SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Another bread failure - flying saucer bread!

lpinkmountain
12 years ago

I can't seem to make a free form loaf of bread to save my life! I'm trying to adapt some of my favorite bread machine recipes to baking outside the machine because I don't like the hole the paddle makes. I've made this bread several times before and baked it in the machine--we love the taste and texture. It raises up great in the machine. But today when I tried to make it as a free form loaf it was a spectacular failure, just like it always is with me and these breads! Oh, and it looks streaked inside but that's just the lighting.

I did the dough in the machine but took it out for the final rise. The dough was VERY wet and sticky, a lot stuck to my hands, and I wondered if I should have kneaded in more flour when I was shaping it. I kneaded it into thirds twice, and then shaped it just like they show in all the artisan bread videos online, and put it into a round casserole to bake. Like I said, it was sticking to everything. It looked OK for a minute or two in the casserole, but just like always for me, the bread did not hold its shape, it just relaxed into the bowl. It flattened out and never rose more than it did, so I finally had to bake it.

It tastes good and has a good crust, but the indside is not chewy at all, it's just soft and fluffy.

Here's the recipe

Multigrain bread (makes a 1 lb. loaf)

3/4 cup plus 2 TBLSP of water

1 TBLSP butter, softened

1 cup unbleached white bread flour

3/4 cup whole wheat bread flour

2/3 cup 7 grain cereal, softened with some of the water

2 TBLSP packed brown sugar

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. bread machine yeast

Comments (18)