Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trouble-shooting my food saver

Posted by sleevendog (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 13:57

I saved it a few years ago by putting in new gaskets. While at it i ordered two sets, fairly cheap. So it is not the gaskets.
It will do the beginnings of drawing air but will not switch to the 'seal' mode on its own...i hit 'seal' and get an ok seal but it does start to draw some air before that activates. Hmm.
It is the older flat model. Fortunately Costco has the same model now or similar. I bought a new one out of sheer need. Just 50$ and came with many bags so i did not blink. The old one could be useful at another home if i can get it back to working order. (rather than packing an entire kitchen of gack like i normally do) . Hate to toss it if fixable.
Cleaned intake the ports. I've been careful about freezing liquids first...
I suppose i should take it apart and search for a gunk clog?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trouble-shooting my food saver

You might be loading the bags in wrong, perhaps upside down. I have had the same problem when I try to cut the bags on the side and make a narrower bag, and so inserting them sideways will not make an air-tight seal.

Are you having the same problem with new bags? I reuse my bags a lot, but there seems to be a limit on how often they can be used.

Lars

o

I do re-use some bags with dry goods...nuts and such. Have washed a few. It is, i'm guessing, 8yrs old now. Did have a work-out and well used.
New one is a dream, like the ol' days.
Just content for now that i did not need to buy a new model with all the bells, and higher cost.

o

If you lift the lid, is there a switch for sealing time? Could that have been changed? I had an older model that had that feature, but not sure if it's the problem, just something to consider or try. -Grainlady

o

I've got it on my workbench soon to be dissected. Certainly worth a look.

o

No luck. Looks brand new inside. All hoses clean and clear. I do see another small tiny disc rubber gasket. Hmmm.
Maybe i can get a service person on the phone. They always say, "we don't recommend you take our appliances apart", but i've fixed many things without sending in or service...fixed my fridge.

o

I rewired mine so that I can seal or vacuum the way I like.

Take a picture, may be I can suggest something.

dcarch

o

I rewired mine so that I can seal or vacuum the way I like.

Take a picture, may be I can suggest something.

dcarch

o

Good idea, thanks. Will do.
Started to take apart a couple roomba's, fixed a few times in the past...the gears tend to slip.
Pushed both projects aside to transplant 200 tomato babies, 50+ varieties and i only have room for about 45....i have a hard time killin'. (nuts)
(I always think i'll get some tragic death unknown, so start waay too many.)

o

A wide view pic.

o

I suggest that you connect the red string to the doohickey then unscrew the whatchamacallit on the bottom right then screw it back in place, kind of like rebooting.

What do you think DC?

LOL

o

haha! I'll doohickey. And make a martini....no vodka in the house, darn.
If i press down very hard it seals ok. I can live with that in the vacation home so i have not the need to send to the trash. ; )
(I'll still bug the service guys on the phone for a hint.)

o

If it just takes pressing down very hard to work right, it just might need having the contacts cleaned.

(I'm loving the picture and having fun identifying bits in it. :) )

o

"---What do you think DC?"

LMAO :-)

Anyway. I am guessing based on what I think the parts are.It is possible that the vacuum pressure sensor is not functioning properly. I don't know if it can be cleaned or replaced.

foodsaver photo Msgdc_zpsed0f9a7e.jpg

dcarch

o

"vacuum pressure sensor is not functioning properly."

Agree with that. I will study further your generous details...sober

"(I'm loving the picture and having fun identifying bits in it. :) )"

...i did tuck in the spent bullet shells and the monkey skull

o

I also have to press down on mine to get it to seal. It was after only a couple of uses that it stopped sealing properly.

o

Fixed.
Though more dumb and dumber. I was convinced it was a communication issue, a relay.
Studied hoses and located what does what when 'inhaling' air, yada yada. Do-hickeys and hickey-do.
Not that complicated.
Always try the easy first things first.
Thought i did with new gaskets. So i soaked them in clean water for a few hours. They will swell a bit. Being new they did not have crud or any food remains.
(the issue that most have with failure....dirty or old gaskets. Or gaskets that have a kink...
(always store your food saver un-locked. No un-needed pressure on the gaskets)

Wash and wipe with a wet cloth and a bit of gentle soap before it rests and after using.

Gently remove your upper and lower gaskets. If they are toast and old they will break apart and you need new ones. Soak in water if they come out easily in two pieces.

When filling with juicy or wet foods, fold the bag back on itself...also makes it stiff and easier to fill and keeps the top clean. Really wet sauces, un-fold and clip with a clamp, (or clothes pin) and freeze first before zipping with the saver.

My new gaskets should have sealed fine but obviously not a good 'production run'. Wet and swollen they work just like new. All 'communication', do-hickeys, work like a charm.

It does solve the issue but clearly i need yet another set of new gaskets.

Here is a link that might be useful: me sunday, haha

o

duplicate (?) weird

This post was edited by sleevendog on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 13:23

o

Congratulations!!

Boo Hiss to the bad new gaskets.

Thanks for the gasket care instructions. I don't use my food saver a lot, but it's invaluable when I do, and while I have an Omnigrid mat of a similar vintage, it knows a lot more about threads and swatches than hickey-dos, so the gasket stuff is all new to me.

Duplicate sometimes happens when you accidentally double click, or think the click didn't take and click again. Or something farther down the line from user input burps. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here