SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloudy_christine

Gardenguru's Pollo alla siciliana

cloudy_christine
11 years ago

Joe (Gardenguru) was mentioned on a recent thread on Indian cooking. I was thinking how much we lost when he left the forum.
His chicken recipe is one of my all-time favorites. It's one of those recipes where you read the ingredients and think, oh, I'd just wing something like that, but you really shouldn't. This is a more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts recipe.

Pollo alla Siciliana

(capelli d'angelo in brodetto di pollo alle erbe)

Recipe by Joe Seals (Gardenguru) (a version he posted)
Serves 4

2 boned and skinned chicken breast halves
cut into thin strips (1/4 inch thick, 1/2 inch wide,
1 inch long)
6 Tbs flour
1âÂÂ2 Tbs red pepper flakes [CC: I leave this out, as always]
1 tsp fresh ground pepper salt to taste [optional]
2 Tbs yellow onion sliced thin
6 cloves garlic sliced
2 Tbs butter
4 Tbs olive oil
1âÂÂ4 cup tomatoes seeded, peeled, diced
1âÂÂ2 tsp dried oregano (or a couple of sprigs of fresh)
3 Tbs fresh basil chopped
2 Tbs fresh parsley chopped
12 ounces chicken broth *
8 ounces angel hair pasta *
*another version of this recipe on the forum doubles most quantities but has 12 oz. broth and 12 oz. pasta, but Joe did post this one

Flatten chicken breasts and cut into 1âÂÂ2" by 1" strips. In a plastic storage bag, mix flour, pepper flakes, and ground pepper. Put chicken strips into bag and shake.

Slice onion and garlic. If using fresh tomatoes, peel, seed, and chop. Chop parsley and basil.

When all ingredients are prepared, put water on to boil for the pasta.

Heat 1âÂÂ2 of the butter and olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add 1âÂÂ2 of the chicken strips and brown each side lightly. Remove chicken from skillet with a slotted spoon, add remainder of butter and oil, heat, and add remainder of chicken. Remove when browned.

Add onion to skillet, reduce heat, and sauté until soft. Scrape chicken bits from bottom of skillet. Add garlic and sauté briefly (not brown).

Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, and parsley. Mix thoroughly and heat well. For a thicker "sauce", add a tablespoon or so of the remaining dredging flour at this point.

Add chicken stock and simmer until reduced a little.

Return chicken to skillet, mix thoroughly, and reduce heat to lowest setting.

Add pasta to boiling water.

Put drained pasta onto plates and spoon chicken and sauce onto pasta.

[My note: do not combine capellini with broth in pan; it will soak it all up.]

Comments (23)