Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cream puffs--help, please

Posted by arandygail (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 10:35

I have tried for years to make a decent cream puff, but I have never been successful at the shells. I tried again this morning and suffered another failure. Now, I have some delicious bavarian cream filling and no puffs.

I use the typical mixture of 1 c. water, 1 c. flour, 1/2 c. butter, and 4 eggs. Bake at 400 for 25 min. They puff nicely and turn a beautiful brown, but they fall as soon as I take them from the oven.

Does anyone have a recipe for the shells that I can try?
Or a suggestion for what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Gail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cream puffs--help, please

How big are you making them? I make mine about golf ball sized and they go for 20 - 25 minutes. If yours are larger, maybe they just need to go a little longer so they hold their shape. I like mine to be almost past golden brown but certainly not burnt.

Alexa

o

From Baking 911.com:
"However, if they are removed from the oven too soon, the structure of the shell has not solidified, and it will collapse. However, when you think they are done take one out of the oven and check it by breaking open and checking the interior walls. If wet and eggy, return to the oven as necessary. Remove when done and cool on a wire rack."
-----------------------------------
Turn off oven and let pan sit on open door to cool slowly so they do not collapse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cream Puff & Eclair Shells

o

When you're mixing the ingredients in the pot you have to make sure to mix long enough to dry the batter a bit. I continously mix for 4 or 5 minutes before removing from heat.

I've never had a problem.

Bonnie

o

I agree with the above help. Mix well..you've made it if you go a few more minutes past your arm falling off. LOL
And turn off the oven and open the door to let dry out a bit more with no heat. I live in a mostly damp climate. Those are my tricks too.

o

I make cream puffs A LOT, :)

If they fall, you are not baking them long enough - or you live in an extremely humid area.

Here is my method:

Boil 1 cup water with 1 stick real butter. Add 1 cup all purpose unbleached flour and stir in until it forms a ball - I use a silicone heat safe spatula. I mash the ball around a bit to make sure all the flour is incorporated.

Remove from heat for 10 minutes (set a timer!)

I then toss the mixture into my KitchenAid with the paddle attached. I beat one egg in at a time, scrapping down the bowl if needed. Beat each egg in well - 4 eggs in all.

I heat my oven to 400 and line my baking sheet with parchment paper.

I use a large size cookie scoop (just a bit smaller than an Ice cream scoop) to portion out the dough. I usually get around 15 at that size.

I also like to make them in a smaller size using a regular sized cookie scoop. I can get almost 40 at that size.

I usually bake them at least 30 minutes. Maybe a bit longer for the large size.

Every oven varies - you cannot bake them for an exact time - go off of color and feel.

You want them a deep golden brown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here