Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ham in the Crock Pot?

Posted by sameboat (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 13:37

Do you think I could cook the spiral ham in a crock pot? It's already cooked, just needs to be hot for dinner. I was thinking it wouldn't heat up the house, and it wouldn't dry out. It comes with the packet of sauce for over, and I have a can of pineapple slices. Then I can use the oven for potato casserole.

What do you all think? I am trying to make it as easy as possible for myself tomorrow. I have a whole house to clean today and quiche to make, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ham in the Crock Pot?

I did that one year. Works fine. I needed the oven for other things at Thanksgiving.

o

Yay! Thank you - I'm doing it!

o

I don't like ham in a crock pot....never cooked one that way but have eaten it....over cooked and baconey.
Why can't you use the oven for potatoes
And the ham?

o

I just heated it through, it didn't spend a lot of time in the crock pot. I timed it to serve promptly.

o

Ok...I was thinking 6 hours....

o

I'll let you know....
Mine is in there now. However, it's not a spiral, it's a picnic from the half hog we bought. I made my own wide slices across it.

I used a "packet" glaze left over from some other ham where I didn't need it.
I put just a dribble of water in the bottom of the crockpot, placed the ham in, drizzled the glaze over it working into the slices. I've basted with the juices a couple of times.

I put it in at noon, we're eating at 6pm tonight! It's been on low the whole time.
It looks (and SMELLS) great right now (4pm).

I'll be roasting sweet potatoes in the oven and boiling asparagus on the stove top. Rolls are made, bean salad is made, eggs are deviled. Table is set.

Yup, I'm as ready as I can be for now! There's only going to 5 of us, and very casual, but still...........I hate remembering something at the last minute that throws my rythym off at final prep time!

Happy Easter All.

Deanna

o

I've done mine in the crockpot too. A fully cooked spiral sliced ham would only get a couple of hours because you only need to heat it through, it doesn't need to be cooked more. An especially big one would need more time, of course.

I've cooked my homegrown hams for 6 hours in the crockpot and they are nicely moist and tender. 8 hours is too long, it doesn't dry out but it falls apart.

Annie

o

I have seen a couple of recipes on allrecipes.com for doing this also. I think its a great idea. Time and oven saving for you.

Kate

o

OK, update!! Mine was in for almost exactly 6 hours and it was a little too long. Next time I would only do 3-4 hours. It did dry out a little.
Still, it was very good and nobody complained! LOL

I think part of the problem is how hot these newer crockpots cook...even on Low.

Good luck and let us know how yours turns out!

Happy Easter everyone,
Deanna

o

When I did it I just left it long enough to warm completely through and take on the flavor of the glaze which was a mix of honey, orange juice and zest, and dijon. I might have added some brown sugar, do not recall. (I wing these things.) It was not a spiral cut ham but a smallish uncut boneless ham. I have an old crock pot. It was maybe 2-3 hours on high.

o

Well it turns out as large as my crock pot is, it wasn't big enough for the ham to fit in it! So I ended up doing it in the oven. I cooked the potato casserole and quiches last night, and then just popped them onto the bottom shelf during the last 40 minutes of the ham cooking. It was fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here