Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is creamed cottage cheese? Gellchom?

Posted by nigel-bigel (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 13:05

I am making gellchom's recipe for Nana's Kugel, and it calls for creamed cottage cheese. What is this? Cottage cheese put in the food processor?

Also, the recipe calls for "1/2 small creamed cottage cheese". Does any one have a guess as to half a *what*?

Thanks! Nicole

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is creamed cottage cheese? Gellchom?

Creamed cottage is cottage cheese that has had cream added....like one normally finds. This is different from dry curd cottage cheese which has no cream added and is dry and crumbly.
Linda C

o

Cottage cheese generally comes in two sizes: large is a 32 oz. tub, while the smaller size or regular size is an 16 oz. tub. Smaller sizes are generally considered single servings. My guess is that half of a small container would be 8 oz. or 1 cup.

o

Thank you both!

Nicole

o

Oh, I'm so sorry, I somehow didn't see this post until now.

LindaC was right about the "creamed" cottage cheese. The regular kind, as opposed to the dry kind (farmer's or pot cheese, I think it's often called).

And Shambo was right about the size of the container. Anyway, that's the size I use (16 oz.). But I was never completely positive, either, so I just gave you the recipe the way Nana wrote it out for me!

How did it come out? I haven't made it in ages. You've inspired me and I might make it this week.

o

Don't know how Nana makes her kugle....but reading this makes me hungry for my kugle...with pineapple, cottage cheese, cream cheese sour cream and pineapple...very yummy!

o

Well, it was a while ago but as I remember it, it wasn't a huge hit. I'm so sorry to say that. I wasn't bad, it was just eh. Except for DD16, I remember she liked it a lot and ate all the leftovers over the next few days.

It just didn't have much flavor. I have only had kugel a few times and many years ago, so maybe my expectations were wrong. Or, maybe I did it wrong...

Nicole

o

Try this kugle recipe
Noodle kugle, serves 20 as a side bake in a 9 by 13 glass dish.
1 pound noodles, cooked (cook lightly so they don't get gluey)
1 20 oz can pineapple, drained (save the juice)
1 carton cottage cheese 16 oz
2 beaten eggs beaten with
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
If the cheese sour cream mix doesn't seem creamy enough, add a little of the saved pineapple juice.
Mix all and top with cornflake crumbs and sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar and drizzle with 1/2 stick of melted butter. bake 350 for 45 minutes.

Yeah! I know....I didn't say it was low cal....just good!!

o

Sorry they didn't like it, nigel-bigel. A lot of people expect noodle kugels to be sweet. Our Litvak family likes salty, not sweet. So I wondered how people would like it when, for the kiddush lunch after our son's bar mitzvah many years ago, we asked the cooks to use our recipe instead of the very sweet recipe our synagogue (originally called the Hungarian Synagogue!) uses. People did seem to like it a lot, though. Although come to think of it, the recipe I got the most requests for (so many we had to publish it in the synagogue newsletter, in fact!) was for a very sweet baked pineapple dish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here