SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Jarred Pasta Sauce

gardengrl
15 years ago

Almost every week, 3 of my local grocery stores run specials (buy-one-get-one usually)on jarred pasta sauce. Usually, each store is running a special on a different brand (competition and all).

I mostly make my own sauce, but it would be nice to have a quick fall-back if I wanted an easy pasta dish during the work week. Sometimes I have my own jarred sauce available from canning, but not always.

Is there a brand of pasta sauce that you like or prefer over others?

Comments (46)

• lisbet
    15 years ago

In our house we love the Classico Brand. Think it is closest to homemade. Also, when I have some leftover gravy from a roast or stew, I add that. Makes for a really tasty sauce for over your pasta.

We expecially like the hot and spicy....does not have all that much heat to it, just right!

• lisazone6_ma
    15 years ago

I've tried a few different brands, but I always come back to Ragu. I actually like their Traditional, plain variety the best. We also buy the 3 cheese one, or it might be 4 cheese - I don't recall off the top of my head. I mainly make my own as well, but there's always a night when you need something quick and jar sauce is handy to have on hand. I also use the jar sauce to make things like eggplant parm or a casserole my mother-in-law made that's a good make ahead and freeze dish.

Lisa

• Related Discussions

where do you get your bottles and jars for hot sauce?

Q

Comments (4)
    Woozy bottles are great. Check out the link below I purchased 12 and the red caps at a great price. You can also google woozy bottles and search around, I did not find a better price but you may. Mark Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Sauce bottles
    ...See More

What is your favorite family recipe

Q

Comments (9)
    Black Raspberry Pie 1 ten inch double crust pie unbaked 2 quarts of frozen black raspberries, juice and berries thawed 1 1/4 cups white sugar 1/2 cup (scant) white flour Several pats of butter More white sugar to sprinkle on the top crust Mix the berries with the sugar and flour. Pour into pie shell. Dot with butter. Place top crust on, be sure to have some slits. Sprinkle some white sugar on the top. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about an hour. Place this on a jelly roll sheet to catch any juice that might boil out and it is easier to put in and take out of the oven that way. Let cool some before cutting. Sue
    ...See More

Favorite Chicken Recipes Redux

Q

Comments (40)
    Ann, try saving it to your Clippings. Look to the right of your last post (just above this). You will see the word Clippings in green letters. Under that it will say Clip This Post. For each recipe or comment you want to save, click on Clip This Post. Another way to do it is to highlight the entire thread, or the parts you want, right click with your mouse and then click on Copy. Start a new document in Word and paste the thread into that document, then save it to your computer. If you want me to do that for you and then email it to you, let me know.
    ...See More

Improving store bought pasta sauce?

Q

Comments (22)
    I've told this before....but will again... When I had teen aged kids that often needed a quick meal because they had work or reheasal or a lesson in 20 minutes, I always kept a jar of pasta sauce in the cupboard. One evening, we were having spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner, the last of my big batch of cooked all day "Sunday Gravy" deliciousness....and a friend stopped in and I said, stay for dinner, we're having spaghetti. Then looked at the spaghetti sauce and realized it would be skimpy, so I thought i would add a can of the jarr stuff ( likely Prego!)...so I did and tasted it...WOW! Hotter than he!!....checked the jar and I had added a jar of salsa. So I added a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of tomato paste, some wine, oregano....and another small can of tomatoes.....and served it up. It was pretty good, spicy but good....but I now had enough for 2 more meals!!
    ...See More
  • sushipup1
    15 years ago

We like the Newman's sauces. Especially a few spoonfuls over grilled whole hot italian sausages.

• velodoug
    15 years ago

We make our own sauce too*, but when we're camping and want to do pasta and sauce in one pot** we like Prego Traditional sauce.

* Sauté garlic in olive oil. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and a pinch of sugar. Cook until the oil emulsifies with the tomato liquid. It's ready before the pasta is cooked.

** Boil the pasta. Drain in a colander. Heat the sauce in the same pot. Add the pasta. Stir and serve.

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

We're a Classico house. Right now our favorite is 4 Cheese, and we also loved the Spicy Tomato Pesto that for some reasons the markets here don't carry.

