SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

The Pig Pen - at The Wharf Pub in Newport

caliloo
11 years ago

We spent last weekend in Newport and had a fantastic time and some great meals. One of the most indulgent was Saturday night at The Wharf Pub, we split an order of The Pig Pen. Unfortunately, I did not get a picture, we dove into them as soon as they arrived at the table.

The description on the menu doesn't do them justice. They were sooooo rich and delish, and something I am definitely going to try to reproduce at home. Oh, and they were served in an 8 inch cast iron pan which just added to the fun. IT seems Tater Tots have become the "new" nachos and are making an appearance on lots of restaurant menus.

"THE PIG PEN
Bacon wrapped tater tots topped with our zesty cheese sauce, chopped jalapeno, fresh scallions and house made BBQ."

Are restaurants in your area putting gourmet Tots on the menu too?

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: THe Wharf Pub

Comments (8)

• brightonborn
    11 years ago

Sounds like a go to destination for me this summer...thank you.

• triciae
    11 years ago

We usually eat at the Red Parrot but will give this a try next time we're in Newport. We usually go for an afternoon about once a month since it's less than an hour's drive.

/tricia

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Tricia

We were at the Red Parrot for happy hour on Sat. Fun place too! I would also recommend Benjamin's for a super non-stuffy fun lunch. Had the fish & chips which was excellent.

Alexa

• wizardnm
    11 years ago

Here's the link to a recipe for making your own tater tots. I haven't had time to try it yet but it sounds good. Kim's favorite food is potatoes, so I am always on the look out for interesting recipes.

Your weekend sounds wonderful. We just got back from Florida last week. I didn't notice TT's on any menu's down there.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Tater Tots

• eileenlaunonen
    11 years ago

I love Newport. In my opinion one of the best weekends their is Octoberfest we went 2 times and we had a great time! Cant remember the name of the restaurant....but I had for the first time....Steamed Clams with Chorizo with broth served with crusty bread it came in a small aluminum bucket........it was soooooo good with a very ice cold beer or two... I think of it often :) I gonna rack my brain on the name of that restaurant. If I remember Ill post it!

• eileenlaunonen
    11 years ago

I FOUND IT!!!! Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant on 140 Thammes Newport.....went to there website its called Gary's Portogese Little Necks! Apparantly im not the only one who enjoys this it has been voted the best 13 recipes of all time by Bon Apetit!!

• cynic
    11 years ago

Tater tots have become more and more popular as time goes on. Arby's has always done well with their "potato cakes" too. A lot of places around here have them as an option now so Atkin's must be dying off in the restaurants.

I've heard of bacon wrapped tater tots and also chili cheese topped tots sometimes bacon is added. Sounds good to me and I'm not ashamed to say I like Tater Tots. Although I'm a potato fan in most forms.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eileen - we were at the Brick Alley for lunch on Friday. My favorite there is the crispy perfectly done calamari with banana pepper rings and aioli. Oh my... what a plate of heaven. That is what I always order when I am there, next time I will try the clams and chourico - it sounds sublime!

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Tater Tot editorial in Bon Appetit magazine