SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

Need 1st Course for Wine Dinner

moosemac
11 years ago

Once each month for the past several years, we have attended a wine dinner at a local restaurant. The chef is amazing and the events are always more about the food than the wine though some of the wines are excellent.

At last night's wine dinner, the restaurant owner approached me and 3 other foodie/hobby cooks and asked if we would be interested in each preparing a course for a very special private wine dinner to honor the chef.

The dinner will be for 40 guests. Each cook is allowed to bring 7 guests and there will be the chef and 7 guests for a total of 40. We picked a team leader and have a meeting next week to start the planning. The event is in July. I have been assigned the 1st course.

We will have use of the kitchen but it is small for 4 cooks to share so prep will have to be done ahead. Presentation, flavor and wow factor are paramount. For next week, I need to have a list of 5 potential 1st courses so we can start working on the menu. I asked about a theme but the consensus was let’s see what everyone brings to the meeting for recipes and we’ll go from there.

We will also serve as servers, wine stewards, bartenders, etc. We even have a gentleman who volunteered as dishwasher. It will be exhausting but fun and a well-deserved thank you to the chef.

I’m looking for recipe and presentation ideas and any helpful hints to pull this off. I've cooked for large groups before but never this many discerning diners and certainly not 40 plated dishes at once. I appreciate any all suggestions.

Comments (15)