SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Barley Malt in Whole Wheat Dough?

plllog
9 years ago

I've been working on personalizing a whole wheat pizza recipe. The thing I've been missing though is the barley flavor. Meantime, Grainlady has me about convinced to get a grain mill and grind my own wheat. So now I have a couple of questions that I hope you all can answer and save me from too many failed experiments.

1. Can I substitute diastatic barley malt for sugar to feed my yeast? If yes, I know I'd have to adjust the proportion, so any suggestions of how much to use would be welcome.

2. If not, is malted barley, such as they sell for brewing, appropriate for grinding for baking? (I'm not malting my own.)

3. If yes to #2, are there sufficient benefits to grinding whole grain malted barley at home?

4. Can a sufficiently small amount be milled in a grain mill? My spice mill did an adequate but not brilliant job on some coffee beans. Made more of a meal texture than a powder. It's great with flaxseeds though.

If no one knows the answer to #1, I'll just give it a try and see. I only use sugar for the yeast, and don't care about its flavor, but do want the barley flavor, so thought it might be a good tradeoff. Alternatively, if there is some point in grinding whole malted barley, I'd be fine keeping the sugar if necessary.

Thanks!

JC

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County