SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fishymom

How to substitute coconut flour for almond flour

fishymom
9 years ago

I made this Clementine Cake yesterday and my husband and I liked it very much. My daughter would like to make it for a party next weekend but cannot use wheat flour or almond flour due to guest allergies. She would like to use coconut flour, but I do not have a lot of experience substituting coconut flour in recipes. I have read that you coconut flour requires a lot more liquid, so you need to either add more eggs or reduce the flour. She is going to try to find time to do a test run, but with her schedule (college athlete), it probably won't happen. Can anyone offer suggestions on the best way to alter this recipe to use coconut flower? Thanks!

Clementine Cake

Ingredients
4 to 5 clementines (about 1 pound total weight)
6 eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/3 cups ground almonds
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder

Directions
Put the clementines in a pot with cold water to cover, bring to the boil, and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the seeds. Then finely chop the skins, pith, and fruit in the processor (or by hand, of course).

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Butter and line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper.

Beat the eggs. Add the sugar, almonds, and baking powder. Mix well, adding the chopped clementines. I don't like using the processor for this, and frankly, you can't balk at a little light stirring.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover the cake with foil after about 40 minutes to stop the top from burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, in the pan on a rack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clementine Cake

Comments (2)