SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

How to make a cake less crumbly

hhireno
13 years ago

Hello Cooking Forum,

I don't think I've ever posted here, I'm usually over in Home Decor, but I do read the posts.

I have a white cake recipe that my family loves & requests for every possible occasion. It is delicious but also very crumbly when it comes out of the pan. Even when I make it as cupcakes, with cupcakes papers, it can be crumbly removing them. I do grease the top of the muffin pan with the butter wrapper.

I was wondering if I don't grease & flour the pans sufficiently or if there is something else I should/could do to avoid this. I do grease the bottom of the pan, line it with parchment paper, and grease & flour that. Maybe I'm not treated the sides enough? or too much?

Maybe the recipe is the culprit? I'll reprint it here as it was originally given to me.

Mix together: 2 cups flour, 1.5 cups sugar, 1/2 c crisco, 1 tsp salt, 2/3 c milk.

Stir in: 3 tsp baking powder, 2 eggs, 1/3 c milk, and 1 tsp vanilla.

I use butter but have also tried it with crisco and both get very crumbly. I bake it in a convection oven.

Any advice on how to get it out of the pan with fewer crumbly edges? Once frosted it's okay, and it is so loved I could serve it as a pile of crumbs with Red Velvet Icing as the dipping sauce and it would be gone in no time.

Thanks for your help,

Jean

Comments (17)