Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring! Lotsa Hosta!

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 7:38

So many of you are having a terrible winter. Here in New York Spring has arrived. While you are just getting seeds started, I am harvesting delicious tender hosta shoots.

Hosta is grown in Japan as a vegetable, it is considered a delicacy. It is probably the most amazing vegetable you can grow in your garden. It needs no sun, no fertilizer, no watering, no trimmimg and it is a decorative perennial that comes up every year before anything else. It will be many more weeks before you can have anything edible from your garden.

Hosta shoots are like asparagus and endive without the bitterness, very mild and tender.

dcarch

photo hosta2013_zpsb291b987.jpg

Hosta Tofu Soup
 photo hostatofusoup_zpsfbdf202e.jpg

photo hostatofusoup2_zpsd92df773.jpg

Deep Fried Pork Loin
 photo hostadeepfriedpork2_zpsdd57f0a3.jpg

photo hostadeepfriedpork_zpsbb3e8e0f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring! Lotsa Hosta!

I had already been thinking about your posts from last spring as my hosta came in for three weeks. I suppose mine are too old now? How do you harvest them? Do you slice off a section with a shovel so the clump survives for later decoration and next year's harvest, or do you take the whole thing, or somehow just cut tops??

o

That looks so-o-oo-oo good!
Now my tummy is growling,
And I'll have to eat my lunch early!

Sure wish Host's (and/or asparagus) would grow here!

Rusty

o

Chas - looks like Dc snipped those hostas at the base and left the crown - for next year's crop of course! :-)

o

Didn't know hosta shoots were edible. Your meal looks wonderful!

o

No hostas here, but I can get some pork loin! Looks fabulous.

o

We're too sunny and hot for hostas, but I sure do enjoy seeing your photos of them-as-food, Archie!

Smiles,
Sooz

o

Thanks everyone.

It is so satisfying to have fresh just-picked delicious greens so early in the spring with no work to grow them. It also makes cooking interesting with unusual ingredients.

Chas045, as Teresa said, the shoots are cut close to the roots, but not the roots. Interesting, the more you cut the more will grow for next year.

dcarch

o

I remembered your post from last spring as well. So glad I could assure my horrified DH and a neighbor that hosta are edible and Bailey, one of our Golden Retrievers would be just fine.
Not so much the hosta! ( a little sour apple spray saved the rest)

This post was edited by cooperbailey on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 10:25

o

Cooperbailey, Hosta is enjoyed by many animals and insects, but early in the spring there are no insects.

Hosta gets very tough when the leaves mature. However, the flowers are edible.

dcarch.

o

I've been thinking of you, Dcarch, as the Hostas have been emerging here this spring. I don't have any here in Texas, but my OK house has some. I haven't harvested any yet. Maybe once we finally move up there I'll do so. Nice pics.

Sally

o

Gorgeous pics ! My hosta are all up and I forgot your post from last year. I have to wrap my head around the idea that they are edible :) Will see what happens when DH stir frys some. Thanks for posting . c

o

Sally, Trailrunner, as I said, hosta is used as a vegetable in Japan.

You can Google this for recipes: (LOL !)
ギボウシ 食

Stir fry hosta is delicious and easy.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out the video

o

I didn't know they were edible, either. Now I want some. There's a hosta in the yard at work....it's pretty big now, but I gotta see if there are any shoots. All I have for spring greens are little bitty lettuce, kale, chard and a few bunching onions that made it through winter.

o

Yes, I knew you liked to eat them, Dcarch, that's why I thought of you as I watched them emerge. I don't have enough up in Oklahoma to make a serving, much less part of a meal, and the only ones I see here in Texas are the ones we have for sale at the nursery I work at. I think I'd get in trouble if I harvested those. lol

I did not know, until you mentioned it in your original post, that they are used as vegetables in Japan. I'll have to ask Jerry if he ate any when he was stationed in Okinawa. He really got into the food there.

Sally

o

My family tried some raw. Not bad but DD said it left an aftertaste for her.

Interesting idea. Thanks for posting it.

o

dcarch - thank you. I thought I knew everything and I just learned something today. I actually hate hostas in the garden - they end up crowding everything out with their raggy leaves that get eaten by slugs. But I would definitely cut them as shoots had I known I could eat them. My neighbor grows them and I'm checking first thing in the morning. If there is time, I'm cutting hers!

It's a great use for what is otherwise a useless and unattractive plant.

o

Rosesinny, I must say I love hostas. No issues with slugs and slow spreading. There are different varieties so maybe you need to try a new one (to grow, not eat), lol.

o

Posted by katiec “I didn't know they were edible, either. Now I want some. ------------ All I have for spring greens are little bitty lettuce, kale, chard and a few bunching onions that made it through winter.”
It makes me happy that there is a delicious vegetable which grows in the deep shade, a perennial requiring no care, and which comes up so early in the spring.

Sally, “I did not know, until you mentioned it in your original post, that they are used as vegetables in Japan. I'll have to ask Jerry if he ate any when he was stationed in Okinawa. He really got into the food there.”

I was in Okinawa once. Interesting place. The people there live the longest.

Posted by debrak_2008 “My family tried some raw. Not bad but DD said it left an aftertaste for her.--------”

I suppose most vegetable will leave an after taste, if you taste it the first time.

Posted by rosesinny “------ I actually hate hostas in the garden ------ with their raggy leaves that get eaten by slugs. ------“

Yummy! Hostas with escargot! LOL!

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here