Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ramps....the woods are full of them!

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 9:27

It's that time of year again. I could gather buckets of wild ramps every day and still have enough for all of you! LOL

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

"Wild Leeks" (another name for them) are so delicate and flavorful. We use them in omelets most often, but I have a recipe for Ramp & Buttermilk Biscuits with Cracked Coriander that I want to try this week.

Does anyone else use ramps? What do you make with them?

(Now if I could only find some morels like my neighbor always does...)

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ramps....the woods are full of them!

I have a neighbor who is originally from W. Virginia. He introduced me to Ramps years ago and grows them in his yard. Last week, he gave me a bag full of them and I will probably saute them with potatoes. I have used them in in just about any chicken dish that I've made that calls for onions and garlic and I once made a ramp and horseradish cream cheese dip with bacon and bleu cheese. I really enjoy them; just wish the season were longer!

o

I haven't been anywhere to find any this year, but I use them in place of leeks in potato soup.

Annie

o

Until I started posting here, I had never of a ramp. I wouldn't know what one looked like to find them. Wish I was up your way, Linda, so I could try some.

o

C'mon over, Sherry! We'll go "ramp diggin'"! LOL

You probably have them out by you. I'll try to take a photo of them growing so maybe you can identify some on your property.

Linda

o

I've never had ramps but they sound right up my alley. I'm always happy to eat anything in the leek or onion family! Do they grow in the shade? Since I don't know where to find them around here, does anyone know of a source so I could plant some?

o

Lord have mercy! In a county nearby me, in Cosby, TN, there's a Ramp Festival every year. I've never tasted them, but I've heard so many reports that they literally reek as does whoever eats them. Maybe they're stronger tasting in Tennessee. Most interesting!....Me..I've never tasted them nor had any desire to until now.LOL

jude

o

I wonder if they would be good with fiddlehead ferns? I have plenty of those right now, although I prefer my clumps were a little more established before they were eaten.

o

Claire, they grow in the woods here, and our soil is quite heavy, lots of clay.

I would be happy to send you some seeds later on if you'd like to try planting some. You'll have to remind me to go gather some, tho.

Jude, they are very mild flavored. Maybe they are stronger in the south, I dunno.

Linda

o

Wow, I have never seen these before. I don't use leeks because they are expensive in the grocery store. If I could get them wild for free, I definitely would try them! :-)

Al

o

Of course the woods are full of ramps. Where else would the little woodland creatures do their death defying aerial tricks?

o

Here are some pix of what they look like growing in the woods.

Al, these are small, about the size of a scallion. But packed with flavor!

I put my foot in the picture so you could get a perspective on the size of the plant.

(Click on the photos to enlarge)

Also, notice the grass growing next to the ramp plant...

And from a distance...

Linda

o

Wow - I'm with Al. Never heard of them but good to know. Wish I owned some woods. Maybe some day!
So...how long does the season last?
Do they flower or bolt or do something that would let you know on later walks where to go next spring?

o

I have heard of them and other here head for the forest preserves to gather them, but I was never positive enough to dig them. I think on the way home I will stop and grab some to try. I did look last year, but was nervous.

Linda, are they usually near water or moist areas?

o

I would really like to try them, just to afraid of picking and eating the wrong thing. No one here eats them that I know of.

o

From kframe:
"Of course the woods are full of ramps. Where else would the little woodland creatures do their death defying aerial tricks?"

LOL! Now we know.

Rusty

o

There are lots of types of wild onions. Not much that is poisonous looks like an onion bulb, so I wouldn't worry too much about eating them if they looked like an onion so unless you just eat whatever weed you pulled up willy nilly, they are an easy food to forage. Plus they smell like onion, it's pretty obvious what they are. I'm not an onion fan, but I have tons in my yard.

o

Larry Groce, of 'Junk Food Junkie' fame, is the host of 'Mountain Stage'; he also wrote a song several years ago, (The Ramp Song) in which he extols the virtue of those wild onions. Can't find it either on YouTube or anywhere else.

IMHO they're nasty, and are nuisance in a yard--but maybe I've never had them prepared well.

o

Marys1000, they are one of the first green things to show up in the spring, and if I recall we can usually dig them for about a month and then the foliage dies back.

They do have a fairly non-descript flower that once it fades produces the prettiest little seeds! They look like beebees made of broze or gunmetal.

Most of ours do grow within 100-200 feet of a marshy area, but thee are a few scattered about in the drier soil. But all are in the shade of the woods.

Arley....tell us how you really feel! LOL

Linda

o

I've never had them and not sure if they grow down here or not. I'd give them a try if I had a source. Enjoy Linda!

David

o

Crap! I just read on a local cooking forum that it is illegal to pick/dig them in the county forest preserves. But they tell me Whole Paycheck has them and Hmart is selling them as "wild garlic".

o

Peppi, I'd be interested to know what they sell them for. I read a while back that restaurants will pay top dollar for ramps!

Wild Garlic?....they're way more like an onion than garlic!

Linda

o

We must not have those here. Our wild onions look nothing like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here