Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cream of coconut

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 13:20

Had a sort of a yen for coconut....on an impulse a can of cream of coconut jumped into my cart.
So....what can I do with it....besides mix it with rum and pineapple juice...?
Linda c

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cream of coconut

Is there a website link on the can? If so, I bet you will find some recipes there. -Grainlady

o

I'd make this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai chicken

o

Could you make a custard with coconut cream, real cream, sugar and eggs?...And perhaps some cornstarch?

o

You can definitely make a custard with coconut cream in place of the milk. I do not add cornstarch, but I usually do add a bit of unflavored gelatin. I have found that even when I use intense coconut, I still like a little bit of vanilla in the custard. You can omit the gelatin and cornstarch and freeze it into ice cream, which is what I did last month. I forgot to add the vanilla, however, and it did need it.

You can also use it in making macaroons, but you still need the flaked coconut.

Lars

o

I like to simmer carrots in cream of coconut. They come out delicious! I served these for Easter Dinner. :-)

Now I have a question! I picked up a jar of Coconut Oil from Trader Joe's. Can I turn this into Cream of Coconut???

o

Lars....I need the recipe for macaroons.

o

Here's the macaroon recipe I started with:

Triple-Cocount Macaroons
Makes: about 2-3 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
1 c. cream of coconut
2 T. light corn syrup
4 large egg whites
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
3 c. (8oz) unsweetened, shredded, dried coconut
3 c (8oz) sweetened flaked or shredded coconut
good semi-sweet chocolate, for dipping

1) Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle and preheat oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment and lightly grease.

2) Whisk together cream of coconut, corn syrup, egg whites, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl; set aside. Combine the unsweetened and sweetened coconut in small bowl; toss together, breaking up clumps. Pour liquid into coconut and mix with a rubber spatula until coated. Chill for 15 minutes.

3) Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto parchment (or shape them into pyramids with your fingers). Bake until light golden brown, about 15 minutes, rotating racks.

4) Cool cookies until slightly set, remove to wire rack.

5) Dip bottoms in chocolate; refrigerate until set.

---------------------

I revised that recipe to this:

Macaroons

1 can coconut milk + 1/3 c. sugar OR 1 can cream of coconut
5 c. sweetened flaked coconut
3 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla
Reduce the coconut milk & sugar in a saucepan, until it is thick like sweetened condensed milk.

Mix all ingredients, drop by teaspoonful onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, bake at 325F until lightly browned and let cool before disturbing.

Lars

o

YUM!!
Thanks!!!!

o

My best coconut cake ever was a recipe from the Cooks Illustrated site that used cream of coconut instead of coconut milk.

o

"can of cream of coconut....what can I do with it"

Use as an ingredient in some variation of a blended pudding mix for frozen pops.

o

Oooh!!coconut-chocolate pudding shots!!!
Brandy or rum??

o

Rum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here