and have been afraid of them ever since.

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ouch! I think I've seen mango peelers somewhere, but I suppose those are really only a good purchase for Thai restaurants and people who adore mangoes.

I stopped by Aldi on my lunch break, and they had delicious-smelling pineapples for $1.79, so I bought one. If I am feeling ambitious, I will skewer the pieces and have my stepdad throw them on the grill for a second. I plan to serve with sour cream brown sugar. I have to make at least one more grocery run, so maybe I will find another fruit or two that looks good (figs would be pretty!). It would be too much to hope that the gods will smile and strawberries show up in the farmers market on Saturday. I think I can pass fruit off as a side dish, even though it's secretly another dessert. I think I will also make sesame noodles-- they're not very exciting, but they taste good at room temperature and my family likes them. That should give us plenty of food, I think.

Now if that dried-out mess of a cake I made last night has been magically rehydrated by the buttercream filling, I'm golden :-D

• beth4
    12 years ago

Hopping in here late, but I've been thinking about your debut as a hostess for your family, and the need to keep it simple yet successful. I'm wondering if yeast rolls are a bit overwhelming given all the other things you'll need to bake, and the amount of prep time required. Plus, unless you're an accomplished bread/roll baker, there's always the element of uncertainty for us yeast roll novices.

How feasible would it be to serve muffins? They are easy to assemble, and can be baked at the last minute, right before serving for normally 15-20 minutes or so. No kneading, no rising...Just mix and spoon into muffin tins and bake. There are any number of wonderful muffins you could serve for your Easter meal.....blueberry, or rhubarb, or lemon or any number of flavors to accompany your ham. And they'll be delicious, fresh and home made.

Just a thought. I hope everything turns out well for you.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Sorry jessica but I am in carbo overload reading your menu....
    Rolls....5 days refrigerated dough (????maybe....but it does have a possibility of failure) cheesy potatoes, cous cous....sesame noodles and fruit salad....
    Each is yummy but you really need a veggie without a creamy sauce...
    And we haven't even mentioned dessert...
    Think seriously about something green and crunchy.
    Linda C

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beth, that's true, there is some uncertainty. The good thing is that the main supply of rolls (for the hotdogs and chicken) is being bought. These are just there to provide a whole-grain option. So, if they're a bust, I can toss them in the trash and no one will know they ever existed. I've worked out a schedule, and since I'll be making virtually everything else ahead and my stepdad will be handling the grill, I think the morning will be non-stressful.

Linda, we'll have asparagus and a green salad. Maybe some other roasted veggies too-- mom often does a variety. The dough is a very wet dough, and I think it'll keep. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It seems like you're assuming that everyone will eat everything. This is a picnic-style meal, not a sit-down dinner, and people will take what they like. The couscous will be whole grain and have goat cheese and fruit, and it may not appeal to the people eating cheesy potatoes. Some of my family is beer-swilling rednecks, and some love new and different food, so I'm trying to cover my bases. There will be plenty of protein stuff-- hot dogs, grilled chicken, black bean burgers, and ham, so people should be able to achieve whatever combination of macronutrients they prefer.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

LOL, jessica, I love it. I have some "beer swilling rednecks" in my family too, and I have a feeling a few other members do too, but only a couple of us will admit it outright. (grin)

I do have a super easy butterflake roll recipe that has no kneading, and you make it the night before, let it rise in the fridge and bake the next day, but since you already have dough done....it'll be interesting to see what your 5 day old dough does and you're right, with hot dog and sandwich buns, no one will really notice if there are not rolls, but some will be happy if they are. Win-win...

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

LOL Jessica, cooking for your family sounds like cooking for mine. I'm always torn between something interesting and healthy for my mom and I, and something with my dad's five food groups--meat, sugar, fat, salt and starch. He is almost paranoid about anything "green." I sure need moral support when it comes time to cook a family meal! I know my dad can never have enough bread at a meal, that's for sure! Plus, what he does or does not eat seems to change constantly. One year he likes something, the next he doesn't, and vice versa. So I end up cooking a variety of things, hoping something fits the bill.

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annie, that sounds fantastic for a weekend breakfast. Can I have the recipe anyway?

Lpink, that sounds like a tough situation. It seems to be a gender divide in my family as well (a relic of the hunter-gatherer life, perhaps?) We're quite the hodge podge. In addition to the rednecks and the recovering vegetarian, we're two Jews plus two pre-conversion, almost-Jews, loosely observing passover, one who isn't observing, but is slightly prejudiced against pork, and a Mexican. The Mexican and one of the rednecks can cook, so we get a pretty cool assortment of food at Family holidays!

• jessicavanderhoff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for the help everyone!

We ended up with hummus and two kinds of homemade flatbread, cheeses and olives and such, crackers and spinach-artichoke dip, pineapple and sauce, sesame noodles, couscous, asparagus, broccoli, potatoes, a beautiful fruit salad that my cousin brought, an assortment of grilled meats plus ham, strawberry cheesecake, un-leavened cupcakes made by my niece, brownies (shaped like a bunny, per family tradition, and also unleavened, just by luck)with cream cheese icing and toasted coconut, and Thai coffee ice cream with caramel swirl. It was lucky that we had such an obscene amount of appetizers and desserts, because my stepdad burned the asparagus and a good part of the meat to a crisp on the grill. I am the most proud of the mohitos. I infused the rum with my home-grown mint, made a simple syrup with lime juice and zest, and garnished with lime, mint, and a violet.

Oh, and the rolls were flat as pancakes. :-P They rose nicely, then deflated completely when I covered them and tried to transport them before baking. Next time, white flour and pre-cooked!!

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Sounds like things went very well - your parts of it, anyway - congratulations. No matter about the rolls, when there are so many dishes, one more or less is not big deal.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Sounds lovely....I have baked lots and lots and LOTS of rolls for family holiday meals....and sometime in the past 10 years I have learned to bake them ahead and freeze....and reheat in foil before dinner...saves on the stress for the cook.
    Linda C

• John Liu
    12 years ago

jvh - now that you are a ''real adult'', many privileges confer. You get to do Thanksgiving '11, where stepdad will not be permitted near the turkey. And you get your first gray hair. Oh joy. Congratulations again.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

It does sound lovely, except for the flat rolls, but enough mojitos and you're good, LOL. I love your description of your family, it sounds a lot like mine except we don't have a Mexican. Yet. Everyone from the college educated engineer to the police officer/firefighter to the old farmers, add a Jewish DIL on Elery's side plus his family from Tennessee and we've got a bit of everything. (grin)

OK, the butterlake rolls recipe, easy as can be. Even San made a batch a few years ago and was successful and she told me she did NOT bake bread. Ever. This halves easily, I just use a whole egg, I don't try to halve it and I use all butter, no shortening.

Butterflake Rolls

2 packages active dry yeast
    2 cups warm water
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tsp salt
    6 to 6 1/2 cups flour
    1 egg
    1/2 cup shortening (use butter)
    1/2 cup butter, softened.

In mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and shortening, mix well, stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, punch dough down and divide into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a 14 x 12 inch rectangle, spread 2 tbls butter over dough. Fold in half lengthwise and cut into 12 strips. Tie each strip into a knot, tuck and pinch ends under. Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 4 dozen

And congratuations on the "grown up" dinner, it sounds perfect to me.

Annie