Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting new-to-me website--WikiGullet Project

Posted by Bellsmom (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 10:09

I found this site searching for a reference Dcarch gave me in another thread. It looks really promising. It's been around a nearly a decade, I think, and many of you probably know about it, but it was new to me.

Here is a link to a particular discussion--Cookbooks 2014, for instance:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145635-cookbooks-2014/

By the way, can someone tell me how to paste direct links in the text of a message. The only way I know to do this, like the link above, requires you to copy and paste. I have seen links in the text of messages before, so I know it can be done. I know how to use the method I did below, but I can only do one direct link in a post.

Here is a link that might be useful: And here is a link to the listing of EGullet Forums

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting new-to-me website--WikiGullet Project

Yeah, Bellsmom, I found that site interesting too. :)

This is an old system and uses HTML code directly in your message writing box--NOT bulletin board code, which comes in square brackets, but HTML in angled brackets. Angle brackets on your keyboard are what you would call less than and greater than signs. You can't use them in normal posts because they're interpreted as code and will disappear. Using the code for this is a letter not a code, here is a template for what it should look like:

CRAP! That didn't work. It was okay on preview, translated the codes to text, then tried to run it.

Okay, in long form English:

less-than-sign a hef="YOUR LINK WITH HTTP:// HERE" greater-than-sign YOUR TEXT TO BE LINKED HERE less-than-sign /a greater-than-sign

You don't need any spaces except between a and href (anchor, hypertext reference)--and whatever belongs in the text part--but do need the equals and quote marks.

This post was edited by plllog on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 13:59

o

Another view of the html code.
Btw, as pllog said, there should only be one space, between A and HREF, as shown.

<a href="paste your url here"></a>

Sol

o

Wonderful, Sol.
I tried to do what Pillog said and couldn't make it work. This is so much better than mucking about with a pasted in address that has to be copied and repasted to use.
Thanks.

o

Thanks, Sol!

Okay for the record (I don't care, but just to be clear), it's three l's. PLLLOG, though you could make one of them into a one if you knew which, because modern fonts are different. ;)

o

Plllog
No wonder I could never find you when I searched for Pillog! I made the first L an I (an "eye", not a "one"!)

Duh.

o

eGullet is one of the best food/cooking forum/websites. I've been a follower and sometimes participant for years.

~Ann

o

I saw your pictures when I was looking earlier, Ann. Everyone has such gorgeous photography. I'm not sure if it's "for me" but it's interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here