Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I hook up a 5-Gallon Propane Canister to a Commercial Range?

Posted by lombok (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 2:48

I'd like to find it if it is possible to hook up a 5-gallon propane canister to a commercial range (propane model of course).

Reason is I like to cook steaks outdoors so as not to have smoke fill up the house. I have been cooking in my backyard with a table top range hooked up to a 5-gallon propane canister. I'm now looking to replace this little range and get a commercial range for my backyard (with high BTU output). The only caveat is I do not want to install the typical 100-gallon tank (as I cook only once a week); I simply want to run it via the 5-gallon canister.

I've read here that some members have installed propane range using 100-gallon tanks.

Any advice on the feasibility of running 5-gallon canisters on a commercial range is appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is the range I'm looking to use this on

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I hook up a 5-Gallon Propane Canister to a Commercial Ran

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Sure you can hook up a propane tank to a propane stove. As far as using the little 20# tanks, I guess the question is how much will you be using. I'd probably keep a second tank handy, possibly on a switch although not really necessary. I had that on the trailer at the lake so I had 2 100# tanks hooked up and switch over when needed. Then I wouldn't be caught short in the middle of cooking a meal or lose refrigeration since we had a gas frig too. The swutch was quick to switch over when it ran out and I could fill the empty tank at my leisure

Do you have propane for your home? You could even hook it up to the main tank.

Although I guess unless you plan to do much more cooking with the new stove than with the unit you have, and since you didn't indicate contrary, I presume the 20# tank lasts long enough for your needs, so I'd go ahead. You can always get a bigger tank later if you need it and the 20# could be a spare.

o

Look into a turkey fryer burner or outdoor cooker burner, only $100 or so and typically 55,000 btu/hr, considerably more than the 20,000-30,000 btu/hr of a commercial range.

o

I'm no expert but when I moved into an old house a while back, they had the regular stove/oven hooked up to a small, probably 10 or 20 gallon propane tank and I cannot see why it wouldn't have worked with a 5 gallon tank. I do know that when you buy a gas stove, you will need some sort of a converter to convert it from natural gas to propane.

o

Yes, you sure can run a stove off of a 5 gallon tank of propane. Many natural gas stoves can be converted to propane gas simply by changing (sometimes adjusting) the individual burner jets. Keep in mind that in some situations you must use a "LOW pressure" pressure regulator for use on the LPG bottle. The outlet pressure from the 5 gallon bottle to the stove burner is important to obtain the correct operation of the stove.

However, I would suggest you consider using a "HIGH pressure" burner like the ones in the link below. There are several models that work well for cooking steaks. The Cadillac burner pictured below is one type of burner that I have and often use. It has lots of BTUs which I use for stir fry and cooking in large dutch ovens or stock pots. A Wok will fit too into that burner. You will get close to professional tasting stir fry foods because of the high heat capabilities. Suggest you get the stand too to put this stove at about knee height.

I also have the Super Cooker Propane stove. This portable stove is real good for blackening steaks, deep frying, and boiling seafood in large stock pots. Notice the large size of this burner......great for heating large skillets evenly. The pressure regulator that comes with this stove works well. However, I use a better (IMO) adjustable High pressure regulator with my stove to get an even higher BTU output when I need it yet still maintain a barely simmer flame when I need that too. This stove works great and one that I highly recommend. This is coming from a guy who does a lot of cooking outdoors often in huge batches.......

Dan
Semper Fi-cus

Here is a link that might be useful: Portable Propane Stoves

o

A 30lb or 7 1/2gal tank can vaporize enough propane to run a 2'x4' commercial griddle. So yes, a five gal. tank can can run a commercial range. If your not sure just look up the btu output and compare it to this chart...
20# 5g 430,270btu
30# 7.5g 649,980btu
40# 10g 860,542btu
23.6 gal 2,160,504btu

o

Lombok : All Good advice !!!

Just be sure the Range is not set for Natural Gas.

I installed a Natural Gas Home Heater in my home and was going to use Propane.

My Propane Dealer came out and changed the Orfices on the burners, to use Propane .

Size of the tank should be good. Some of the new Barbecues are larger than Commercial Ranges.

LOU

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here