SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Short Notice Dinner

John Liu
11 years ago

Hey, I am making dinner for six on short notice tomorrow.

Well, SWMBO says I was given ample notification. Really? Maybe she published a notice in a newspaper or something.

I want to make some or all of it on the grill, to celebrate the arrival of spring. Even though rain is forecast. Thinking positive here. And I want to keep it pretty simple. I'm out of practice and will likely botch anything complicated.

I don't know the third couple at all. I asked for information on them. "He's a comedian, she is a makeup artist, they are lovely". How is that helpful? I was hoping for "he can eat no fat, his wife can eat no lean" or something relevant.

Okay, with no guidance as to our guests' preferences, I have come up with this. I would appreciate a second thought - critique - ideas - ???

Grilled whole rosemary chicken - I will spatchock two or three birds, lard them with bacon, place them bone side down on a thick bed{{gwi:807}} of rosemary branches. The rosemary catches fire and fills the closed grill with smoke. At the end, the chicken is flipped over briefly to crisp the skin.

Pear pico de gallo - to go on the chicken

Duck fat truffle salt string fries - I'm not positive about the order of things, do I toss the fries in the duck fat before deep frying, or after? I can't deep fry in the fat, I don't have enough of it.

Chocolated roast rainbow carrots - I just want to dip something salty in something semi-sweet. Planning to roast quartered carrots then coat the tips in melted dark chocolate. I was going to do chocolated escargot, but snails really have to be warm when eaten, I think.

What else, or what other, should I do? I tried to avoid fish, pork, lamb, spicy stuff, other common food dislikes. I figured almost everyone eats chicken, fries, and carrots. But is the result going to be too boring?

This post was edited by johnliu on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 0:14

Comments (25)