Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe

Posted by cbadcali (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 15:18

Would anyone have a recipe for strawberry shortcake? I'm looking for a cake type one not the biscuit one. I found one online but it has 3 teaspoons of baking powder and that seems like a lot for a 9x13 cake. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cbad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Shortcake Recipe

I use pound cake instead of biscuits and have been using the recipe from Joy of Cooking, but I'm sure there are plenty of other good pound cake recipes out there. I bake the pound cake in a loaf pan and then put the macerated strawberried on slices as I serve it with whipped cream. I do not assemble it until I serve it.

Lars

o

Here's Pioneer Woman's version strawberry shortcake

Here is a link that might be useful: Pioneer Woman's strawberry shortcake

o

3 teaspoons of baking powder is not a lot for a cake if it used 2 1/2 cups of flour....

I like a basic 2 egg cake...
Depending on how I am going to serve it, I may bake it in 2 round 8 inch pans or one 8 1/2 by 11.
If I bake in an 8 1/2 by 11, I split and spread with crushed and macerated berries and whipped cream and top with the other half, more berries and more whipped cream.

2 egg cake

1/2 c. butter
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/4 c. sifted flour
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. + 2 tbsp. milk

Cream shortening, then add sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time. Add flour alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes depending on size and kind of pan used for baking.

o

I make Cottage Pudding, a recipe from my Fanny Farmer cookbook. Makes a good upside down cake, too.

Cottage Pudding

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Grease and flour a shallow 8" x 8" cake pan

Sift together:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar

Mix:
1 egg well beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter

Stir gently into flour mixture, pour into pan
Bake until brown and crusty

o

I always make some sort of cake with strawberries for Moe's birthday. Tradition.
Last year I made this cake:

Japanese Strawberry Shortcake
Source: La Fuji Mama
https://sites.google.com/site/thibeaultstablerecipes/japanese-strawberry-shortcake

Makes one 7 or 8-inch layered cake

For Noriko's sponge cake:
4 large eggs, white and yolks separated
4.2 ounces (120 grams, 9.5 tablespoons) granulated sugar, sifted once
3 tablespoons milk, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4.2 ounces (120 grams, 14 tablespoons) cake flour, sifted 3 times
1.2 ounces (22 grams, 2.3 tablespoons) butter, melted

For the stabilized whipped cream frosting:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
4 teaspoons cold water
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the simple syrup:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water

8 to 10 ounces fresh strawberries

To make Noriko's Sponge Cake:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (170 to 180 degrees Celsius). Line a 7 (18cm) or 8-inch circular cake pan with parchment paper, or grease the cake pan with butter, then lightly coat the pan with flour.

2. Add the sugar to the egg whites, and beat the egg whites until they are stiff and glossy.

3. Add the egg yolks to the egg white mixture, and gently whisk until the yolks are incorporated.

4. Add the milk, vanilla extract, and flour (in that order) to the batter and gently fold them into the batter with a spatula. Fold in the melted butter until it is well combined.

5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, and get rid of any air bubbles in the batter by dropping the pan on a counter once or twice. Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes. The cake is done when it is golden brown and springs back when pressed lightly. Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack. Run a blade around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake, and remove.

To make the Stabilized Whipped Cream Frosting:

1. Put the cold water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the surface of the water and let stand for 5 minutes (do not stir). Place the saucepan over low heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon just until the gelatin dissolves. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool to room temperature.

2.In a mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and beat until slightly thickened. Then, while beating slowly, gradually pour the gelatin into the whipped cream mixture. Then whip the mixture at high speed until stiff.

To make the Simple Syrup:

1. In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring the water to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

To assemble the cake:

1. Reserve 6 to 1o strawberries for decorating the cake. Slice the remaining strawberries into thin slices (about 4 slices per strawberry).

2. Slice the sponge cake horizontally into 2 layers.

3. Place one sponge layer cut-side up on a cake board or serving plate and lightly crush the surface with the simple syrup. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream over the cake layer and arrange the strawberry slices over the surface. Spread an additional layer of whipped cream over the strawberries. Brush the cut-side of the second layer with the simple syrup and place it over the first layer. Frost the sides and top of the cake with the remaining whipped cream. Decorate as desired and garnish with the reserved strawberries.

o
RE: Strawberry Shortcake Recipe - 2

This cake recipe was shared by Karen (Riverrat). Delicious.

LEMON BUTTERMILK CAKE WITH STRAWBERRIES
=======================================
Source: Karen Riverrat
Serve this dense, moist cake with a big bowl of lightly sweetened strawberries.
CAKE
1-3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
3 extra-large eggs
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
1 16-ounce package frozen sliced sweetened
Strawberries, thawed
FROSTING
12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
5 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 1-pint baskets strawberries, hulled.

FOR CAKE: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter and flour three 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Beat sugar, butter and lemon peel in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice. Sift flour, baking soda and salt into medium bowl. Stir dry ingredients into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Transfer pans to racks and cool 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks and cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap tightly in plastic and store at room temperature.)
Boil sliced sweetened strawberries with juices in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced to 2/3 cup and begins to thicken, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
FOR FROSTING: Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in lemonade concentrate and lemon peel.
Divide strawberry mixture between 2 cake layers and spread over tops, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. Let stand until slightly set, about 5 minutes. Place 1 strawberry-topped layer on platter. Drop 3/4 cup frosting atop cake by spoonfuls; gently spread over top. Top with remaining strawberry-topped layer. Drop 3/4 cup frosting by spoonfuls atop cake; gently spread over top. Top with remaining cake layer. Using spatula, spread remaining frosting in decorative swirls over sides and top of cake. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome and chill. Let cake stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing.)
Decoratively arrange strawberries, pointed side up, atop cake. Cut into wedges and serve.
Serves 12.
Bon Appetit
June 1995
Jeanne Thiel Kelley: Los Angeles, California

o
RE: Strawberry Shortcake Recipe - 3

This is a favourite. I've been making this cake for over 30 years.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Strawberry Roll
===============
4 Eggs at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 Granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sifted cake flour
Confectioner's sugar
9 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
1 quart strawberries sliced

Preheat oven to 400°F

Beat the eggs, preferably in an electric mixer, with the baking powder
and salt until thick and light-coloured, gradually adding
three-quarters cup granulated sugar. Add the vanilla and fold in the
flour.

Turn into a 15 1/2 X 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan that has been greased
and lined with greased paper. Bake thirteen minutes.

Turn from the pan onto a towel that has been dusted with confectioners
sugar. Quickly remove the paper and cut off the crisp edges of the
cake. Roll, jelly-roll fashion, with the towel inside and enwrapping
the cake. Chill

Cream the cheese until fluffy with the Grand marnier and three
tablespoons of sugar. Unroll the cake, spread with cheese and
distribute the sliced berries over the cheese. Roll, jelly-roll
fashion and chill until cold. Serve with additional berries crushed
and sweetened to taste.

o

Oh you guys. I can't thank you enough. All of the recipes look wonderful. I think picking one will be really hard, especially with the pictures. I am going to make one of these for my darling daughter in law, who is due to give birth to my twin granddaughters on Thursday. I would tell you their names, but my son and daughter in law are keeping them secret til they arrive, cuz they don't want any "helpful" grandmother input. Thanks again, the recipes are just what I am looking for. Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here