Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turnip Souffle Question

Posted by enjoyingspring (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 12:17

For Easter I want to make a Turnip Souffle to take to my daughters.

Can you make it a day in advance and how would you warm it up??

Any T&T Turnip Souffle recipes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turnip Souffle Question

Happy April Fool's Day!

You don't believe you can successfully make souffle in advance, it has to be served immediately or it'll fall.

Here's a recipe from, of all places, Saveur Magazine!

Turnip Souffl�

SERVES 4 � 6

If you don't boil it into oblivion, the humble, dependable turnip may surprise you with its sweet warmth. This recipe is from Clementine Paddleford's classic How America Eats (Scribner, 1960).

3 medium turnips, peeled, trimmed, and diced
4 tbsp. butter
4 tbsp. flour
1⁄3 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp. yellow onion, peeled and minced
Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
4 eggs, separated

1. Preheat oven to 350�. Grease a 6-cup souffl� dish with 1 tsp. butter, dust with flour (tap out excess), and set aside.

2. Boil turnips in a pot of salted water over high heat until soft, 8�10 minutes; drain well and mash until smooth. Melt remaining butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and mashed turnips and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.

3. Add onions and salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste. Remove pot from heat and gradually stir in egg yolks. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.

4. Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form, gently fold into turnip mixture, and spoon into prepared dish. Bake until puffed and golden, 35�40 minutes

See, you thought I didn't have one, didn't you? LOL I wonder if there is anything you CAN'T make a souffle with?

Annie

o

A souffle never heats up well at all.
It's a puffed eggy thing and when you let it cool, it deflates into a soggy mass, never to rise again.
Best make a turnip gratin or assemble and bake the souffle at the destination.

an old recipe...
SERVES 4 � 6

If you don't boil it into oblivion, the humble, dependable turnip may surprise you with its sweet warmth. This recipe is from Clementine Paddleford's classic How America Eats (Scribner, 1960).

3 medium turnips, peeled, trimmed, and diced
4 tbsp. butter
4 tbsp. flour
1⁄3 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp. yellow onion, peeled and minced
Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
4 eggs, separated

1. Preheat oven to 350�. Grease a 6-cup souffl� dish with 1 tsp. butter, dust with flour (tap out excess), and set aside.

2. Boil turnips in a pot of salted water over high heat until soft, 8�10 minutes; drain well and mash until smooth. Melt remaining butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and mashed turnips and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.

3. Add onions and salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste. Remove pot from heat and gradually stir in egg yolks. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.

4. Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form, gently fold into turnip mixture, and spoon into prepared dish. Bake until puffed and golden, 35�40 minutes.

o

So, could I make it up the day of and keep it warm somehow, but I guess it would fall still.

Maybe not such a good idea to make this eh. LOL

o

This is a Tried and True recipe that my Mom has made and now I make. A few members here and at the Table have made it and like it a lot, as well.

Turnip Puff

6 cups cubed turnips
2 tbsp. butter
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
2 tbsp. butter, melted

Cook turnip until tender. Drain and mash. Add butter and eggs. Beat well. (this much can be done the day ahead.)

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir into turnips.

Butter a casserole and put in turnip mixture; combine
crumbs and butter. Sprinkle on top. Bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until light brown.

o

What about making the batter ahead of time?

o

You could do steps 1 through 3 ahead of time. The egg whites would deflate if left to sit so step 4 should be done just before baking the souffle.

o

I bought a bunch of harukei turnips at White Gate Farm on Saturday and I've been pondering what to do with them. I don't eat turnips... well, until now! I haven't encountered them often, and I wasn't sure I'd like them. These sound like great ideas!

For Easter (just the two of us) we are either having Meat Loaf or farm fresh pork kielbasa (DH's choice). I bet both the turnip souffle or the puffs woud work with either meat. I've also always wanted to make a souffle and never have, so this might be a good time to check off two new experiences in one!

The one turnip of the bunch we have eaten I sliced thin with a mandoline, placed slices in microwave for 20 seconds with 3 small dots of butter, salt and pepper and used them on salad. I have 4 more, though! hmmmm... harukei souffle...

o

Small fresh turnips are wonderful raw....sweet and crunchy and very like jicama. I have never eaten a cooked turnip dish I really liked.

o

I would absolutely recommend jasdip's Turnip Puff recipe.

It was a serious hit here at Thanksgiving.

o

Thanks Susytwo!

I had offered to do the potatoes and my Asian coleslaw for our Easter dinner, then I got told that I just *had* to make the turnip puff too! Tradition is hard to break. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here