Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe Question

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 13:28

Hi everyone,

Just found this recipe online for Oven Baked Pork Chops And Hash Browns. I have one question about it. It calls for 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 can French fried onions. Mom doesn't care for either of those. Can we substitue mayonnaise for the sour cream and chopped onion for the fried onions?

Here's the recipe (I know the protocol LOL)

Oven Baked Pork Chops And Hashbrowns

6 pork chops
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 can (Durkee) fried onions
24 oz. package hashbrowns, thawed
Season salt
Pepper

Brown chops; season to taste. Combine soup, milk, and sour cream with 1/2 teaspoon season salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add hashbrowns. Spoon into 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle on half the cheese and onions. Top with pork chops. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and onions. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe Question

I would probably just use the sour cream. There isn't much in the recipe. The sour cream will be incorporated into the sauce mixed w/other flavors and not a separate finishing garnish. Of course that would be my solution because I don't like mayonnaise. The fried onions would be dry and the chopped ones wet. Maybe if you sauteed them to remove some of the water. You might want to mix some breadcrumbs into the top layer for crispness.

o

Just use regular cream instead of the sour cream.....mayonnaise would make it too oily.
The fried onions are only there for a crunchy topping. You could substitute chow mein fried noodles, or croutons or even cornflakes.
Linda C

o

Does she like the unflavored yogurt? I don't see why you couldn't sub that or I think I'd just leave it out, I really wouldn't think you could taste the sour cream though. As far as a topping, how about some crushed up potato chips? Dried bread crumbs maybe?

o

Thank you, everyone for your input!

Mom does not like sour cream, yogurt, or cream cheese one bit. She was just thinking of leaving it out. She loves the idea of subbing the croutons for the fried onions!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I don't think she will taste the sour cream in the casserole. My Dad doesn't like sour cream but I use it all the time mixed into things and he doesn't know it's there.
As far as topping, I would use some kind of crushed chip: potato chip, frito, etc. Something crunchy.
That recipe gets goods reviews, I hope you enjoy it!

o

The sauce will be a bit thick without something for the sour cream....plain cream will be fine.

o

But plain cream is expensive compared to sour cream which is why I still say use the sour cream. It will be undetectable.

o

Or use buttermilk, if you have some on hand, or just enough milk to make it a bit more moist.

Cream is lovely, but I never had any on hand and it IS expensive. I'd just use a bit of milk, and I also like the idea of croutons on top instead of those fried onions, which I don't care for either. Croutons or toasted bread crumbs for crunch.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here