SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Never heard of it one minute, it's everywhere the next: LOQUATS

lowspark
11 years ago

Have you ever had that experience? Two weeks ago, I'd never hear the word "loquat" in my life. Then someone (and I can't for the life of me remember who now!) was mentioning to me something about loquats and somoene else (who was it?) said they went to someone's house for the express purpose of gathering loquats to make jam. (I think!)

Honestly, I didn't pay much attention, as you've probably guessed by now, as I didn't know or much care what a loquat was or have any intentions of making loquat anything myself.

Well, then Saturday evening, we were going out with some friends who picked us up and as we were backing out of the driveway, my friend says, hey, what's that tree blooming in your back yard? The tree was in a corner of the yard behind the garage, a spot I never really notice, and actually in the neighbor's yard but overhanging into mine. I was nonplussed.

So, I went back there eventually and lo and behold, there's a fruit laden tree with lots of ripe and ripening fruit hanging there, ready for picking. I picked a few and took them into the house to examine them. I had no idea what they were. I'd never seen anything like them. But the word "loquat" was lingering in my memory so that's the first thing I looked up.

And yup! You guessed it. They are loquats. I haven't tasted them yet, but will. I'm wondering if they are worth harvesting and doing something with them. And of course, where better to ask for that kind of information than here?

So. at the end of this long story, here's my question:
LOQUATS -- what would you do with them?

Comments (12)