Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 11:32

Check the link out.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Roast

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Had Any Boston Roast Lately?

The packaging on the one I cooked last week still says Boston butt!

o

Sounds like we will have to learn a new language I wonder how fast Canada will follow suit in the renaming process.

o

Boston Butt hasn't been called Boston Butt here for as long as I can recall. Actually not sure if it ever was.

It's a pork shoulder roast or now I see pork blade roast...but not butt.... LOL

I have never seen a flat iron, skirt steak or tri tip here.......however if I ask my butcher he produces said cut but he butchers it specially. You would never see it in the meat section of a grocery store...or at least I haven't.

o

Saw that article on Comcast yesterday & mentioned it to DH. Just another way to charge a bit more. Boston Roast sounds more upscale than Boston Butt. :)

/tricia

o

I still see "butt" used on our labels. Hams are either shank end or butt end.

o

I've seen it on hams but never on fresh pork roasts...never.

o

This never would have caught my attention if Dcarch had not posted this thread yesterday.

Perusing the Sunday ads this morning I saw a special on pork. I had to take a closer look to see what term they used. What on earth is a shoulder butt steak? And which end did it come from?

I think they covered their bases. Thanks a butt Dcarch!

o

Ha, Teresa, that reminds me of my complain, "Country Style Ribs".

What is Country Style? and where are the ribs?

Is there a City Style Ribs?

dcarch

o

Not that I know of. But there is City Chicken that is made with pork. It's made with cubed boneless country ribs and cubed veal if you can afford it.

And there are St. Louis style riblets. I guess those could be city ribs. :-)

o

The terminology of pork cuts is a mess and the new changes will make it worse.

The biggest problem has been the use of the term "butt". The shoulder is usually sold in two portions, one of which is the butt portion and the other of which is the picnic, (which with other meats, such as lamb, would be called the shank). So, butt refers to the butt of the shoulder, not the butt of the pig. The butt of the pig is called the ham.

To add more confusion, a picnic portion of the shoulder, when smoked, is called a picnic ham, whereas the ham from the rear end of the pig is a ham whether fresh or smoked. The default term, ham, is for the smoked version whereas the fresh version must be specified, as in "fresh ham".

The link below is a diagram which, unfortunately does not indicate the hocks and is labeled "picture of the beef carcass". Oh well, I think you can see it is a pig.

If you think I am mistaken about any of this, chances are that I am. :-)

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuts of Pork

o

Down here, we still have butts. Big ones, too!

o

Jim, it's the same here. Butt is actually shoulder and the butt is ham. Go figure. I always have the hocks smoked and the jowls made into bacon, and sometimes I hear the hocks referred to as "trotters", although that's actually the pig feet (which my grandmother used to pickle and call "knuckles").

Yes, it's a mess.

Chase, I also never see flat iron steak or skirt steak here, but I occasionally see tri-tip, mostly in the southeast corner of the state near Detroit. We also occasionally get flank steak, mostly used for fajitas and London Broil.

Annie

Annie

o

That's a picture of a whole pork shoulder if I'm reading the label correctly w. both butt and picnic portions. Seems a bit light

o

Ann lives in Canada. The weight is in kilograms. I think the pork pictured must weigh over 9 pounds. Which seems about right.

o

"That's a picture of a whole pork shoulder if I'm reading the label correctly w. both butt and picnic portions."

That is my guess. However:

"Seems a bit light."

1.890 kg = 4.167 lb. I agree, 12-18 lbs. would be more like it.

Here is a link to a better site about pork butt.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork Butt

o

Not even close. Good guess though.

A kilo is 2.2 pounds and this roast is just under 2 kilo making it just over 4 pounds.

~Ann

o

Jim, we were posting at the same time. You got it right.

That is a good site that you linked to.

~Ann

o

Jim, That is one great link. Thanks. Bookmarked.

Also, that is nice forum for smoking information.

dcarch

o

Informative link, thanks Jim.

This thread has me jonesing for pulled pork : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here