Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me find my old recipe for Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Posted by compumom (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 12:53

Somehow, somewhere there was a recipe that I had found on the web for cottage cheese pancakes. They were low carb and definitely contained wheat germ, which I omitted and subbed in flour.
I know that I posted that recipe here, at least once, and made it at home successfully a few times. It seems that I must have worked from a printout and forgotten to save it on my database. Now it's lost.

I've tried to recall the recipe--
1 cup cottage cheese (?)
2 Tblsp wheat germ
vanilla
egg (how many?)
baking powder?
sweetener ( or sugar)
They were simple, high protein and more importantly, DH liked them. This morning I made a disasterous batch using 2 eggs and a quarter cup of flour. They were too much about the melted cheese with no fluffiness.
Can you help find my post from at least a year ago? I've been unsuccessful in researching it. There are other cottage cheese/low carb recipes on the net, however I haven't seen this one amongst them.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me find my old recipe for Cottage Cheese Pancakes

We make them for Hannukah and call them cottage cheese latkes

Ingredients
2/3 cup cottage cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 teaspoons sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
ground cinnamon, for dusting
Directions
In a blender, combine all ingredients, except applesauce and cinnamon.
Blend until smooth.
Pour mixture onto a nonstick skillet, making 8 pancakes.
Turn pancakes when edges appear dry.
Brown lightly on both sides.
To serve, place pancakes on serving plates.
Divide applesauce among pancakes on top.
Sprinkle with cinnamon.

o

Are you sure it was Cottage Cheese and not Ricotta? This has been a forum favorite for years.....

Alexa

LEMON RICOTTA PANCAKES
serves 4
These pancakes, also adapted from Brunch: 100 Recipes, are the lightest pancakes you can imagine
Ingredients
2 cups ricotta (about 1 pound)
4 large eggs, separated
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Pinch of salt
Dash of pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus additional butter as necessary to cook the pancakes
Maple syrup, warmed
1. Set an overproof platter or a baking sheet with a cooling rack on top of it into the oven and turn oven to 200 degrees.
2. Beat the ricotta and egg yolks together in a large mixing bowl with the lemon zest, salt, vanilla, and sugar. Stir in the flour and 7 tablespoons of the melted butter, working the batter just until homogenous and smooth.
3. Whip the egg whites with a whisk or handheld mixer until they hold a stiff peak. With a rubber spatula, gingerly fold half of the whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining half. Don't worry if the resulting batter is lightly striped with whipped whites-they keep the pancakes light and airy.
4. Heat a largecast-iron or nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-low heat for a minute or 2, then grease the pan with a teaspoon or more of the remaining butter. When the butter starts to sizzle, turn the heat up a touch and ladle in 3 ½-to 4-inch pancakes.
5. After a couple of minutes, when the bottoms of the pancakes are somewhere between mottled and uniformly brown, flip them and cook another 2 minutes on the second side. Transfer finished pancakes to the platter in the oven and repeat with the remaining batter.
6. Serve the pancakes on plates with warmed maple syrup on the side.

o

Could it be this one? There's no egg, however, and no vanilla (guess you could add some, anyway). I found it at Cooks.com.

Sue

WHEAT GERM PANCAKES

1 c. white flour
2 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. wheat germ, toasted with honey
1 1/4 c. skim milk
2 tbsp. oil
1/2 c. low fat cottage cheese

Sift together flour, baking powder and sugar. Add wheat germ. Combine the milk and oil and stir into the dry ingredients until just moistened. Stir in cottage cheese only until mixed, mixture will be slightly lumpy. (If a smooth batter is desired, whip the cottage cheese with liquid ingredients in blender.) Drop batter by spoonfuls onto a greased griddle. Cook until bubbles appear on upper surface, then turn and brown other side. Turn only once. Continue until all batter is used.

o

Here's the one I saved, from Chubby Hubby.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Cheese pancakes

o

Ellen, this one has no wheat germ, I got the recipe while Elery was on that 17 Day Diet From He!!. It was the single food like substance allowed on the diet that I could even stand by the time we were done with that. That might not sound like a ringing endorsement but they actually are not bad. They are very tender and you have to be careful when flipping them or they will tear and they are gluten free.

Cottage Cheese Pancakes

2 serving

3 eggs
1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3pkgs Splenda (I think this is not necessary, I leave it out)

Beat eggs for one minute with an electric mixer, until they are light and fluffy. Add remaining ingredients and beat until combined.

Cook on a griddle until browned and done. This is a very thin batter, so 1/4 cup makes a good sized pancake. they are also "sticky" because there is no fat. I spray the nonsick griddle AND the spatula with cooking spray.

These are also good as a replacement for injera bread, and savory if you replace the spices with herbs. Chives are nice.

Annie

o

Cooks.com has several recipes for Cottage Cheese Pancakes, maybe one will look right to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooks.com

o

Keep 'em coming, I don't see "the" one yet, but there are some interesting recipes for sure. They aren't for me, but for DH, so flour is allowed.
Alexa, those sound delish and I have made another version of the same, I'll remember to add ricotta cheese next time as an alternative, but I'm guessing one of my missing ingredients is baking powder. That and some heavy whipping or blending.
Thanks Alexa, Annie, Sooner's Gma, Loves2cook, mom47 and Sue!

o

High Protein Pancakes

1 cup cottage cheese
6 eggs
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Blend all ingredients in a blender for 1 minute.  Pour into smallish rounds on a heated griddle.  

Topping
Combine in a saucepan:
2  corn starch
2 Tblsps sugar
1 cup unsweetened fruit juice

Cook over low heat until thick.  Add fresh or canned fruit to sauce.  Spoon over pancakes.

But, this is our favoite:

Lemon Soufflé Pancakes
Yield 4 to 6 servings.

6 eggs, at room temperature, separated
2 cups small-curd cottage cheese, (not fat free)
1/4 cup canola oil or other high quality vegetable oil
2 Tblsps sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup all-purpose flour

Unsalted butter, at room temperature

1.  In a metal bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer at medium speed until they form peaks that are stiff but not dry when beater is raised.  Set aside.

2. In a food processor or blender, combine the egg yolks, cottage cheese, oil, sugar, salt, lemon juice and zest, baking powder and flour.  Blend until smooth.  Transfer to a bowl and fold in the beaten egg whites.

3. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick griddle or large, heavy skillet over medium high heat.  Using a pastry brush, lightly grease with butter or coat with spray.

4. Working in batches and using about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake, pour the batter onto the hot cooking surface; do not crowd the pancakes.  Cook until the tops are bubbly, about 2 minutes.  Then turn and cook until bottoms are browned, about 1 minute longer.  Serve hot.

o

Thank you all for your suggestions! Today's recipe was a success!
I began with this one from Cooks. com and then tweaked it as stated below:
COTTAGE CHEESE PANCAKES
Printed from COOKS.COM
1 c. cottage cheese
4 eggs
4 tbsp. flour
Dash cinnamon

Put eggs in blender or food processor. Add cottage cheese, flour and cinnamon. Blend until smooth. Drop by 1/4 cup onto a lightly greased hot griddle. When bubbles appear on top, turn and brown lightly. Serve with syrup or canned fruit.

I made the following additions or substitutions.
1/2 tsp (roughly) baking powder
3 eggs and a glop of egg whites
vanilla
1 tsp sugar
4 Tblsp flour (scant)
I tossed all the ingredients in the blender with the blender, sprayed the nonstick skillet with canola spray and cooked. They didn't take much time at all and I served them with Simply Fruit jam. All good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here