SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelmaxp

Incredible Asparagus Risotto

michaelmaxp
16 years ago

Not too long ago there was a thread about risotto, good and bad. This particular recipe and video should make a believer out of everybody except maybe asparagus haters.

Here's the recipe by Batali and I've included a link to a 5 minute video on the process. I've had it once and fell in love. I'm making it for dinner Sunday w/ lamb and thought I'd share the wealth.

Enjoy!!

Michaelp

Asparagus Risotto

Almost every cook believes (incorrectly) that risotto must be stirred constantly while youÂre making it. So it was with joy that I discovered that I could follow my own tendency to walk away from the simmering rice for minutes at a time and still get great risotto. You need to stir no more than occasionally. For example, after each addition of liquid and then once or twice more before that liquid evaporates.

This risotto is notable because it contains sufficient quantities of fat and is finished with a puree of asparagus, which heightens both color and flavor. It is served quite loose and soupy: the creamy brothiness is lovely.

Start with asparagus no less than a quarter-inch thick. Peel the stalks first. DonÂt forget the butter. And remember not to stir too much.

Asparagus Risotto Adapted from Mario Batali Time: 45 minutes - Yield: 3 to 4 servings.

1 pound asparagus, peeled, trimmed and cut into one-inch-long pieces, tips reserved

4 to 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons butter

1/3 medium red onion, diced

1 1/2 cups Arborio rice

1/2 cup dry white wine

Salt to taste

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add half the asparagus stalks and cook until quite soft, at least 5 minutes. Rinse quickly under cold water. Put cooked asparagus in a blender or food processor and add just enough water to allow machine to puree until smooth; set aside.

2. Put stock in a medium saucepan over low heat. Put oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. When it is hot, add onion, stirring occasionally until it softens, 3 to 5 minutes.

3. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is glossy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add white wine, stir, and let liquid bubble away. Add a large pinch of salt. Add warmed stock, 1/2 cup or so at a time, stirring occasionally. Each time stock has just about evaporated, add more.

4. After about 15 minutes, add remaining asparagus pieces and tips, continuing to add stock when necessary. In 5 minutes, begin tasting rice. You want it to be tender but with a bit of crunch; it could take as long as 30 minutes total to reach this stage. When it does, stir in 1/2 cup asparagus puree. Remove skillet from heat, add remaining butter and stir briskly. Add Parmesan and stir briskly, then taste and adjust seasoning. Risotto should be slightly soupy. Serve immediately.

Here is a link that might be useful: great risotto video

Comments (16)