Emily

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

actually it's Hunt's in the can. The 4 cheese or the traditional for the boys.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

When we run out of homemade sauce from our roma tomatoes, or when we are having a large family gathering, we use Prego mushroom sauce...doctored up. We put in spices and sausage,etc. to make it taste as close to homemade as possible. NancyLouise

• lindac
    15 years ago

Well, I can tell you what NOT to buy!
    I like to keep a jar of pasta sauce too....for a quick meal. Well last night I needed a quick meal and opened a jar of Emeril's vodka sauce....looked good, smelled good....but when I heated it up, it exuded that smell of canned soup....sorry I don't know what it it that turns me off...but that smell!
    I threw out the dinner and ate an egg, and this morning when I went to rinse out the pan, I just about gagged.
    But...a can of newman's own works OK for me....it doesn't seem to have that artificial taste.
    Linda C

• vacuumfreak
    15 years ago

I also like Ragu Traditional, but thought I'd be banned from the forum for saying so! Glad there's at leat one other member who likes it. I tried to make my own sauce one time... it was too acidic so I added sugar or baking soda and it turned an awful orange color and had such a terrible taste, it all went in the trash. I've made the noodles from scratch and used jarred Ragu on them... seems almost cooking blasphemy!

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

When I can't make my own I will only use Rao's. No other kinds are ever in my pantry. Rao's is expensive but there are only two of us and we never use a whole jar at one time. The rest of the jar keeps a long time in the fridge. Yes, this tells me there are lots of preservatives. Sometimes you just have to live with things you don't like.

• pkguy
    15 years ago

I normally buy the Classico as well, stocking up when it's on sale. If not that then the Hunts in the can varieties aren't bad and cheaper too, often I can get them for 99 cents but the Classico never goes under $2.50 here, it's regularly around $3 to $3.50 a jar. Can't say as I ever cared for the Ragu but it's often on sale for 99 cents in the smaller jar. Cdn prices but I didn't notice any real difference in prices between our A&P and Kroger in Michigan
    My last trip into Kroger a couple of weeks ago they had jars of pasta sauce for the likes of $6 , don't think so.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

I use all brands ,because I think they all have to be doctored a little ,
    to get the homemade taste.
    I add Garlic powder Onion Pwd, etc. and simmer a little.
    ( yes Powder )
    Add Parmesan Cheese a few minutes before it is done.

If there is an Aldi's Market near you, try " Mamma Cozzies"
    Spaghetti Sauce.
    It is the closest I've found, to Home Made.

LOU

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Both my girls like Prego, I suppose it's because of the corn syrup. Neither of them like homemade sauce, no matter who makes it or which recipe is used, they only want Prego. They'll eat Ragu in a pinch but it's not their first choice.

Annie

• woodie
    15 years ago

Rao or Patsy's (Beverly, Patsy's is really similar to Rao's - and both are old favorite NYC restaurants - and sometimes on sale when Rao's is not, and vice versa).

• shambo
    15 years ago

If you're watching your sodium intake, Classico Roasted Garlic is really low. Just 220 mg. sodium per 1/2 cup serving. Believe me, I've spent many an hour (literally) reading all the labels of jarred pasta sauce in my three local grocery stores. Some jarred sauces contain over 700 mg. sodium for the same serving size. Way too much for my husband's salt-restricted diet. Like others, I'll throw in additional herbs & spices and a splash of extra virgin olive oil. To lower the sodium content even more, I'll mix in a can of no-salt-added tomato sauce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Please DON'T Pass the Salt!

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

I used to buy jarred sauce all the time, but haven't in years. I have never bought Rao's because it's like $7.50 a jar here! Nope....not gonna do that.

I didn't mind some of the Classico sauces and some of the Barilla sauces are OK, too. But after I found this recipe, it makes no sense to buy jarred. Super easy and enough to freeze for another meal...or two....or three...

