SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Ideas for lemoncurd and strawberry cake

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

I have leftover lemon curd languishing in the fridge, and it occured to me today that I could make a cake as a going away gift for one of my co-workers. I also have strawberry preserves. Single-me is not a cake baker. I am inspired by Sherry's layered cake but I have a tiny kitchen and limited utensils and time, so I'm looking to make something a little less elaborate.

I have only one 9-inch cake pan and can't afford to get another one. I think a round cake is out anyway, won't feed enough for the whole office gang. I have an 11x13 inch rectangular cake pan, an angel food cake pan, muffin tins for 12 cupcakes, and a bundt pan. I also have five pie pans, which is kinda weird since I can't make pie to save my life (but I do love EATING pie, so maybe that explains it).

Here are my questions. Can I put the filling in ahead of time and bake it? Like drizzle the middle of a bundt cake with lemon curd and strawberry preserves and then bake it? Same with a sheet cake or cupcakes? Another option would be to make the sheet cake or make the cake in an angel food cake pan and then slice the finished cake into three sections and put the filling in the middle. That is more elaborate than I would like, but I could try it. I've never tried a regular cake in an angel food cake pan. I could use the bundt pan, but slicing up a bundt cake sounds like a recipe for disaster with my kitchen clumsiness.

Also what kind of cake? What I would most like to do is buy a yellow pudding cake mix. I guess I could make a pound cake but that seems a little too rich but I could be wrong, it could be just the ticket. Or maybe a lemon cake? I don't have cake flour or anything like that, just AP flour, so really something bought and doctored will be best for me.

And the frosting? Buttercream seems to heavy for this kind of cake, but I have never made any other kind. If it was a bundt cake with the filling baked in, I could dust it with powdered sugar, which sounds good to me, and then serve topped with whipped cream. Or is there a whipped cream kind of frosting or something with egg whites?

Advice welcomed, but the simpler the better if there is going to be any possibility of me following through with this. I have the flu now and may not be able to pull anything off unless I get better. But I do want to make this cake sometime soon or the lemon curd is going to go bad on me! My main goal is to make some kind of cake and use up the lemon curd with it.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus