SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Barbequeing whole chicken

Lars
11 years ago

I have found plenty of recipes for barbequing cut up chicken, but I want to cook one whole in my new Big Green Egg. It seems appropriate to put a whole chicken in the Egg for its first use.

At first I wanted to cook it Tandoori style, but the recipes said to cut it up, and I want to slow cook this chicken, since I have to start cooking at temps no higher than 350 degrees for the first four times I use the Egg. It takes a while for the ceramic to cure, or something like that. Anyway, once it is cured, it can function as a ceramic oven at temps up to 800 degrees, which would be good for Naan and pizza. Kevin says we are supposed to cook Naan on the roof of the oven, but I think we can use the pizza stone that I bought with it.

I next checked my Sichuan cookbook, and it only had recipes for cut up chicken as well. Unless someone comes up with a better or more interesting idea, I will cook it Algerian style, which I like very much, but I was hoping to use a new recipe. I have a Moroccan recipe for Lemon-Olive Chicken from the book Soul of a New Cuisine, but it uses quite a bit of ginger, which I am not sure I would like. I much prefer Algerian cooking to Moroccan.

What is your favorite way to barbeque a whole chicken? I'll post my Algerian recipe if anyone has not seen it, but it's already been posted a few times.

Lars

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor