Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Times and temps for baking quiche?

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 13:20

Lately I have been on a quiche kick - have made 3 in less than 2 weeks. Hey! I had company to help eat them!

One recipe that I use often has you baking the quiche(in a pastry shell) at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes then down to 325 for 30 minutes. This works fine for this recipe. But I'm finding quiche baking temperatures all over the map for other recipes: 450 for 15 min. then 35 min. at 300; 375 F for the entire time; 350 for the entire time (which I probably would not do); bake the shell only at 450 for 5 minutes and then bake the quiche at a lower temp for longer, which I would not be inclined to do since it involves an extra step and letting the pastry cool, turning down the oven, etc.

If anyone can offer an opinion about baking temps and times for quiche in a pastry shell, I would appreciate it. What works for you to have a somehwhat flaky crust and a completely cooked filling?

Teresa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Times and temps for baking quiche?

I do the 425 for 10 minutes and then turn it down to 350....but I have also just baked it (or them) at 375 until set if I will be too busy to turn the oven down.
Really doesn't matter much....just get the inside set before the crust gets too brown on the edges....a lower temp will make for a smoother custard....but if you have lots of bacon crumbles and crab bits and mushrooms and stuff....who's to know?
Linda C

o

My favorite calls for the crust to be blind baked at 375 and then the quiche finished at that temperature. It works for me.

Annie

o

My feeling about all these recipes that call for turning down a hot oven is that they're based on old fashioned home ovens that notoriously weren't to temperature when the pre-heat light went out. Starting with a hotter oven meant that the whole oven was actually the desired heat, rather than just the area around the sensor.

Eggs like an even temperature environment and a bit of warmth.

My advice is to use a true 375 (i.e., use a new high end oven, preheat for a long time, or heat high and turn it down before you put the quiche in), for 25-30 minutes. Ten minutes longer if you have a high water content either from your filling, or from using milk instead of cream.

Most people don't bake the shell separately for quiche. You can if you want color or snap to your crust. And you might need to do so for flakiness. Flakiness also comes from the least wet (heavy cream, totally cooked to dry vegetables, etc.) ingredients you can get, and lots of layers of shortening rolled into the crust.

For doneness you can check by touching the middle. It should be firm and springy, and not release water or steam. Using a toothpick or skewer, it should resist the puncture and the skewer should pull out clean and not wet.

Good luck!

o

350 for the entire time (which I probably would not do)

Yeah, that's what I do. Baked many a quiche that way and they come out fine. But I'm a pretty simple cook.

Once a long time ago my mother and I were at some kind of home show or something like that and there was this guy doing a cooking demo. I have no idea what he was selling, but he yelled out, FIVE EGGS AND A CUP O' MILK about ten times. That was his recipe for quiche, all the rest being extra I guess. He might have gone into more detail but my mother and I were fairly entertained by his FIVE EGGS AND A CUP O' MILK mantra and I don't really remember much else.

The thing is, if I put FIVE EGGS AND A CUP O' MILK along with shredded cheese and other fillings into a pie shell, I'm fairly certain it would overflow!! I usually do something like three eggs and I eyeball the milk, probably 2/3 to 3/4 cup.

I think quiche is one of those E-Z recipes that it's pretty hard to mess up.

o

May....FIVE EGGS AND A CUP O' MILK would probably overflow my pie plate too! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;o)

My most often used quiche recipes use 3 eggs and an entire cup of heavy cream - but boy, are they good! I brush the crust with Dijon mustard before adding in the cheese, chicken, almonds, etc.

Last night I cleaned out the freezer: frozen broccoli (from when fresh was on sale), frozen red/yellow/green bell peppers, fresh onion sliced very thin with Swiss and mozzarella cheese, eggs, cream, s&p and a splash of hot sauce all put in a pie shell and baked - turned out really good. I forget how easy and delicious quiche can be.

o

Unlike everyone else, I bake mine at 325...so it takes longer...eggs do better at a lower temperature, I have found.

o

The thinking behind the recommendation of starting a quiche at 425 is to cook the crust fairly quickly so it doesn't "sog out"...my scientific term for that limp crust situation you so often find in a quiche! LOL!
Also when you open an oven even for the short time it takes to put in a quiche, the temperature drops considerably and it takes several minutes to return to the set temp....so when you pre heat the oven to 425....open it and put in the quiche....it cools way down and takes 6 or 7 minutes to return to the preset temp....and then in 5 or6 or so more minutes you turn down the temperature. True....eggs like to be cooked gently, but I will guarantee that they are not very hot before you turn the oven down....and I try to remember that a pastry crust likes to be cooked hot.
My standard quiche recipe is....a crust....full of "stuff"...grated cheese, slightly cooked veggies, shrimp, crab, bacon, bits of pepperon8i, sun dried tomatoes, olives....whatever....then I pour over it a mix of 4 eggs to a cup of milk....not as eggy as Mae's....and some times that milk is half cream....or even all cream!
And for a crab mushroom or seafood quiche....my secret ingredient is a splash of dry sherry.
Linda c

o

Yeah, Marigene, come to think of it, I'd never do 375 in my brand new, accurate oven. Take it down even more for convection. I think I learned that temperature from Julia Child (having learned quiche from Mastering), but the old baking oven was probably 25 "slow".

o

Total amateurs.

your all way way off and also have no conception even.
If your clueless why comment? Do others need to make your average at best quiche?

I have been catering quiche for 35 years. Listen up.

For those of you who care to eat great food the crust must be cooked first!!! Do not do it any other way!! Their are numerous very good reasons for doing this! You will cook your quiche at 225. Not a degree more! Anyone who gives a time is silly, I make pie tin quiche, mini quiche, muffin tin quiche, texas muffin tin quiche. You have to figure out the timing for how much your using and how thick the mixture is and what it is. Use cream not milk. A hint of cayenne, plenty of pepper, and a little salt is a must. Sautee your toppings in real butter and oil very lightly.
My quiche will be moist with perfect texture, a flaky delicious crust, and amazing bursting taste. Your not making eggs people you are making quiche.
Or do none of this if your ok with eating average quiche, or worse serving it to guests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here