Basic Marinara
    Source: Cooking Light October 2007

3T olive oil
    3 c chopped onion
    1T sugar
    3T minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp dried basil
    1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
    2T balsamic vinegar
    2 c chicken broth
    3 28oz cans crushed tomatoes

Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, cook 4 minutes stirring frequently. Add sugar and next 7 ingredients (through fennel), cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in vinegar, cook 30 seconds. Add broth and tomatoes, bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat 50-60 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.

Yield: about 12 cups sauce

Linda

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Ragu or Prego have been my stand by for years. Yes, I have a few jars in the pantry right now. Classico and Rou are good too but never seem to be on sale. Having said that, I love making my own thanks to this forum and receiveing some from Sharon in a swap years ago. Sharon's recipes are fantastic! They are on the canning list for this year again. Also, Joe's sauce for his killer lasagna is one I play with and use as a basic pasta sauce.

David

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Prego is what I can afford and usually have in my pantry. I like that it comes in two sizes. It takes to doctoring.
    Ragu is what I buy when it's on sale for less than Prego.
    Newman's Own is what I like the best, especially the Sockaroni Sauce.

• pkguy
    15 years ago

Well I just got home from Walmart and found Classico packaged in 3 packs for $5 so I bought 3 packs of 3. Of course they didn't have them right on the same shelf as all the jarred pasta sauces, they were on a stand alone shelf down the aisle near the end and easy to miss. The single jars were $2.47 regular price.. I thought they were more than that, maybe at the little store I usually got to
    btw again that's Cdn money... knock 20% to convert to US

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So it seems that Classico is most favored followed by Rao's pasta sauce. I know I've seen Classico on sale a bunch, so I'll keep an eye out.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Everyone here prefers Ragu Traditional as far as jarred sauce goes. Add a bit of sausage, meatballs or even just veggies and everyone is happy.

Alexa

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

Another Ragu Traditional or Mushroom here. I think I like it because I don't like oregano and it seems to be the most basil based one around. When I do use it I'll often add a can of puree to make it a bit more homemade tasting.

For a super easy dish I make my crockpot chicken with it. Take a smallish chicken and stuff it in the crockpot face down. Pour a jar of sauce inside and around. Cook on low for the day. Really tastes good and then I serve the sauce on pasta with the meat alongside.

We use it sometimes also for that good old La dish, weinie stew. Jar of sauce, sliced hotdogs, served over mashed potatoes.

Nods, yes, Classico has too much oregano for me. Also, I can get the large Ragu pretty cheap. I don't use it that often but do keep it around. I think it does pretty well on things like ravioli too. I always have my frozen basil to add to it.

• Nancy
    15 years ago

We get whatever is cheapest, often the canned Hunt's. I do "doctor" them. I've made homemade which I loved, but the rest of the family just said YUK. They don't like the fresh taste :)

• lisazone6_ma
    15 years ago

There are tons of new brands that I haven't tried yet, and they're all pretty pricey. I'd rather make it myself than pay a high price for a jar sauce. And I think that's why I like the traditional Ragu - I like a simple sauce. I never buy things with mushrooms and sausage, peppers, etc. Those things go in specific dishes, not a general spaghetti sauce - at least in my family. And it's basically around for when I run out of homemade which isn't that often.

And it's funny - one brand I absolutely HATED was Prego and that seems to be a lot of people's favorite. I'm not sure if I've ever tried Classico or not. So once again, it's a matter of differing tastes and to each his own! Maybe I should try one of the premium ones, tho - if they're that good, it might be worth it for as often as I use jar sauce.

Lisa

• Lars
    15 years ago

To me, Prego and Ragu are both too salty, but then I have a slight aversion to salt, which I guess is a good thing. I think Classico and Barillo are acceptable for the low priced jars, but once I tried 6-in-1 canned tomatoes, I got hooked on that. To me, it is as easy to open a can as to open a jar, and the 6-in-1 tomatoes need very little to make a sauce.

If you can find a jarred brand that has artichoke hearts in it, buy that. Do check the sodium content because the ones high in sodium will be too salty.

