Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerated Pizza Dough

Posted by countrygal_905 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 7:51

I usually make my pizza dough just before making pizza. I want to make the dough on Saturday to use on Sunday. How long should I let it set out before using it? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerated Pizza Dough

I find, with refrigerated dough, it takes about 1-1.5 hours to come to room temperature, and then you have to add the regular rising time (another hour or so).

May I make a suggestion? On Saturday, make your dough, letting it rise as the recipe states, shape, (rise) and bake it so it's cooked, but still very light. Let cool completely, and store in a sealed plastic bag. That will give you a couple of advantages--you won't have to worry about how long to get it out on Sunday, it will be of better quality (I'm never as pleased with refrigerated dough as dough that's made and baked), and it will save you work and time on Sunday. Just use it as you would if you bought a pre-baked shell.

o

Countrygal, I actually have to disagree with Azzalea. Your crust will be that much better, more developed flavour and improved texture if given a longer cold fermentation.

I'd make the dough as early as possible on Saturday (Thursday or Friday would be okay too).

After the first rise, knock it down, cover and refrigerate. Make sure you use a big enough container because the dough will continue to rise. You might have to knock it down more than once.

I find that it takes two to three hours sometimes for the dough to come to room temperature and start to rise again.

Of course this probably depends on the amount of dough. I took a double batch of dough (over 8 cups flour) that I made Monday out of the fridge in stages yesterday - three hours apart. The first batch netted two loaves of bread and a pizza which we had for lunch. And the second batch three loaves.

I make bread most weeks and often plan to bake a pizza intentionally with dough that was made 3 to 5 days earlier.

o

Does the recipe make a difference on which works best and how soon to make the dough ahead?

Here is the recipe I usually use.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup white flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup hot water
2 Tbsp. oil

I always double this recipe to make 2 crusts, but will need to make 2 double batches this time.

o

Nope....your recipe will be fine with what Ann said.

when I make pizza from dough that has been refrigerated, I like to take it right from the refrigerator and roll it out while it's still cold. It doesn't snap back at you that way, and working the dough warms it a bit and rolled out it also warms faster.
After I roll it out I brush or rub on a little olive oil...give it about1 0 minutes while I slice the onions and mushrooms, ladle on the sauce, add the toppings and into the oven. With the oven spring, it's perfect.
Linda C

o

Thanks everyone for your help. Linda, I think I'm going to try rolling it out cold like you suggested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here