SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tobyt_gw

Interesting (to me) thoughts on baking

TobyT
11 years ago

Some of you may remember that I posted last year, asking for help in choosing quick and easy baking ideas for my niece who has attention issues. Her mother (my sister) doesn`t bake but Sarah loves to.
We ended up doing a lot of molded chocolates, with intricate painting and decorating. Sarah was totally focused for 3 hours until Auntie Jane couldn`t take any more. The next morning we made two kinds of cookies, again about a 3 hour span with total concentration from Sarah.
So since them, we have a `baking sleepover` every 3 or 4 weeks. We have done pies, jelly roll, heavily decorated cupcakes and numerous kinds of cookies. Each and every time she has been 100% focused from start to finish. My sister (who happens to be a teacher) is amazed.
Sarah is coming again today and we are making Snickerdoodles and an Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast.
Guess I just wanted to share this little baking victory. This is a little girl who has a special desk, right next to the teacher, and sadly spends time alone in the hallway to complete her work. But give her a spatula and a whisk and she is good for 3 hours of intense concentration. Maybe we need baking classes in school...
Jane

Comments (18)