SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

White corn tortillas-ways to use them and what did I get wrong?

rob333 (zone 7b)
11 years ago

I wanted these to try a recipe I have stewing in my brain. I love flautas, but the restaurant that made these closed. It figures! Good food and margaritas with fresh lime juice. Mmm! Stupid economy. Anyway, I bought these thinking they'd taste the same as yellow, but no way. I usually eat flour, so I am not well versed in corn. So what are some good ways to use these up? I keep thinking, if I use them in the right recipe, they're probably really good. So far, tomato based stuff doesn't seem to be right. Too sweet? That, and I keep using chicken. Any suggestion?

Or maybe it's just the recipe (This is close. I am going to try the yellow corn tortillas next time). It's by the seat of my pants, so I might be forgetting something.

Chicken Flautas
Onion
Bell pepper (I bet chilies would be good)
Veg oil
Chicken breasts
Tomato paste (what I had on hand)
Chicken stock

Cook vegetables until tender. Remove them. Brown the chicken. Shred it. Put it all back in the pan with some taco seasoning, tomato paste and thinned with chicken stock. Simmer for a few minutes. Cool and refrigerate.

Place chicken mixture in a corn tortilla, then roll it up. Secure with a toothpick. Fry them in oil.

Taco seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Comments (13)