Lars

• obxgina
    15 years ago

I make my own sauce as well. Nothing like a pot of sauce and meatballs and sausage simmering all day long. But for those quick emergencies I only use Classico 4 cheese. Many of the other sauces are too sweet or salty for us. Gina

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I've bought the Rao's at TJ Maxx and it's pretty good. Whole Foods here in LA sells an Italian organic brand which is great, but I don't see it very often. And I'll use Classico, but I have to doctor it up quite a bit for my family to eat it.

• granjan
    15 years ago

I agree with Lars that with 6-in-1 you almost have a sauce already! Since I saute onions, peppers and garlic and usually mushrooms before I add any jarred sauce I don't usually care what brand it is. Then I simmer some fresh rosemary or oregano stems in it and it usually tastes just fine. And I always keep frozen artichoke hearts to add. When topped with fresh Parm and perhaps basil it's dinner for us! I NEED the fresh stuff to make it good.

• sands99
    15 years ago

Another Newman's Own vote here, Classico isn't bad either. Can't fake bolognese or vodka sauce though, you *gotta* make those from scratch.

I have a friend who swears by adding a cup of water to jarred sauce and then simmering it off - claims it burns off all the 'jar' taste. I think she just likes the spatter all over the stove so it looks like she's been slaving away all day when dh gets home.

• jojoco
    15 years ago

Rozzano's from BJ's. It is wonderful. I've stopped buying anything else since I discovered this brand. Runs about $3/jar.

Jo

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I usually buy the Barilla sauces when not making my own.
    I do like them better than Classico.

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

I was at the market today and Rao's was 8.99! I don't think so! I really like Mid's Italian Sausage and got hooked on it when it was on sale. But today the normal price was 4.99. I considered it, but went with Classico on sale for $2.50. My homemade is awesome, but I always burn through it too fast. Gotta remember to do more this year! My mom claimed it was the best sauce she ever ate, and that sure mean't a lot to me!

Duane

• shirleywny5
    15 years ago

My favorite store bought sauce is Classico. I make and can some of my own, however, I do like to mix a jar of mine with a jar of Classico. I then use half for my meal and freeze the remainder. Then, I get to use the Classico jar for pickles.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Another Classico fan. I rarely use it as it is, however, it's for my "fast" sauce, when I've run out of my own frozen packages. I use it as a base, adding spices and meats depending on what I'm making. It has a fresher taste than most jarred and canned sauces, and less of the weird, orange oil that is so difficult to remove from plastic that Ragu has. I generally buy it at Costco, where it is a pretty good price, and then combine it at need with a can or two of tomato sauce, fresh or dried herbs (depending on the time of year) and whatever else I want to add.

Occasionally, I grab a meal just for me by boiling some pasta and using the sauce straight from the jar poured over some quickly fried hamburg or leftover meat, but I miss the rich, meaty flavor of a long simmered sauce with meat juices and all.

Anyway, the jars are also great, and most of my grains, legumes, and nuts are stored in them in my pantry.

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

Its a very rare occasion when I use a jar sauce (The kids and hubby spot it immediately) but admittedly I do keep a jar for emergency usually its Trader Joes Marinara. Ive bought Raos' Patsy's Emerils and thought there were horrible and the price rediculous.

• sharon_s
    15 years ago

My favorite jarred sauce is the Victoria brand marinara. Trader Joe's is pretty good, too. I like to have some in the pantry, for when I'm too tired to do anything else.

• Bizzo
    15 years ago

DH is a Ragu Tradtional guy. Prefers jarred sauce to any homemade, and Ragu is defintely his jar of choice. I doctor mine and simmer veggies in it... his is just Ragu and gr. beef...

• jimster
    15 years ago

I used to doctor up jarred sauces, usually Ragu. Then I realized it was just as easy to doctor up a can of crushed tomatoes (aka making sauce from scratch) and get a better result for a cheaper price. Now, I always use canned or fresh tomatoes unless the only tomato product in the house (bought by DW) is a jar of Classico spaghetti sauce.

My best sauces are based on the amount of good olive oil you would use in an oil based sauce such as alio y olio. Then add only the amount of tomatoes required for good color, flavor and consistency -- just enough, not so much that the pasta is swamped with tomato -- plus garlic, herbs, whatever.

