Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Microwave baked potato.

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 12:35

I don't like the consistency of my own microwave efforts to "bake" a potato. However, the commercial potatoes, wrapped in some sort of plastic membrane, are acceptable to me. Does anyone know what membrane is used for the commercial micro potatoes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Microwave baked potato.

Sorry, I can't answer your question.
But I can tell you what I have found
That works for me.

When I 'nuke' potatoes,
I scrub them well,
Wrap in a damp paper towel,
Set them in the microwave
on a folded dry paper towel,
Put one of those plate covers over them
And hit the "baked potato" button
On the control panel.
Sometimes I have to add another minute or 2.
I guess it depends on the size and number
of the potatoes.

Not knowing what the consistency
of your baked potatoes is,
I don't know if this method will be
Any better for you,
Or not.

The commercial micro potatoes
I've seen around here
Are always a lot smaller than what I like to bake.
The material on them is most likely
Some type of food grade shrink wrap.
But I have no idea where or how one could purchase it.

Rusty

o

Rusty - do you poke holes in them before you nuke them??

I've never nuked a potato in the shrink wrap although I have bought them packaged that way (lack of better options). I don't trust that the potato was actually washed, and I don't trust plastic in the microwave. So I unwrap them and wash them and then cook them.

I agree with you about the consistency of microwaved potatoes. I think of them more as steamed than baked. My favorite part of the potato is the skin. Maybe you could try a little bit of olive oil rubbed on the skin before cooking it in the microwave. I wonder if that would help crisp it a little?

seagrass

o

I have not used those, seemed gimmicky to me, but I will tell you that the Walmart brand plastic wrap that's called professional strength can be boiled in water without melting at all. So you could try that...btw it's the best plastic wrap EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: great value premium wrap prof strength

o

For just me and hubby, I use the microwave for "baked" potatoes, too. I use a fork and stab the potato (forgot once, and part of one slightly exploded, making a mess), but I don't cover or wrap them. I nuke for about 4 minutes at 50% power, turn them over and repeat. Then I up the power to 60-70% and go 2-3 minutes at a time until they're done (rotating/flipping potatoes each time). The consistency seems a tad bit better (not overdone like sometimes happens for me when I use 100% power).

o

Seagrass, usually there are places where I've cut off eyes
Or other blemishes.
And that is sufficient to eliminate
Chances of them exploding.
But on the rare occasion when the skins are intact,
yes, I poke a couple of holes in them.

I really do like potatoes baked in a 'real' oven best,
But it just doesn't make sense to heat it up
For potatoes for 2 people.
Unless, of course< I have other things that could be done
In the oven at the same time.

Rusty

o

I've used the same method as tracey b with good results. I think I go a little crazy with the hole poking because I'm paranoid about them exploding.

o

I don't understand why or how the commercially wrapped potatoes that say do NOT poke holes escape explosions. However, I have never had a commercially wrapped potato, cooked unpierced as directed, explode.

o

I've read all the replies and it seems no one does it like I do. I scrub and stab and put my potatoes in the microwave until almost finished. Then into the oven to crispy up the skin and finish cooking. Quicker but still tasty.

o

I do what Barb does....but it's not very fuel efficient....but quick and good!
Linda c

o

The older I get, the more I think all I need is a combo microwave/convection/toaster oven and an induction countertop burner...an electric teakettle and an expresso machine.

And a handyman. One who does what I want, works for pay and doesn't live with me LOL.

seagrass

o

As someone who's nuked a lot of potatoes, I've decided poking a lot of tiny holes AND wrapping in a paper towel (which gets damp from the potato being wet after washing) does make a difference, especially in avoiding spots that get "cooked hard again". It also helps if you flip them about halfway through (and spin them so the outside is now inside).

I agree it's not worth turning on the oven for just spuds, and I try to choose them when I'm making other oven foods. But the nuker makes them a quick and economically reasonable option if not. The fork-soft test is good for testing done-ness since they're never the same size.

o

My DH will not eat a nuked potato so I usually buy and bake enough for 2 or 3 meals and do "re-baked potatoes" with the left overs. They even freeze (pre-made) really well.

o

I also have never had a microwaved "baked" potato that I really care for, I've cooked them in the microwave and used them for American Fries, but that's pretty much it.

i've started them in the microwave and finished in the oven, but it's still not optimal.

As a result I bake potatoes in the oven when I'm making something else that requires the oven, I never just bake potatoes in there. However, I put potatoes on the rack of my little 6 quart Nesco roaster and bake them there and they are perfect for me. My 750 watt electric roaster will use (according to my electrician husband) less than 10 cents to bake those potatoes for an hour. I can toss a meatloaf in there with them if I wish but I usually just bake 4 or 5 potatoes and then use the extras for home fries the next day or so. Anyway, my gas oven will costs several times that. Plus, in the summertime I can have baked potatoes and not heat up the kitchen and I can even put the Nesco on the back porch if I wish.

it's a great little appliance and makes great baked potatoes. Put them on the rack, though, it crisps the bottoms better than sitting them directly into the roaster.

Annie

o

i also do exactly as Barb does..... nuke them so they cook faster......2 minutes on each side (turn the potato over) them put it in a hot oven to get a nice crispy skin..when i put them in the over...i first add some oil and salt to the skin, and cook them on a foil sheet

o

I use a microwave paper towel and make sure I am using a Russet potato without punching holes in it (have never had one to explode in the microwave and I have been nuking them this way for years and years). Wash the potato really well, immediately wrap the still wet potato in the microwave paper towel, and put in the microwave at the highest setting, normally for 6 minutes. Once it is done, I cover it in the microwave with a thick potholder and let it sit for a short time, then remove from the micro and put pressure on the sides of the potato (still with the potholder on it), then do the same from the ends. Then fluffy with a fork - we eat the skins, too, and love the potatoes cooked like this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here