SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19982892

Need help with tonight's dinner

User
11 years ago

It has to be pork tenderloin 'cause I took it out of the freezer Thursday and we are gone for the next two days.

Can't be a picatta 'cause we had veal picattta last night.

Can't have mushrooms ..have none and with this freezing rain I'm not going to town which also nix'es BBQ because I just don't want to do that in this weather.

Don't want a breaded fried thing...but that may be where I have to go. Have what I need for my Sweet and Sour Pork but had that not too long ago.....

Seriously I have been all through my recipes and nothing is clicking....

Comments (14)

• TobyT
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Sharon:
    I made this one a few weeks ago, when I was wondering what to do with a pork tenderloin. Its quick and easy and we all enjoyed it. It's a Rachel Ray recipe.

Balsamic Roasted Pork Tenderloin
    Ingredients
    4 1/2 pounds pork tenderloins, 2 packages with 2 tenderloins in each package
    4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    8 cloves garlic, cracked
    Steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and black pepper
    4 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves stripped and finely chopped
    4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and finely chopped
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Trim silver skin or connective tissue off tenderloins with a very sharp thin knife.

Place tender loins on a nonstick cookie sheet with a rim. Coat tenderloins in a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, rubbing vinegar into meat. Drizzle tenderloins with extra-virgin olive oil, just enough to coat. Cut small slits into meat and disperse chunks of cracked garlic cloves into meat. Combine steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and pepper with rosemary and thyme and rub meat with blend. Roast in hot oven 20 minutes.

Let meat rest, transfer to a carving board, slice and serve.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/balsamic-roast-pork-tenderloins-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

You could do a teriyaki-style marinade and bake it, then reduce the marinade to drizzle over the sliced pork.

• Related Discussions

What are you having for dinner tonight?

Q

Comments (29)
    lynne...no you have to stop...I am SO not super...if you only knew. I started making all our bread in 1977 or so...saw an article in a BH&G about a little boy that made and sold Challah from his wagon. I thought if this little Jewish boy could do this why not me ??? The first batch turned out so well I have kept it up and expanded to lots of other types. There are 100'a of pics on my photobucket food album. I have "taught" so many folks on GW over the years...it has been so rewarding. There are slideshows on the pb album too. Let me know if you are interested. The Wild Yeast is very different from " straight" doughs...those that use commercial yeast. it is a whole different concept. Would be glad to discuss with you via email off GW if you like...just send me a note. c
    ...See More

Dinner tonight?

Q

Comments (20)
    last night I made country style ribs in the pressure cooker with teriyaki sauce...threw in some fresh green beans. It was soooo good.....tonight we'll have what's left of that. I made alot! I have been trying to make a running list of meals that we like and haven't had in awhile to give me ideas now and then. Sometimes I just go blank trying to think about the meals for the week. Hate getting in a rut!
    ...See More

Tonight at dinner...

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks all...I really struggled to come up with a pattern. Seemed like everything I did and liked looked too girly to be on his frame. I cut up a lot of glass in many different colors and shapes and didn't like how it looked until I pulled out the black & white. Then I decided to grout it gray but all I had was white and black grout. So I kept mixing white and black, then a little more white..oops now a little more black...by the time I got the color how I wanted it I had enough grout mixed up to probably grout 20 frames. LOL A couple of days later...we bought gray grout!!! That's what Colleen used on Bama's frame. It's so much easier when you don't have to mix up the grout to get the color you want! Wench...I'll have to remember to tell my DH that at dinner tomorrow night! He'll get such a kick out of it. Barb
    ...See More

Squash Recipe Urgently Needed Tonight's Dinner!

Q

Comments (25)
    Patrina, I really do live a pretty Spartan existence...don't think I could afford a dehydrator and severe doubts as to whether my solar power could drive one anyway... My dehydrator consists of 2 framed flyscreens, sandwiching the preferred produce, left atop an old 44 gallon drum outside in a Mudgee Summer...successful last year with about 5 kilos of tomatoes and 3 shoe-boxes full of dried chillies! Like you, I have one litre bottles of olive oil, one each with chillies, toms, rosemary, garlic...another with garlic and fetta cheese (yum!). The sqash are outside sunning themselves as we speak...and wouldn't you know it, thunderstorms predicted for next 4 days! Still, rather have the rain than the dehydration (cough, cough...). Regards, Shax
    ...See More
  • John Liu
    11 years ago

Ha! Similar to my dilemma last night. What to do with a pork loin? I ended up doing this (pasting from other thread, w/ added details):

Pork loin, cubed (1"), salted and marinated (20 min) in Tiger sauce (a kind of mild hot sauce - any other hot sauce/chili sauce would work, just a little), oil (I used sesame oil for flavor and veg oil for lubrication), and just a little soy sauce (don't want to turn it dark), sauteed (highest heat, in small batches, so you can get a bit of browning but the inside is still tender), and tossed with (plenty of) a cooked mixture of onion (white or red, plus green if available), garlic and lots of fine-diced red jalapeno (the chili pepper is important, I guess you could use a bell pepper but then increase the hot sauce).

If I was making this for dinner, I'd add something crunchy - walnuts, almonds, pine nuts - and serve over wilted greens.

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

You could also cut it into cubes and make what we call City Chicken. My niece is using the computer with my recipes on it so here's a link to another thread with it and some other pork ideas.

The Pork Cookalong thread on FAQ might give you some inspiration too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork loin recipes

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

You still have time to put it in the smoker.

dcarch

• lakeguy35
    11 years ago

You probably have this in your stash of recipes. Thought I'd post it for alll the new members and you too. : ) I have her recipe for tenderloin with dijon cream sauce too if you would like it.

David

PORK TENDERLOIN WITH MAPLE GLAZE -- Weed
    3 12- to 14-ounce pork tenderloins, cut in half
    2 Tbl crumbled dried sage leaves or rubbed sage
    2 Tbl crushed garlic
    Oil to moisten sage/garlic
    Salt, pepper
    2 Tbl. Oil
    2 Tbl Butter + 1 more for shallots
    1 cup pure maple syrup + ¼ cup to finish sauce
    ¾ cup apple cider vinegar + ¼ cup to deglaze pan
    2 Tbl. Dijon mustard
    ½ cup shallots, finely diced
    Mix sage and garlic, add a little oil to moisten. Rub all over tenderloins, sprinkle on salt and pepper and let sit one hour.
    Mix 1 cup maple syrup, ¾ cup apple cider vinegar and the Dijon and set aside.
    Melt butter and oil in a deep pan or pot over medium-high heat until hot and bubbling. Add pork tenderloins and cook, turning to brown on all sides. The garlic and butter will start burning and sticking to the bottom of the pan ��" that is ok and will make the sauce delicious. Pork will be very dark too, and almost crispy on the outside.
    Cook pork until internal temperature reaches 140. (pork will be med-rare, it will cook further as it rests and in the last step.) Remove pork from pan, put on a platter and cover loosely with foil.
    Keeping the heat on med-high, add the shallots to the pan along with another tablespoon of butter. Saute shallots, stirring constantly, until they are limp and taking on a bronze color, about 3 minutes. If they start to burn before they go limp, lower heat, but bring it back up for the next step.
    Deglaze the pan with ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, scraping up as much of the burnt stuff on the bottom of the pan as possible.
    Add the maple syrup/vinegar/Dijon mix to pan. Lower heat to a lively simmer and cook until sauce thickens. Keep digging around on the bottom to get even more of the burnt stuff. Sauce will be very dark, almost black, from the goodies on the bottom of the pan.
    When sauce is desired consistency, add ¼ cup more maple syrup and return pork and any accumulated juices to pan.
    Heat the pork through in the simmering sauce. Do not overcook pork ��" inside should be nicely pink, like a med-well steak. I just cut it open and peek :)
    Put one piece of pork on each plate and cover with sauce. Serve with white or brown rice and smother that with the sauce too.
    Bon Appétit
    October 2000
    (with changes and additions by weed!)

• User
    11 years ago

This is one of my favourite ways to do Pork Tenderloin. It is easy and you probably have all the ingredients on hand.

Rub the pork tenderloin with fresh minced garlic and season with salt and lots of coarse ground black pepper.
    Add a little oil to a shallow roasting pan and place the tenderloin in a 450°F oven.
    The tenderloin should be done in about 25 minutes.
    Turn the roast once or twice. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside to rest.

Place skillet over medium high heat and add a cup of chicken broth and a teaspoon or two of Dijon mustard. Mix a teaspoon of cornstarch with a little broth or water and stir into sauce. (Optional: Squeeze of fresh lemon juice) Simmer for a few minutes.
    Slice the pork tenderloin and plate, spooning a little of the mustard sauce over each piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork Tenderloin

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is why I love this place........good times and bad.

Toby, that recipe sounds awesome but no fresh herbs but it is definitely going to be on my list. Everything that I love.

Ruthanna, the Teryaki style would please himself very much especially with a side of rice which I don;t care for but he loves....a contender!

John... I would love that dish...love it! But the resident culinary " wimp" would not be happy.

Hey Big Guy...the Maple Syrup doesn't do it for me BUT Weed;s dijon and cream could be it! I love all of Weed's recipes.

Darch.......if I had thought of that earlier a Tex/Mex dish could have been in the mix but I'm way to lazy to get the smoker going in this rain.

Ann that does look and sound yummmy...and better yet way easy.

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Do you have the stuff for Weed's pork tenderloin? I can go grab the recipe if you need it. Oh, and I miss Weed a lot!
    Alexa

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

It's probably too late, but here are a couple of options to consider.

Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

Posted by cookingrvc (Sue)

2 pork tenderloins
    1 c fresh spinach, rinsed & drained
    1 c grated Jarlsberg cheese you could sub another cheese
    1/3 c grated parmesan
    2 tsp garlic powder
    Salt & pepper
    2 c white wine or chicken stock
    2 T flour
    2 T cold water
    Chicken stock

Preheat oven to 400F
    Butterfly each tenderloin and carefully pound to even thickness. Place on work surface, overlapping the long sides by about an inch. Layer the spinach leaves, jarlsberg & parmesan on top of the meat. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt & pepper. roll tightly and tie off at 1-1/ 2 inch intervals. Place in roasting pan and add 2 cups of wine or chicken stock.

Roast uncovered 1-1/2 hours or until internal temp reaches 160F. Remove from oven, transfer to a cutting board and loosely tent with foil, let sit for 15 minutes.
    Drain liquids into saucepan and reduce over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Make a slurry of flour and water, then slowly whisk into saucepan to make gravy.

Maple-Chili Glazed Pork Medallions

1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
    1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick medallions
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    1/4 cup apple cider
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1 teaspoon cider vinegar

1. Mix chili powder, salt and ground chipotle in a small bowl. Sprinkle over both sides of pork.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Add cider, syrup and vinegar to the pan. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, turning the pork occasionally to coat, until the sauce is reduced to a thick glaze, 1 to 3 minutes. Serve the pork drizzled with the glaze.

Pork Tenderloin With Bourbon Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
    * 1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon
    * 1/4 cup light soy sauce
    * 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    * 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
    * 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, or 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
    * 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    * 1/4 cup vegetable oil
    * dash hot sauce
    * 2 pork tenderloins, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds

PREPARATION:
    In blender or food processor, combine bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, mustard, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and oil; pulse until smooth. Place tenderloin and marinade in a food storage bag; refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. Cook 4 inches from a hot charcoal fire for 15 to 25 minutes or until the pork has reached 165° internally and is no longer pink in the center. Baste occasionally while cooking. Slice in 1/2-inch thick slices to serve.
    Serves 6.

Posted by Sharoncb
    Source: Diana Rattray,Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.
    Sharon’s Notes: When I made this I did only one tenderloin for the two of us, cutting it in half. We don't get light soy sauce here so I used the regular. Also we don't have a grill so I cooked it in a low casserole dish on the top rack of my toaster oven, 30 minutes at 200C (about 400F), turning once and basting twice. I had only one hour time to marinate but the flavour was perfect !

Linda

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Here's Weed's recipe if you are interested....

Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Cream (weed)
    Serves: 2
    Prep time: 15 min
    Cook time: 15 min or less
    1# pork tenderloin, cut into 2" slices
    Seasoned flour
    2 Tbl. butter, divided
    2 tsp. canola or olive oil
    2 green onions, sliced (coin shape), white and green parts separated
    1/3 cup white wine or dry vermouth
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 tsp. Dijon mustard (or more to taste)
    salt and pepper to taste
    Preheat oven to low, about 170 degrees.
    Lightly pound pork medallions to 1" thick.
    Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tsp. oil over medium high heat.
    Dredge pork in seasoned flour. Add all at once to pan and saute 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and hold in the oven while finishing the sauce. (pork will be a bit underdone but will finish in the oven.)
    Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to pan.
    Add white part of onion, saute for 1 minute.
    Add wine or vermouth, simmer until syrupy and reduced to about 3 tablespoons.
    Add cream, simmer 2 - 3 minutes until thickened.*
    Stir in Dijon, add salt and pepper to taste.
    Return pork to pan to coat with sauce. Serve over rice or pasta, garnishing with the green part of the onion.
    *If sauce ends up too thick for your liking, add a little water or milk, but no more than 1/4 cup.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alexa, have the recipe but not the cream :(

I love Wendy's recipes , they are some of my favourite. I had the good fortune to meet her, and many others, when we did our Rte 66 trip a few years back...she is a very special lady and I really miss her.

In the spirit of sharing recipes here is Weed's Pork Tenderloin with Dijon Cream recipe

Pork Tenderloin With Dijon Cream (From Weed)

Servings

1 # pork tenderloin, cut into 2" slices

Seasoned flour

2 Tbl butter, divided

2 Tsp canola or olive oil

Sauce:

2 green onions, sliced (coin shape), white and green par

1/3 Cup white wine or dry vermouth

1/2 Cup heavy cream

1 Tsp Dijon mustard (or more to taste)

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to low, about 170 degrees.

Lightly pound pork medallions to 1"

-thick.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tsp. oil over medium high heat.

Dredge pork in seasoned flour. Add all at once to pan and saute 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and hold in the oven while finishing the sauce. (pork will be a bit underdone but will finish in the oven, should still be pink inside.)

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to pan.

Add white part of onion, saute for 1 minute.

Add wine or vermouth, simmer until syrupy and reduced to about 3 tablespoons.

Add cream, simmer 2 - 3 minutes until thickened.*

Stir in Dijon, add salt and pepper to taste.

Return pork to pan to coat with sauce. Serve over rice or pasta, garnishing with the green part of the onion.

*If sauce ends up too thick for your liking, add a little water or milk, but no more than 1/4 cup.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My bad for not reporting back earlier.

Given what I had on hand and accounting for the resident "wimps" palate I made a teriyaki-style pork as suggested by Ruthanna. Served with rice and snow peas...simple but good.

I was so happy to see so many recipes posted....some I had , some were new...and that's a good thing!

Thanks everyone

• angelaid
    11 years ago

Another Weed fan! Been using the dijon cream recipe for 10 years or more, since she posted it.