Jim

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

We like Ragu Robusto with Sweet Italian Sausage & Cheese. I add extra fennel, freshly ground, and red pepper flakes.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I like Francisco Rinaldi-- it's at least as good as ragu and hunt's canned, and it's cheaper.

• proudmamato4
    14 years ago

I gravitate towards Barilla and Classico, either tomato and basil or marinara. But I truly love Trader Joe's, and it's cheap, at $1.99/jar all the time.

I usually make my own, that said.

:)

• ann_t
    14 years ago

I never buy jarred sauce, but I always have canned tomatoes in the pantry. That is all I need to make a quick and delicious marinara sauce. The sauce can almost be made in the time it takes to bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta. Seasoning can vary and Italian sausage or prawns or black olives can be added.

My basic recipe is even easier than Linda's (Doucanoe)

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Basic Marinara Sauce
    ====================

Olive oil, fresh garlic, canned Roma Tomatoes, salt, pepper, and basil.

Heat the olive oil with the garlic and saute 30 to 60 seconds, don't let the garlic brown. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil. Do not cover. Just let simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens. Less than 30 minutes. When the sauce is ready to serve add some more fresh chopped basil.

OPTIONS: Toss in some Kalamata olives into the sauce.

or: Saute Italian sausage in the olive oil, add the garlic and the tomatoes...etc...

Or: when the pasta is cooked and the sauce is reduced, toss in a pound of prawns/shrimp. Cook for a minute or two until the prawns are cooked.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

Sounds delicious :-) whole tomatoes, chopped, or puree?

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Jim:
    I put in a lot of recipes for Aglio E Oilo.

It can be made also with Just Oil and no tomatoes.
    And there are many Recipes with Variations.
    Use your imagination .
    You like Fish, let me know what your imagination came up with.

Agilo E Oilo con pepe, sounds good tonite, for me.
    I still have the Recipe !!!( with Oil and Roasted Peppers )

AnnT:

I think what they are talking about here is a close Duplicate for,
    the Home Made-Italian Style Spaghetti Sauce ( Gravy )
    Which is the Crushed Tomatoes, Puree and Paste, with
    all the Goooooood Spices and
    Meatballs , Suasage, Chicken and other meat thrown in too.
    Some use other style tomatoes.

This is a different Style Sauce than Marinara
    I didn't go back and read the Threads again,
    because it seems like it has been going on for a long time.
    - - - - - - - - - -

I did use a can of Del Monte's 4 Cheese Spaghetti Sauce,
    yesterday to make a double serving of Spaghetti and
    Meat balls for a Neighbor Cancer Patient.
    I only had to add some Garlic and Onion powder.

Would never have thought to use Del Monte's. My Daughter
    brought it up and said to try it.

I Posted this on WFD, which is going South once more.
    - - - - - - - - - -

I do your Marinara Style for cooking Whities, White Fish,
    ( Merluzza ) and other Seafood.
    Sometimes with Chicken.

That's what Marinara means( of the Sea ),Marinaio ( Sailor)
    When I lived in Phila. there were many Italian families,
    who came over from Italy, in the neighborhood.

A lot of them were from Coastal Towns and did a lot of Marinara Style sauce.
    My Uncle was one of them . He was from Abruzzi, Italy.
    When I visited him ,
    I was the Garlic and Parsley Chopper.

My Aunt was the Cook and he told her How and What.

The Fish was always delicious in the Marinara Sauce.
    Bread Dipping Good !!!!!

We use a lot of Garlic and Parsley, with a pinch of
    Oregano, along with the Spices you mentioned,
    alon with 1/3 cup of Muscatell Wine.

There are probably some members who " remember " and
    do the Marinara Style with Fish and Seafood, or
    Maybe I'm a loner.

LOU

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I like Ragu tomato basil or some of the ones with 3 or 4 cheeses. I like Prego too. Husband isn't too crazy about anykind of pasta, unless it is chicken and noodles. I wonder why they call it jarred when it is canned. I know it comes in a jar, but it is still canned.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

marilyn :
    ?????????????????????

Be back Monday.
    Lou

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH