Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jessicav- sesame noodles? (others welcome)

Posted by bizzo (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 14:32

jessicavanderhoff posted on Lindac's Easter starch thread that she was making Sesame Noodles this weekend... What's your T&T?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jessicav- sesame noodles? (others welcome)

(grin) I've never been called out on a post before! I think I'll start with equal parts soy sauce, garlic oil, and rice vinegar, a tablespoon or two of sesame oil, sriracha until it tastes spicy enough, and a little pinch of brown sugar. Then I'll taste it and probably decide it needs a little extra acid :-) This year, I'm planning on cooking down the sauce before I dress the noodles, to thicken it. I'm using spaghetti-looking rice noodles, which I will cook with about half the salt I would usually put in pasta water, and cool with a small amount of water from the sink sprayer, so as not to de-salt them too much. Right before we eat, I will sprinkle on some gomasio (black and normal sesame seeds).

o

Sounds yummy!

o

It does sound yummy! thank you

o

My T&T recipe calls for peanut butter. It goes like wildfire at parties.

o

Yes, peanut butter (creamy). You can also get sesame paste in Asian stores.

Don't forget to sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on top.

dcarch

o

I agree, peanut butter makes a great addition. I'm not crazy about tahini- I sort of waive some over my hummus out of obligation- but mixed with something sweet, it could make the flavor more complex.

o

when adding peanut butter, do you just add a tblesp or so to taste to the dressing before cooking down? without heat?

o

1. Typically you don't use rice noodles. Best is to use Asian noodles or make your own noodles. You add a little "edible alkali (potassium carbonates)" to the dough to get that special texture and flavor.

2. You will still need sesame oil. In your recipe, I would use one tea spoon sesame oil and three table spoons of peanut butter. Stir fry the peanut butter into the cooked noodles.

dcarch

o

thanks dc!

o

Glad you got an answer, bizzo! I probably wouldn't cook the sauce if I were using peanut butter, since it thickens it up. I do think it's worth it to toast the peanuts, if you're sprinkling some on top.

o

Re PB. My recipe calls for a quite a large amount. And there is no cooking involved.

o

Laceyvail, I'd love to have your recipe. Thanks!

These flavors sound really good to me today.

Eileen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here